Used Skid steer buying advice.

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
I'm looking for a used skid steer loader for my farm construction business. I've had a thread going in the construction equipment section about the business itself and my search for new equipment, but there seems to be a lot more traffic here, so I'll post my actual buying questions here.

Intended Uses:

On the job:
-Excavating and leveling building pads, spreading fill material, rock, gravel, etc
-Drilling holes for pole barns, moving materials with forks, unloading materials, setting trusses (about 200lbs) with a jib crane
-Loading my dump truck (94" to the top of the sideboards)
-Running a post driver for fencing, my post driver needs a machine with a ROC of 1300lbs and 10gpm hydraulics

Around our home farm:
-Cleaning manure out of barns and sheds
-Unloading round bales and putting them in the barn
-Use in the woods to help with firewood collection, mainly at the landing picking up logs with a grapple, dumping split wood into trucks, and lifting pallets of firewood.

What I'm looking for:

-Reliability
-Digging ability
-Stability
-Lift capacity, in that order

My situation:

My budget is 13K give or take and I'd like to find a machine that is less than 15yrs old and less than 3000 hrs. I like simplicity and reliability, I'm very mechanically inclined and have a well stocked shop so I will be doing 100% of my own repair work. I have dealers for Deere, Case, New Holland and Bobcat all less than an hour away, so I'm going to stick with those brands. A few models that are within driving distance currently are a couple Case 1845C and 40/60/75XT, Deere 317s, 240 II and 250 II, New Holland LS170/180, and 863 and S175 Bobcat's amongst other models (I realize those are all widely varying in size and capacity.) Looking for some input from those with lots of skid steer experience on what brands/models might suit me best and what to look for in a used machine.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Don't bother suggesting a compact track loader, I do not need or want one for a variety of reasons.

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #2  
I've always been partial to the Case 1845C, what kind of shape is it in?

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #3  
We run NH LS 180 and 185 both have given excellent service . One has 1500 hours the other has 2400. The price range is in the ballpark . I know of a few in Roanoke in your price range

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #4  
We run NH LS 180 and 185 both have given excellent service . One has 1500 hours the other has 2400. The price range is in the ballpark . I know of a few in Roanoke in your price range

I agree. I have a LS 190 and it's a very good machine. We have been very satisfied with it.

/ Used Skid steer buying advice.
I've always been partial to the Case 1845C, what kind of shape is it in?

From my research they are a really rugged unit and definitely in contention for what I want. There is a 2001 model with less than 700hr, all original for $14.9K less than an hour from me. There is also one with ~3000hrs, 1996 vintage that has been repainted:thumbdown: for $9.5K and a 1998/99 model with ~3000hrs all original for about $12K.

I do like the New Holland units, I used to run an old gas powered L425 years ago on the family farm. I'm less than 45min to Roanoke, are those listed online anywhere or just some you know?

Overall, I'm mostly looking at Deere, Case and New Holland. I really like the Bobcat units and have put many hours on 753's and 763's in the past, but the resale value is so high that I think there are better values elsewhere. Same with Cat, I'm sure they make great units but I won't even consider them due to the astronomical prices (new and used).

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #6  
They are at a company my friend owns called APPCON which rents equipment . They use a lot of BOBCAT skidloaders but prices are in your range

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #7  
I really like the Bobcat units and have put many hours on 753's and 763's in the past, but the resale value is so high that I think there are better values elsewhere. Same with Cat, I'm sure they make great units but I won't even consider them due to the astronomical prices (new and used).

You're probably right about that. I bought a 2008 Bobcat S185 back in August 2012. Just slightly over 1200 hours on it. No high flow, but cab enclosure with heat, AC and deluxe instrument panel. I paid $17,500.
Luckily, the parts manager at the local Bobcat place is a friend. He looked into the machine's history and said that there were never any service issues with it. He also knew the owner, who had purchased the machine brand new to be a guy who takes care of his stuff. My friend told me that the price was very fair so I went ahead with it.

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #8  
We currently run/or have run Case, Bobcat, NH, Gehl, & Toyota skiddies (in addition to Takeuchi CTL's) - over here (Australia) so far as "bang for your buck" & overall operational/owership costs it's hard to go past Case & the 1845's.

IMO I'd rather use a radial lift machine than a parallel lift in hard digging, but then you also compromise the reach of the loader to centre/evenly load on larger dump trucks - something to consider in you application.

When buying used (I'll assume you can judge the engine condition) the smooth operation of hydraulics at higher operation temperatures is critical - particularly when under higher loads the machine should bog down slightly but not excessively, the wheel motors should be able to break traction/or push to stalling, there should be no evidence of inconsistent speed from the travel motors when turning either way & the machine should load easily from ramps onto truck (some worn out machines have no grunt at more acute angles though can push ok on level ground)

Engine/ & Hyd coolers can take a beating in skiddies & it's a little time investigating these areas is a safe investment, similar check thoroughly the loader frame/cyl mounts for any signs of cracking/fatigue & walk away if the machine has ever been fitted with a hammer/breaker or been involved in demolition (I've found the best machines to buy s/h are ex landscaping yards).

/ Used Skid steer buying advice. #9  
My youngest brother just bought another Bobcat 753 with 1,800 hrs. new tires. Real straight, clean machine. Paid $10K. He's a small builder, contractor and just took on some bigger concrete jobs, so he jumped at another Bobcat. Has had very good luck with them.

AKfish

/ Used Skid steer buying advice.
I really like the 753/763's, I used to rent them all the time. They are a little small and unstable for what I'm wanting, but if a really nice one for good money comes up I might have to go look at them. The 743 and 753 were the iconic Bobcat in my mind.

So, I'm trying to decide weather it's better to buy newer but less certainty about quality, or older with more hours but a proven machine.

Example: '02 Deere 240 II with 500hrs vs '98 Case 1845C with 3000+ hrs, either for about $12K

The electronics scare me on any of the machines made in the past 10yrs, but maybe my fears are unfounded. After all, the fuel injection system in my '88 F-250 has been untouched since the day it was made and still functions perfectly. I've also read online many stories about skid steers that malfunction and you have to get the dealer to come out with their laptop to see what is wrong.