Comparison Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #1  

UncleTed

Tractor
BobCat CT450
I am new to the compact tractor market. I have owned a Allis Chalmers wd45 for the last 10 years and am looking to upgrade to a newer tractor. I am looking for opinions on which one of the two would be the best used tractor. I have yet to drive either tractor so any tips on what to look for would also be useful.

2008 Kubota L3940HSTC
LA724 Loader
R4 tires
535 hours
No rear remotes
$24500

2011 Bobcat CT450
Loader
R4 Tires
300 hours
Dual rear remotes
block heater
$24500

Both Companies have highly respected dealerships in the area.

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #2  
I don't know enough about the Kubotas to comment, but I have been very impressed with Bobcat's service to me since I bought my CT122. This is despite the fact that Bobcat is getting out of the tractor industry. There should be parts available for the CT450 for MANY years to come and from what I hear it is an absolute beast! It looks to me to be the better of the two deals.

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #3  
If your really thinking about a Bobcat you best hurry.

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #4  
I am new to the compact tractor market. I have owned a Allis Chalmers wd45 for the last 10 years and am looking to upgrade to a newer tractor. I am looking for opinions on which one of the two would be the best used tractor. I have yet to drive either tractor so any tips on what to look for would also be useful.

2008 Kubota L3940HSTC
LA724 Loader
R4 tires
535 hours
No rear remotes
$24500

2011 Bobcat CT450
Loader
R4 Tires
300 hours
Dual rear remotes
block heater
$24500

Both Companies have highly respected dealerships in the area.

The CT450 is one size larger machine vs. the L3940 for the same money, so it has a some more capability in terms of horsepower, hydraulics, etc. The offset to that is that the L3940, according to the way you described it, is a full-factory cab tractor with heat, A/C, etc. That's automatically a much more expensive tractor. It kind of depends on what your work plans are for the tractor. If you have some old, creaky muscles and bones like I do and you expect to be out moving snow or doing other things in your Wisconsin winters, that cab would certainly be nice, and it would also keep the bugs out of your face the rest of the year. Alternatively, if you need to do a lot of work in the woods, a cab may not be a good feature. They are both quality machines that should give many years of good service, so it might come down to which machine is in better overall condition, although at the hours you noted, they both should be nearly new.

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940
Grandad4, I forgot to mention that the Bobcat also has a cab.

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #6  
Hi Ted,

I looked at both the Kubota and the Bobcat. I test drove each, and was thoroughly impressed with each. I found little to differentiate between the two. As you noted, the Bobcat has the advantage of coming with the dual remotes. I ended up buying a Kubota L4240, and had one rear remote added. My guess is that you will be happy with either the L3940 or the CT450. Most people I have talked to think that the Kubota will have greater resale value, due to the Bobcat becoming an orphan. If you are planning on keeping the tractor for a long time, resale value becomes of lesser importance. Since you have two good dealers, go back to them present your dilemma, and ask them what they can do to tip the decision.

By the way, I had an Allis WD 45 and loved it. It was a great machine for mowing fields - powerful, agile, and fun.

Good luck with your decision. Post pictures of what you buy.

PMH

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #7  
Have you driven both of them? If not I would see if the dealers have somewhere you can drive them, scoop some dirt, etc, one might fit you much better than the other and make the decision for you. Good luck.

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #8  
Grandad4, I forgot to mention that the Bobcat also has a cab.

Pick the one that suits you best... you can't go wrong with either one. The Kubota has a newer generation HST with some features not found on other tractors. The owners generally say it's the cat's meow (Mine's an older model, so I can only reflect what others have said). Pictures of your new baby are expected upon arrival. Best of success with whichever one you choose!

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940 #9  
The hst+ is an amazing transmission but like I said earlier which one fits you best will be best!

/ Bobcat CT450 or Kubota L3940
I am now a new to me BobCat CT450 owner.
CT450 001.jpgCT450 002.jpg