Buying Advice Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!
Thanks for the advice guys I am always learning! Fortunately with my friends and family I have enough combined knowledge and skill to make this work. My practice run was converting my MCI greyhound bus into an RV and it turned out great! Made some mistakes (ironically Don, it had to do with water) but who dosent... the trick is to make them not too costly, like buying the right tractor once.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #33  
   / Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #34  
Oregonconversion,

I agree with Don, the Yanmar is a better choice. But in my opinion you are still putting the "horse before the cart" or the "tractor before the house".

What I am trying to say, is define the requirement first, then get the equipment to meet the requirement. For instance, none of us buy a $80K excavator to dig our foundation (although some have them here) we hire out that portion of the project that needs the "heavy lifting".

Then get a machine that will do the planting, maintenance and wood hauling and all the other things that you need to do to further develop and "maintain" your place.

My opinion is the Yanmar could "maintain" but not dig/develop/prepare for a house - so hire that part out.

If you are really set on doing this yourself, then get a 1980's or so TLB - a Case 580, a John Deere 310 full sized TLB and go at it - you can find these for $8-10K in usable but rough condition. Then sell it when you are done and get a smaller machine for maintenance.

Carl

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #35  
There are plenty of good used tractors in your price range for 1/2 acre "estates".
Ford 8N, Farmall Cub, Farmall A/Super A, JD 40, JD 420.
Even my 1949 JD B with rockshaft (for 3 point hitch) and PowerTrol hydraulics would work. I paid $1300 for my 1951 Farmall Super A (3 pt hitch), $1750 for the JD B, $3600 for the 1964 MF 135 diesel (which is overkill for 1/2 acre).

Good luck.

OK sounds like I want a smaller 4X4 and I can rent for larger projects. Thanks guys.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #38  
Why are you set on using shipping containers? Why not just a conventional stick home? Just wondering.

If you plan on digging with a FEL you will need teeth and balls (4wd).

So I ended up buying a Kubota B6000 with loader and tiller for $3450. Good price? Nice small 4X4, runs well, has plenty of power. Overall its in great shape. Before I bought it he had the 2nd gear replaced and the gearbox gone through. I need a new gasket for the PTO out on the tractor. Glad I got the tiller because of the backwards PTO rotation.

I think I am going to paint it yellow and put TONKA decals on it. Yellow is a good color for a tractor.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #40  
Congratulations on your new Tractor! Nice find for the money and sounds like the previous owner took care of it too.

As far as tonka yellow, that would be cute, but likely would reduce the resale, stick with Kubota orange and blue/gray for the tranny. Even if you just sand it and rattle can paint it will look good. Tractor supply has inexpensive cans $4 ea.

BTW, pictures are required or it doesnt exist!