Buying Advice Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #1  

Oregonconversion

Tractor
Kubota B6000
Ok so im buying my first tractor and I will be using it for mostly moving dirt around, grooming, and getting my half acre ready to build a house on.

I am looking for something reliable that I can get parts for with ease and at a good price. is that a catch 22?

My question is.... Would I be better off getting a small 4X4 with 18-20HP like a Suzue, Kioti, or Yanmar...

or a 2WD mid 30-35HP like a massey Ferguson or Satoh Stallion?

I am looking with a budget of $4000-5000

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #2  
This is rubbing the fur the wrong way here at TBN but for just a half acre you could just hire the earth moving work you need done then buy a nice rideing lawn mower and a walk behind tiller for the garden.
If you really want a tractor (doesn't everybody) you need to trade up to more land first. :welcome:

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #3  
Tad over kill on hp considering half acre..some where 20hp should do the trick more models pick from w/your budget.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #4  
This is rubbing the fur the wrong way here at TBN but for just a half acre you could just hire the earth moving work you need done then buy a nice rideing lawn mower and a walk behind tiller for the garden.
If you really want a tractor (doesn't everybody) you need to trade up to more land first. :welcome:

x2!!!

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #5  
I'm the same school of thought as 'vtsnowedin'; hire out or rent the needed equipment then buy a nice zero turn mower.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #6  
I assume he was having fun "Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!" ... I'd go with the small 18 hp 4x4 with FEL, belly mower, box blade .. keep that 1/2 acre groomed, your driveway smooth and tote those hard to move items around with the FEL ... Everyone needs a "tractor" on a farm!!!!!!

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #7  
Weclome aboard!

Don't you guys go and spoil Oregon's plot to get a tractor. Could be there is more info we don't have (1/4 mile private road to maintain, who knows?). I was never fond of the Kubota BX but if there isn't more than 1/2 acre involved a BX or something similar might be fun.

I have no room to talk about overkill. Always loved tools and equipment myself. Last year I had to get rid of the B7500 and get an L3200 for the 2.25 acres at my place. At Wifey's suggestion we kept the old Ford 1210 in case we need something for the "small stuff" when dealing last year. Since then we did get an additional 1.3 adjoining acre piece of land. I wouldn't get caught dead on a ZTR even on the widow's 1/2 acre across the road. I use the 32HP with 72" RFM tractor there and everybody's happy. I get there, mow, run the weed eater, fire up the leaf blower to clean the drive, talk to the widow of 10 minutes and it still doesn't take quite a half hour. Sometimes people passing by must wonder about the smiling big 63YO kid on the tractor on the small lawn.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #8  
I assume he was having fun "Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!" ... I'd go with the small 18 hp 4x4 with FEL, belly mower, box blade .. keep that 1/2 acre groomed, your driveway smooth and tote those hard to move items around with the FEL ... Everyone needs a "tractor" on a farm!!!!!!
Me pull a guys leg? Surely you jest!! If I was having fun I would have suggested a batwing rotary cutter to keep mowing time reasonable.:D

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now!
Well I need to dig a hole for a basement for my house, move loads of wood, drag around shipping containers, ect. I will be building my own home so I need a tractor not a lawn mower LOL. I am just wondering if one of the little 4WD guys will be enough power in the FEL to dig into clay like dirt. To give you an idea of what I am doing I am going to be building a house similar to this.

Containers of Hope, a $40,000 Home by Benjamin Garcia Saxe | HomeDSGN, a daily source for inspiration and fresh ideas on interior design and home decoration.

/ Another first used tractor! And a first post! Woo Hoo Im a farmer now! #10  
Looks like that house setup would cost more than 40K. Neat concept. Would require lots of insulating and moisture control in Oregon.

JMHO