Looking to upgrade to a larger JD

/ Looking to upgrade to a larger JD #12  
A cab is great as long as you don't go near trees or low hanging stuff. I could never use it here in the woods. MS has some heat, so the AC would be nice -if you spend a lot of time on the tractor. Otherwise it's something else to break.

I have a 3038 and sorta wish I had gone a bit bigger - just because... I have no particular reason.

/ Looking to upgrade to a larger JD #13  
A cab is great as long as you don't go near trees or low hanging stuff. I could never use it here in the woods. MS has some heat, so the AC would be nice -if you spend a lot of time on the tractor. Otherwise it's something else to break.

I have a 3038 and sorta wish I had gone a bit bigger - just because... I have no particular reason.

I have found it better to clear a path through the woods rather than run a new tractor in heavy brush and vines. That is a fast way to make an old tractor out of a new one, cab or no cab.

/ Looking to upgrade to a larger JD #14  
I have found it better to clear a path through the woods rather than run a new tractor in heavy brush and vines. That is a fast way to make an old tractor out of a new one, cab or no cab.

Much of my woods is fairly open and the tractor performs yeoman work stacking fallen trees and brush into animal condos... And just helping fetch firewood. Actually, with a Ratchett Rake, it pretty much tears up most brush and saplings ... Don't have a lot of vines. In more than a year of pretty heavy use, I have no scratches on the plastic - although a branch did crack the lens on the ROPS light.

Actually, I think careful use of a tractor is precisely what it was made for. My tractor will get old over the years - but so will I. My last JD was 26 when I bought it and 37 when I sold it, still with no dents, nice green paint and thousands of hours of use. And it was even harder to maneuver in the forest - 2WD, 72" wide and twice as long + an FEL.

/ Looking to upgrade to a larger JD #15  
My comment about the vines was due to the OP's locale, I remember snagging vines in Summit a little south of Jackson MS. Some areas are denser than others so it does depend on the undergrowth you have to deal with.

I'm not saying you can't use a tractor in the woods but it does help to plan your attack.

/ Looking to upgrade to a larger JD #16  
If you want bigger be sure you go big enough to be done this time. I'd at least test drive a 50xxE series tractor to see how you like it. In an open station they can be had new for the money you are talking about with warranty and 0% financing. Also you can get soft cabs that work great in the winter and can be zipped off for summer haying. Might want to leave it on for shredding bees though.
092212170437_zps0a488803.jpg