Big or Bigger? Opinions Please

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #1  

Neophyte

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 eHydro with 300CX FEL
I'm having the typical tractor dilemna. When I started this process, I was looking at small compacts (B7500, TC21D/TC24D, 4110/4115) and even pondered sub-compacts (BX2200, 2210). I quickly progressed to the mid-compacts (B7800/B2910, TC29D/TC33D, 4210). Now I find myself looking at the big boys like the TC35D, L3130/L3430 and 4310/4410. I need a reality check before I get completely out of control. Perhaps you can help.

Here is what I have for property:
* 6 acres
* transforming 3-4 acres of pasture into finish lawn
* after transformation, 3-4 acres of finish mowing
* various landscaping (loam, mulch, stone, etc.)
* brush clearing (lots of it)
* 150' of driveway - snow removal
* 1200' of private dirt road that I will help to maintain
* 600' of pond frontage
* 400' of bog frontage

Here is what I plan on for attachments:
* FEL
* 72" finish mower (mid or rear)
* 5' rotary cutter brush hog
* 60" rear snowblower (possibly a blade instead)
* Box blade or rake (for road maintenance)
* Seeder/Fertilizer
* Harrow Rake
* chipper (possibly ... lots of brush to burn or chip?)
* tiller (possibly ... future garden for the little lady?)

Are the big boys overkill? Perhaps the mids are even overkill? I looked at the TC35D and L3130 this weekend and they seem massive ... nearly as big as my pickup truck. I'm afraid my neighbors will think I have an inferiority complex or something. I also don't want to be sinking all over my lawn due to the weight of these tractors.

Anyone with similar acreage with similar tractors care to comment?

I appreciate any input. Thank You.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #2  
Chances are one of each would be just perfect as you have a wide range of chores to cover.

I'd probably go for something the size of the B7500 with a midmount mower, FEL. and rear blade with gauge wheels.

Egon

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #3  
I think the L3130/3430 size will work real well for you.

But in a few years, when that lawn gets real nice...[maybe sooner] you will want something smaller to cut it with. Not because the larger one won't do it, but because the larger one will not do the grass cutting as well, from the "manicured look" perspective...

Well...that is my guess, anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have fun deciding!

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #4  
You might want to take a look at the new Kioti CK20. It's right around 2000 lbs, a little larger and heftier than the B7500. Right now, they have 0% interest. I just got mine last Saturday.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #5  
I'd certainly go for the 4310, 4410 size. With everything you are wanting to do I think you will need this tractor.

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #6  
If you are serious about the 72" Finish Mower and 60" brush cutter, you probably need to stay with something near the 30 Hp (25 PTOHp) range. Beyond that, the frame size of the tractor should probably depend on how you need to use it. Smaller frame sizes, like the B7800/B2910/TC30/TC29-33D/4210/4310, etc. will be more maneuverable and less destructive of your lawn. The larger frame sizes (Class 3 Boomers, L3xxx series/4410/4610) will give you more weight, which is good for some things, but will be less maneuverable and cause more damage to lawns or damp areas. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good luck. Shopping is part of the fun, but the fun really starts when you make the decision and your new toy/tool is delivered. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #7  
When you said Big or Bigger I thought you were going to list an L3830 or something! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My only real experience is with the L3130 and I have 18 acres of heavy brush. Well actually I'm down to about 5 acres of heavy stuff now because the L3130 cleared the rest. At any rate, the L3430 isn't the right tractor as it really can't do anything the L3130 can - and I think the L3130 might be a bit big as well. If I was in your situation I'd be looking at the TC33 from NH. Imagine that, a Kubota "biggot" recommending a NH! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #8  
The tractors you listed could all do the job w/ properly sized implements. So, really isnt the question one of time vs money to get it done? This assumes open ground. If thats not the case a bigger machine may make the job longer. jimg

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please #9  
Pick the tractor and the dealer you like the best in the 30hp range. I have a TC29D with a 72" MMM and it does a great job with mowing, yes somewhat on the heavy side but would work great with all the other tasks you have going. Weight is not so great for mowing but for all other tasks it is great.

murph

/ Big or Bigger? Opinions Please
Interesting responses so far.

I thought the NH TC33D would be the perfect fit for me and my lot and I was almost ready to make the purchase. However, I just found out that they have a new model coming out due in the Janurary 2004 timeframe. It has the newer style 14LA FEL with increased lifting capacity and a beefed up front axle. This would definitely complete the package for me but I don't want to wait that long! I could really use the tractor now.

I guess the 4310/4410 would be my next choice given that they are smaller and lighter than the L31XX and Class III Boomers but with similar HP. However, they have about 4 inches less clearance than the others. I also don't like the fact that you need to engage the rear-PTO to use the mid-PTO. You also need to do it in the right order or you grind the gears (engage mid, then engage rear). They also have some aluminum castings in the rear end where I would rather have steel/iron castings. All small things I suppose.