Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion

/ Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion
XFaxman,
Your right I must have been looking at larger machines.

I think you said you've had tractors before too. How does your machine (which model is yours?) compare to the tractors you've had?

Can you think of anything that your tractors did better? That's definitely an interesting machine for sure, I've never seen one before.

How is the ground clearance? What about visibility when backing up? For instance when your using the box blade it looks like you wouldn't be able to see where your going very easily? Feel free to post more pics of that thing!

I have all all three and what it sounds like you just need a bigger tractor. Ive got bobcat CT235, T190, and 331 excavator. Also got larger excavators Cat 336, 320 etc. One thing about big machines are big maintenance. Say you have to do undercarriage + $15,000. Sounds like you just need a bigger tractor and have them come in and clear the ground.

Catdozer,
So your saying you think it would be best to rent out the heavy work, and then just clean it up with a (bigger) tractor?

I hear ya on the maintenance. I know it would be a risk to buy any type of heavy machinery with the intention of selling it for what I bought it for at the end. I have no idea yet how the undercarriage is, I don't even know what to look for, so I would definitely need someone experienced to help me check it out. Although I do have to say that I wouldn't have any reservations from buying it from the seller since it's a family friend.

As many of you are aware, I've also thought very often of selling my tractor and replacing it with a larger, more expensive one. However, I think that my tractor and another piece of equipment may be more useful than one single larger tractor.

Duplicate post.
:mad:

Off topic, but have you guys noticed a ridiculous amount of duplicate posts in the last 2 months? It seems like there must be something wrong with the forum because I've never seen so many duplicates. :thumbdown:

Okay, back to the subject...

xfaxman,
Does your versahandler have the ability to change out implements without getting out of the seat? I've heard (and don't even know if this is true) that some skid steers have some sort of automatic lock and unlock for the quick attach setup, where you dont' need to dismount the machine to change out implements (assuming there are no hyd hoses)

/ Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion #35  
XFaxman,
Your right I must have been looking at larger machines.

I think you said you've had tractors before too. How does your machine (which model is yours?) compare to the tractors you've had?

Can you think of anything that your tractors did better? That's definitely an interesting machine for sure, I've never seen one before.

How is the ground clearance? What about visibility when backing up? For instance when your using the box blade it looks like you wouldn't be able to see where your going very easily? Feel free to post more pics of that thing!

I have had several tractors over the last 30 years. This is the one I sold soon after I bought the V518 in September 2009.

P9300007.JPG

Here you can see the size of each.

P9260009.JPG

When it got stuck, I had to pull it out with the 1 ton 4X4, or the winch on the front. The Versahandlers have been stuck many places that a that a tractor would have had to be towed from, but they always got out, using the boom. I did have to use a truck one time, but only as an anchor. :)

I sold the MF240D because the V518 did everything the tractor did and much more. It was so nice to have the tree cutter and brush hog out front.

Ground clearance isn't a factor, if you get high centered, extend the boom, until the back end comes off the ground, and drive forward as you retract the boom.

Visibility was solved with this:

P9020005.JPG P9090001 (Large).JPG P9090002 (Large).JPG P9090003 (Large).JPG

To the rear:

Crossed the cattle guard.
P9090004 (Large).JPG

Backed up to it.
P9090006 (Large).JPG P9090007 (Large).JPG P9090008 (Large).JPG

Pulled forward until I could see the closest pipe.
P9090010 (Large).JPG P9090011 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
   / Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion #36  
xfaxman,
Does your versahandler have the ability to change out implements without getting out of the seat? I've heard (and don't even know if this is true) that some skid steers have some sort of automatic lock and unlock for the quick attach setup, where you dont' need to dismount the machine to change out implements (assuming there are no hyd hoses)

The V518 did, The V417 doesn't.

The Toolcat has it, you can see the hydraulic cylinders that move the levers in this picture.
PC190002.JPG

/ Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion #37  
XFaxman,
Feel free to post more pics of that thing!

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

Getting chunks of concrete out of the spillway with the Gorilla Grapple:
P4090025.JPG P4090029.JPG P4090034.JPG

One of the most used attachments, The nearly 5' long stump bucket. I wish I'd taken pictures of the big oak trees removed with it.

P9290029.JPG P9290035.JPG P9290037.JPG P9290022.JPG P9290030.JPG P9290033.JPG

Adding clay to the silt pile started by the V518.

P3180005.JPG

One month later, it is a little higher.

P4180005.JPG P4180014.JPG

Moved a brush pile down the hill to be burned.

P3070027.JPG P3070028.JPG P3070029.JPG P3070030.JPG P3070031.JPG P3070032.JPG

Moved the pin hitch up, added the receiver hitch that I cut down and used on the V518

PC150161.JPG PC150162.JPG PC150163.JPG PC150165.JPG

Moving the travel trailer.

PB030003.JPGPB030010.JPG PB030012.JPG

Ran over the wife!:shocked: (picture was her idea):D

PB030007.JPG

/ Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion #38  
Catdozer,
So your saying you think it would be best to rent out the heavy work, and then just clean it up with a (bigger) tractor?

I hear ya on the maintenance. I know it would be a risk to buy any type of heavy machinery with the intention of selling it for what I bought it for at the end. I have no idea yet how the undercarriage is, I don't even know what to look for, so I would definitely need someone experienced to help me check it out. Although I do have to say that I wouldn't have any reservations from buying it from the seller since it's a family friend.

As many of you are aware, I've also thought very often of selling my tractor and replacing it with a larger, more expensive one. However, I think that my tractor and another piece of equipment may be more useful than one single larger tractor.
That or keep your tractor now and maybe buy a bigger skidloader.
Never hurts to look at other alternatives but sometimes buying a machine that big, turning around to sell it becomes the problem cause a 50k excavator does not sell often to a regular person. And for the driveway and foundation you can always do that with your backhoe.

/ Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion #39  
That or keep your tractor now and maybe buy a bigger skidloader.
Never hurts to look at other alternatives but sometimes buying a machine that big, turning around to sell it becomes the problem cause a 50k excavator does not sell often to a regular person. And for the driveway and foundation you can always do that with your backhoe.

What is your opinion, performance wise of the Bobcat T300 tracked skidsteer?

/ Single Tractor vs Skidsteer AND mini EX combo discussion #40  
What is your opinion, performance wise of the Bobcat T300 tracked skidsteer?

i dont have one but my dad used to have a T320, he actually went to buy a T300 but he was told to wait for for the new T320, so he bought that in 2007 with a forestry head. he traded it a little over a year ago with close to 5000 hrs. the machine did work! never had a lack of power. we did have a few problems but those were track drive motors and a head gasket. you can put any attachment and just go. they were on the slow side as they didnt have 2 speed but i call it the rubber track bulldozer. and with any tracked skidsteers they are best paired with a 4in1 bucket. he really didnt want to get rid of it since it was such a good machine but it was time, ended up getting a T870 which is another monster

btw very nice V417