Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B6000

Default Re: Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!

Thanks for the advice guys I am always learning! Fortunately with my friends and family I have enough combined knowledge and skill to make this work. My practice run was converting my MCI greyhound bus into an RV and it turned out great! Made some mistakes (ironically Don, it had to do with water) but who dosent... the trick is to make them not too costly, like buying the right tractor once.

Tractor
    Kubota B6000

Default Re: Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!

Here is a couple of the tractors I am looking at right now

SATOH STALLION DIESEL TRACTOR

Yanmar YM1610 Diesel 4X4 Tractor

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonconversion View Post

If I were to chosse between the two............it would be the Yanmar. I think I saw a thread where someone was having problems locating Satoh pats. But check on Yanmar parts availability to be sure.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Oregonconversion,

I agree with Don, the Yanmar is a better choice. But in my opinion you are still putting the "horse before the cart" or the "tractor before the house".

What I am trying to say, is define the requirement first, then get the equipment to meet the requirement. For instance, none of us buy a $80K excavator to dig our foundation (although some have them here) we hire out that portion of the project that needs the "heavy lifting".

Then get a machine that will do the planting, maintenance and wood hauling and all the other things that you need to do to further develop and "maintain" your place.

My opinion is the Yanmar could "maintain" but not dig/develop/prepare for a house - so hire that part out.

If you are really set on doing this yourself, then get a 1980's or so TLB - a Case 580, a John deere 310 full sized TLB and go at it - you can find these for $8-10K in usable but rough condition. Then sell it when you are done and get a smaller machine for maintenance.

Carl
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

There are plenty of good used tractors in your price range for 1/2 acre "estates".
    Ford 8N, Farmall Cub, Farmall A/Super A, JD 40, JD 420.
    Even my 1949 JD B with rockshaft (for 3 point hitch) and PowerTrol hydraulics would work. I paid $1300 for my 1951 Farmall Super A (3 pt hitch), $1750 for the JD B, $3600 for the 1964 MF 135 diesel (which is overkill for 1/2 acre).

Good luck.

Tractor
    Kubota B6000

OK sounds like I want a smaller 4X4 and I can rent for larger projects. Thanks guys.

Tractor
    Kubota's

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonconversion View Post

I think the Yanmar would be the better choice, you could use it for a few years and get most if not all your money back.

Tractor
    JD 3320, 820,400,255

Why are you set on using shipping containers? Why not just a conventional stick home? Just wondering.

If you plan on digging with a FEL you will need teeth and balls (4wd).

Tractor
    Kubota B6000

So I ended up buying a kubota B6000 with loader and tiller for $3450. Good price? Nice small 4X4, runs well, has plenty of power. Overall its in great shape. Before I bought it he had the 2nd gear replaced and the gearbox gone through. I need a new gasket for the PTO out on the tractor. Glad I got the tiller because of the backwards PTO rotation.

I think I am going to paint it yellow and put TONKA decals on it. Yellow is a good color for a tractor.

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Congratulations on your new Tractor! Nice find for the money and sounds like the previous owner took care of it too.

As far as tonka yellow, that would be cute, but likely would reduce the resale, stick with kubota orange and blue/gray for the tranny. Even if you just sand it and rattle can paint it will look good. Tractor supply has inexpensive cans $4 ea.

BTW, pictures are required or it doesnt exist!
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast