Buying Advice Buying Process

/ Buying Process #1  

cletus99

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota L3800HST
I haven't had the experience yet of buying a new tractor. My tractor I bought at an auction. As soon as I get a few more bills paid off I plan on buying a new tractor. Of course my only experience of buying anything new or even used through a dealer has been cars. I have plenty of experience with that. It seems from what I read, tractors are usually delivered days or weeks later after purchasing. So is it not typical to go to a dealership and buy a new tractor that they have on the lot and take it home the same day? If not on the lot, what's the typical wait time to get one from the factory or other dealer? I know when that day comes and I get to buy that new tractor, it's going to drive me crazy having to wait to be able to use it.

/ Buying Process #2  
Some can deliver on the same or next day if on the lot. That depends if the prep was done before.

/ Buying Process #3  
If I had brought a big bag of cash with me, I could have taken it with me the very morning that I did my test drive . . . .

Buying one off the lot may very well cost less money than having them order one up or get one from another dealer. My Mahindra was a 'left over' so the dealer I bought it from was eager to move it off his lot. Another dealer that I had spoken to sold the only 4035 HST that he had the day before I called him. He said it would be 2-3 weeks to get another from Mahindra as they didn't like to just send out one tractor due to the freight costs, that I would have to wait for them to place an order for 2-3 to come out at the same time.

Just something else for you to think about!

/ Buying Process #4  
I never had to order a tractor,my dealer had what I wanted on the lot both times.I have ordered several trucks and had to wait six wks or so.It was worth it to get just what "I" wanted.

/ Buying Process
So if I have a trailer and take it to the lot when I go to buy and they had what I wanted then I could take it home that day? Or is there a prep or inspection that's normally done before you get it? Is it more common for one to be ordered? I just always read about people saying their tractor will be delivered on xxx day. I never read I picked up or brought home my new tractor today.

/ Buying Process #6  
Pickup depends on whether or not you have them do anything to the tractor (installation of accessories, maintenance if it's use, etc). It also assumes its assembled on the lot VS still packed for shipping. Mine was on the lot, but I wanted some hooks and things installed, so it took a few days and then they delivered it. I personally would rather buy off the lot than order, then you can see the actual machine and whether or not its sat around on the lot for a long time or something. If you do get one off the lot and get it delivered VS taking it the same day take down the serial # on the purchase paperwork and make sure it matches the one on the tractor so you get the same one.

/ Buying Process #7  
So if I have a trailer and take it to the lot when I go to buy and they had what I wanted then I could take it home that day? Or is there a prep or inspection that's normally done before you get it? Is it more common for one to be ordered? I just always read about people saying their tractor will be delivered on xxx day. I never read I picked up or brought home my new tractor today.

It really depends. There is always dealer prep, and it may have already been done, or maybe not....hard to say. Personally, I don't want them rushing through that process and possibly missing something.

/ Buying Process #8  
A lot of this has been said already, but the wait will depend on if the model you want is on the yard, if it has all the options you want already installed, and the time of year you buy.

When I bought my tractor, they did not have my model in stock at the dealer but it was available at the regional distributor. So there was about a two week wait to get it shipped in. After that, I was in line for prep because it was a spring purchase, and I was among a lot of happy new tractor owners. Once they started preping, it was a few days to get the rear remotes, loader 3rd function, and a few other things done. All told my wait was about 4 weeks from order to delivery, but I was expecting a bit of a delay because it was their busiest season. It was totally worth it!!

/ Buying Process #9  
if you find the tractor on the dealers lot setup like you want.you might be able to get it the same day if they have time to get it in the shop an prep it for delivery.mine took 2 or 3wks because i wanted the quicktatch loader an my tractor wasnt loader ready.an they didnt have the loader in stock.

/ Buying Process #10  
Mine was on the lot, already prepped..........It was delivered about 4 hours after I wrote the check. He brought it up as soon as he closed his business for the day.