Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase

/ Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase #11  
Yes something in the 200 model range

/ Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase #12  
Hey Piston, seems you're giving this Hitachi Ex quite some serious thought, lots of good advice already - the LC suffix denotes it's a long (under) carriage machine
which means is has less ground pressure/is better balance for heavy loading/digging though has a larger turning footprint

You might want to guage the price/deal against this individual Hitachi & others against comparable excavators - Cat, Komatsu, Kobelco's most have model number designating the Tonnage/Class like the Komatsu PC200 (= 20T ) & PC220's (= 22T), apart from these brands most of the others are "fringe dwellers" (like the Hyundai & the rest of the Koreans, JCB, Kato ...etc.) & either are compromises in quality &/or support/parts..or difficult to offload s/h .etc.

As I recall too a lot of your intended use is lighter clearing @ 20" or less timber so you could also drop in size to a c.10T Ex, & save greater transport hassles & possible have a greater market when it comes to resale - Zero swing/short radius wont be best suited well to your clearing applcation, avoid any 10T+ machine that has or has had a push blade ftted ( too open to abuse) & as advised in a previous thread just avoid any Ex that has hammer or demolition history (too many traps there for novice buyer)

Last edited:
   / Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase
I was able to find some online PDF's on the Hitachi EX200, but not the EX230. I imagine they would be very similar in specs except a little more power and weight from the 230? I'll look up a Deere 230 to see if I can find specs on that, since it should be identical from what you guys are saying.

MBTRAC, your right, I am certainly getting excited about this possibility. Also, it doesn't help that my father has operated heavy machinery in his "past life" and is egging me on to purchase this machine. I do have a little more info regarding pricing which I'll add to the bottom of this post.

I have done some "internet shopping" comparing similar sized machines as you mentioned. From what I can see based off machinery trader and tractor house (I was surprised at how many excavators were for sale on tractorhouse) that just about any machine this size has an asking price of 30-35k on the absolute low end. I know this doesn't mean they're neccarily WORTH that, as it's just the asking price, but I'm curious if that sounds about right? It seems like the Deere 230's and Hitachi 230's with hours all over the place, are all above these prices.

If I could get this excavator for less than that, I would feel safe in being able to sell it for what I bought it for, assuming no major breakdowns or repairs of course. However, keep in mind that the only thing I know about excavators is what I've learned over the last week of my internet research, so nothing really. Please tell me if I'm way out of line here :D
I did run one excavator before, for a matter of hours, so my experience is basically zero. (but I'm not afraid to learn a new machine)

My father sent me an email saying that he asked the guy about pricing, he told me that I could probably buy it for somewhere between 18-20k. Now, I don't know if this is totally accurate or not, because he also talked about some other equipment he is selling, and put some prices out there for that as well, and not to mention, my father has been a little confused more times than not in the past, regarding pricing. :laughing:

So, I"m not positive if that is the case, and that's the true price or not, but it's all I have to go by for now. I wont' be home for another week to check it out so I'm on hold until then. I know there is a chance that the machine may have an insane amount of hours on it, or possibly the undercarriage is absolutely destroyed, or something to that effect, and it may truly only be worth 18 or so. I guess I'll have to wait and see, I hate waiting! :thumbdown:

As I recall too a lot of your intended use is lighter clearing @ 20" or less timber so you could also drop in size to a c.10T Ex
Your absolutely right, I doubt I'll be taking down anything over 20", and even if so, it will be shallow rooted pines at that. I wont' take any large hardwoods down, as there aren't too many of them and I want to keep them around.

It's tough to justify a machine of this size for some fairly easy clearing, however, if I could get as good of a deal as I "think" it sounds like, then I can't turn it down. Now, that being said, I'm naturally skeptical when I hear of something that sounds "too good to be true" so I inherently believe this won't work out, just because I'm naturally pessimistic about things like this. But then again, I've come across some incredible deals with the implements I already have, including the $4k dollar John Deere 410 that we have, so it isn't too far fetched in that respect. :thumbsup:

All I can do at this point, is continue "google imaging" "excavators" and picture myself in the operators seat :laughing:

/ Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase #14  
When I look at that excavator, I cannot help but notice its pristine condition. I don't see a single scratch or scrape. That means the owner has been meticulous about operation and being careful. I suspect he is the same way about maintenance. That is one gorgeous machine. If it had a thumb, it would be perfect. I don't know how this will turn out, but I think you can be pretty sure that that machine is in great shape and will deliver hours and hours of trouble-free service. Of course, you have to check it out, but the machine itself is just beautiful.

BTW: The dipper looks to have a thumb bracket installed. I'd bet it would not take much to get at least a fixed thumb on that machine.

/ Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase #15  
Piston,
I agree with others in that you should be researching this model online to gather information. Everyone wants to help I am sure and is offering some good advice. If this seller is a long term family friend I suggest you make a quick phone call and ask him the price yourself. find out how many hours and what he thinks about undercarriage condition and overall condition. Go from there, if the price is within your budget then make arrangements to see it.

I agree with Jinman too, it looks well cared for in the pictures.

/ Could use some help with Hitachi excavator purchase
I wish it were that easy! :laughing:

I'd definitely call if I could, that would make it a lot easier. Unfortunately, I work on a ship (merchant marine) and I'm far from anything that even resembles cell phone service. We do have a satellite phone but I only use that for emergencies. Luckily, I do have unlimited (although super slow) internet. :D

I emailed my father and he is supposedly going to call his buddy and find out some more details for me. Until then, I wait. :D

As I mentioned before though, I'm skeptical of the price. When I get home next week I'll take some more pictures and go check it out for myself. Thanks to all who have helped!