Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

Default Purchase Opinions Please: Bobcat, Mahindra, Yanmar?

I'm trying to help my brother select a first tractor. He is buying new.

Finalists: Bobcat CT230 at $15,000 with front end loader only; similar size Mahindra at $ unknown yet; similar size Yanmar at $ unknown yet. Also maybe a Massey Ferguson option. He is leaning toward the Bobcat but wonders if there are better deals to be had in the market place. (I've had a Bobcat and that may be influencing him some)

Brother is a bargain hunter. Tractors in the 30h.p. size will suit his primary need of 5 acre bush hogging and light snow removal work. Nothing heavy duty.

Given the economy and different "deals" that may be available on these 4 brands we are asking for opinions: Is one of these models the bargain of the bunch? Remember his highest priority, agree or disagree, is bang for the buck -- low price!

He wants to make a decision very soon.

Thanks.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 35, Mahindra 4035

Default Re: Purchase Opinions Please: Bobcat, Mahindra, Yanmar?

Yanmar and mahindra will, feature for feature, probably be the least expensive...a little biased here, and not trying to take away from Yanmar, but I think the Mahindra is a little more stout... I'd have him look at the 3535, the 3616, and the 3016...I wish him luck with what ever he gets...

Rich

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

You won't beat Bobcat prices since their getting out of the tractor market. Good luck and have fun.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

They are all good,Yanmar has been around for a long time and build a great machine, but they all will do well. As biggreen says Mahindra are heavier than the others.

Bobcat is basically a Kioti so support and parts should be no problem but that may yield a slightly lower price than the others if the line is discontinued (from what I have read here).

Get a QA bucket so they can attach forks, grapple, plow in the future and rear remotes for hydraulics are my suggestions.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

All 4 brands listed are good solid tractors, usually sold at reasonble pricing. No way to say which is best buy until you get pricing on all of them, just make sure to compare like sized tractors with same equipment and options.
    I would be surprised if any were priced lower than Bobcat, considering the incentive programs being offered to sell off their new inventory before end of 2013, but some others may come very close.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 35, Mahindra 4035

Didn't think about bobcat getting out of market and the possible incentives, excellent point !

Rich

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

I know that you didn't mention these, but LS has a good tractor at a good price, you may want to give them a look if they are within a reasonable distance to you. I seriously doubt that he will be able to get a better price than the Bobcat though. All good machines and he will be happy with any of them.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

Thanks for the quick responses.

Brother and I just came back from sitting on the Yanmars. Operator station is tighter than Bobcat and brother is 6'6" and 240lb. The ex2900 and the ex3200 seemed similar to Bobcat in machine overall dimensions.

We'll try to sit on the Mahindras this afternoon.

Trying to decide tonight to take advantage of a Bobcat special with a deadline looming. Bobcat paint seems weakest of the tractors we've seen. The white color has slight amber shading (early corrosion) at some joints and welds. The Bobcat has been in inventory since September 2012 and sitting outside. This is a known concern with Bobcats.

Keep the thoughts coming please!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

Sat on the Mahindras, not bad but not as much leg room as the Bobcat for a tall person.

Any thoughts on Bobcat pricing? Better prices coming due to closeout? What's YOUR crystal ball suggest?

Thanks.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Massey Ferguson 2244 crawler

The only likely brand to be around that same price will be an LS, from what I've seen lately. The local LS dealer lists some models on Craigslist to put you in the ballpark (you can usually make a somewhat better deal in person). 33hp gear version for under $15K:

LS 3033 Tractor Loader compact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast