JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #21  
My personal take on the 110TLB is that it hurt JD's sales of larger machines. It also may have represented a maintenance nightmare for contractor/owners who worked their machines hard and had wear/failures. The machine would be perfect for homeowners or most of us, but the bigger commercial TLBs can take a lot more abuse and keep going. Kubota has small TLBs, but they have no commercial sized machines to be threatened by sales of smaller machines. Perhaps if JD had painted the 110TLB green instead of yellow, more people would think of it as more of a tractor than a full-time workhorse.

These are just my random thoughts and based on what I've thought about that machine from the beginning. It's a great machine, but I doubt it can take the rigors of daily construction site work. I don't think it can compete well with the many offerings from Kubota in small TLBs and also mini-excavators. All of this is just speculation. . .

Well... that's what we're all doing - speculating! :laughing: I agree with your premise that the 110 "softened" the backhoe market for Deere's larger hoes. When I was looking - the price of a new 110 versus the price of a used commercial hoe always entered the calculations. And, if a prospective buyer either 1.) did not buy a used 310, etc. or 2.) did not buy a new 310, etc. because they opted to buy a 110 - well, that has both a direct and indirect effect on JD's commercial hoe market.

The competitive position of the 110 versus Kubota's offerings is another market question, altogether. Price is a significant factor.. if it's too high - the buyer will likely buy smaller or used. If they buy smaller - Kubota wins that round. If the buyer is hard set on a particular size and capacity of TLB - in the 110 range - the 110 compares most favorably with either the L39 and the L45. I crawled all over the 39-45 and played with 'em (no hard work with the dealer's new models..) and believe the 110 to have more "iron" than the 39 and every bit the equal of the 45. Buying choice comes down to personal ergonomics and favor of control surfaces and dealership relationship. Now, I believe that the discontinued L48 was a more capable machine than the 110. But, it had some transmission issues that put it at a disadvantage.

As far as not having the build characteristics that enabled it to work commercial jobs day in day out - the very same could be said about the Kubota lineup. None of them are 310's or 580's or Komatsu's 140-150's.

But, compared to the standard green iron or standard orange iron - they're night and day - better, stronger, more durable.

Nonetheless, folk's will buy a less durable tractor with more horsepower before they'll buy a heavier duty tractor with less horsepower for an equal price - IMO. The small, TLB's are just that - lower hp but heavier duty than their standard lineup cousin's. And they don't pencil out on a Hp/$$ curve compared to the standard lineup.

AKfish

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #22  
I see 110-sized machines going the way of 40 hp dozers like the old JD 300 and 350's, and thre IH 500C. Peole using it for work need more umph.

Skid steer loaders basically replaced the small dozer in the 80's. They are not as capable in many situations but can still move a lot of dirt, are more versatile, and cheaper to run.

I'm guessing we'll see the mini-ex mostly replace the compact TLB over the next decade.

That said, I think Kubota has and will continue to have the compact TLB market tied up. I think Deere saw that, and with declining sales of the 110 decided it's design/mfg/marketing powers could be better used elsewhere.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #23  
Well... that's what we're all doing - speculating! :laughing: I agree with your premise that the 110 "softened" the backhoe market for Deere's larger hoes.

I somehow missed your post before posting my opinion. I see you and I are very much in agreement. I would love to have been in on the meeting where the Deere execs decided to make the 110 construction yellow instead of green. Their reasoning then and now would be an interesting study in action-reaction marketing. Do you think their dealers asked for this machine or was it pushed out to them by corporate marketing to test inroads into Kubota's market share of the small construction business market?

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #24  
as far as breaking into the commercial market in my area I think both JD and kubota have dropped the ball with arketing. For example, if I were to mention I was interested in buying a skid steer one would be delivered to a jobsite where I could put it to use for at least a couple hours. Great time and place to actually decide before spending that kind of money. Also, builds a better relationship between the salesman and prospective buyer. Locally I can rent a 110 and if I felt it would work for me I could then buy it. The Kubota on the other hand is not rented by anyone locally. The dealer, although great guys and very helpful, don't have a demo machine in stock. So for me to buy a M59 it is pretty much a crap shoot as far as knowing it's capabilities. I have been able to sit in one on their lot and start it and play with the controls but not get one dirty. It would seem if it is a machine as good as they say they should want to prove it. Show me how it will help my business. I know what a full size tlb will do and would be curious to see how an M59 would compare to my B300. But again as someone said earlier maybe they are marketing to wealthy home owners and hobby construction businesses that have the money to experimant with equipment by buying.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #26  
Its been a request for years. right now it seems like all their time is dedicated to Tier 4 changes.

It seems odd, with the number of threads relating to this. requests from dealers, they would at a minimum contract Laurin to build cabs for them. Through a higher volume purchase it should lower prices a little. Don't know how I feel about a company that disregards dealers and potential buyers. I am very impressed when I see a Company representative on forums like these to answer and explain issues as well as talk about products. The interaction between everything attachments and TBN members has really been great. Perhaps Kubota could learn from it.

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #27  
Its been a request for years. right now it seems like all their time is dedicated to Tier 4 changes.

I'm sure that ties up a lot of resources but it seems like the "engines department" and the "operators station department" would operate separately?

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110
I'm sure that ties up a lot of resources but it seems like the "engines department" and the "operators station department" would operate separately?

I would think so too. Not only that, but I'd hope by now they have the tier 4 engine details all worked out.

Time to get started designing the (roomy) cab! While your at it Kubota, throw in a little more PTO power as well. :)

/ JD Next generation TLB, replacement for the 110 #30  

That is what I was thinking too. They may have guys that just design the cabs.