Buying Advice Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #21  
Maybe I should have mentioned I am building this house with cash and will take me about 5 years.
Oh, Lord. Don't even try it! You are setting yourself up for major problems if you can't get the 'underground garage' completely finished ASAP.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #22  
Don87,

Two or three containers may take up 1200-1500 SF that leaves him 19,000 or so to landscape.

For the budget of $5K you might find a used BX with mower and FEL, or an older B series Kubota or possibly a John Deere 790 or similar.

With what you have in mind I would double your budget $10K and get into a used BX23-25 - its a little TLB (tractor-loader-backhoe) that can do a lot and not take up a lot of space and it works hard.

Carl

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #23  
Don87,

Two or three containers may take up 1200-1500 SF that leaves him 19,000 or so to landscape.

For the budget of $5K you might find a used BX with mower and FEL, or an older B series Kubota or possibly a John Deere 790 or similar.

With what you have in mind I would double your budget $10K and get into a used BX23-25 - its a little TLB (tractor-loader-backhoe) that can do a lot and not take up a lot of space and it works hard.

Carl
I understand what you are saying Carl, but what the OP wants isn't really feasible as a whole.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #24  
I understand what you are saying Carl, but what the OP wants isn't really feasible as a whole.
I'll expand on this.....

First is 1/2 acre of level ground.

Second is the 'underground garage" ..........you must have a ramp going down into the garage. Water must be removed by pumps, and Portland Oregon is known for very wet weather.

Third is the amount of time the OP proposes for the project. 5 years. That leaves a long time span to pump water from the hole being dug for the underground garage in one of the wettest areas of the country.

I see nothing but trouble from start to finish.

EDIT: And even after the 'finish'...........another 30 years or so of pumping water out of the 'underground garage'

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #25  
OK Don,

I guess I was trying to be sensible, thinking a bit of a grade, dig the holes on the high side and use sonotubes and concrete 4' off the ground, and on the low side excavate down 2-3'install piers and grade accordingly to flow water away from the "under container" garage.

Common sense with a beer budget and a small tractor can do a lot. If the first is lacking the rest will be tough sledding.

Carl

Sounds like he is

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #26  
OK Don,

I guess I was trying to be sensible, thinking a bit of a grade, dig the holes on the high side and use sonotubes and concrete 4' off the ground, and on the low side excavate down 2-3'install piers and grade accordingly to flow water away from the "under container" garage.

Common sense with a beer budget and a small tractor can do a lot. If the first is lacking the rest will be tough sledding.

Carl

Sounds like he is
You will get no arguements out of me on this.

My only contention is the OP's ground. 1/2 acre level.........that's not a lot to work with, especially if the adjoining properties are level also. In that case the OP will need to truck in quite a few tons of dirt to build up part of the property for the underground garage, and code(and neighbors) may object.

As far as digging the hole........I have no doubt that my Massey GC2400 could accomplish the task with a toothbar.

Personally...........I would nix the underground garage. Pour a pad for the containers and the garage and be moved in, in half the time. Just park on the pad til the garage is built.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!
The property is a a slight slope into the neighbors field. The separate (not attached) garage will be at a slight slope incase of any leak going out the doors. I am also using the slope to my advantage too having a road leading to the opening of the garage. Then the top will have fake grass on it if I can not figure out the logistics. The house will be on the upper part of the property on pylons.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #28  
Oregonconversion,

We like and welcome alternative ideas on TBN, with a plan. It seems like the plan is forming right now, so if you post some simple plot plans, a view of the property and slopes in question and your intended siteing of the container/house and garage that would be great.

You don't always get what you are looking for here, but if you post a plan, that will stimulate a lot of good ideas and suggestions as you go thru this process.

Take a look at "building a house in 90 days" thread, and obed's "home in the woods" posts and you will see a lot of engaged TBNer's offering great advise and insight.

We welcome you and look forward to seeing your plans.

Carl

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #29  
The property is a a slight slope into the neighbors field. The separate (not attached) garage will be at a slight slope incase of any leak going out the doors. I am also using the slope to my advantage too having a road leading to the opening of the garage. Then the top will have fake grass on it if I can not figure out the logistics. The house will be on the upper part of the property on pylons.
Anything can be built with enough money. And I'm not trying to be condescending(so please excuse if I'm coming across that way), I'm trying to be realistic. On a good slope, an underground garage is a good thing(I love 'em'), but ya gotta watch out for the water flow..........that will be your biggest enemy(and lifelong companion).

We have no pictures to go by, only your posts.........1 post said level, 1 post said 'slight slope'. I wouldn't build an underground garage on either level or a slight slope. Gotta watch that drainage. Especially in Oregon........that is known for wet weather.

Last edited:
   / Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #30  
Oregonconversion,

We like and welcome alternative ideas on TBN, with a plan. It seems like the plan is forming right now, so if you post some simple plot plans, a view of the property and slopes in question and your intended siteing of the container/house and garage that would be great.

You don't always get what you are looking for here, but if you post a plan, that will stimulate a lot of good ideas and suggestions as you go thru this process.

Take a look at "building a house in 90 days" thread, and obed's "home in the woods" posts and you will see a lot of engaged TBNer's offering great advise and insight.

We welcome you and look forward to seeing your plans.

Carl
...+1