Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk?

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #1  

790greene

Tractor
John Deere 790
I am looking for a lawn tractor that is reasonably priced that isn't junk. I have a white that I paid 1600 for and it is junk. Prior to that I had a husqvarna and it was junk too. Everything is made cheaply. I would like to find something with shafts instead of belts, and really would like a diesel but don't really wanna spend 15k either. I have been looking on ebay and craigslist for used diesel mowers and haven't had much success yet. Any ideas or comments??

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #2  
i been looking myself for a heavy build riding mower i cant find one i see kubota for 2-4k around 16-25hp in the 1980s on cragislist

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk?
yeah i really like the ford 14d lgt but they are hard to find

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #4  
my buddy has an old ford tractor from 1972-73 but same thing that old parts are a bear to find and are salty id stick with a gas engine diesel is thourgh the roof

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #5  
like anything, quality costs.

One thing to note, most of the "cheap" lawn mowers are made by only a few companies, regardless of what name is on the badge. I think Deere handles all theirs in house however.

I was in the same boat as you . I ended up with a deere x540 at that time. Far from cheap, but it was the first model that I found that was quality and built as tough as lawn tractors of old. I went right past the 300 series deere because I considered them "too light"

I then sold that, and went to a Kubota Bx, the $15000 lawnmower you alluded to. Mostly because I needed something that could do more, like move dirt and dig ditches. But in all honestly, the X540 was a 10x better mower. It was the best all around garden tractor that Ive ever used and I'm sorry I sold it actually.

I guess what Im saying is that anything under $3-4000 will be more of a compromise. If you want to get a quality unit, it's hard to beat the mid level Deeres. Kubota makes a few nice ones too, again, not cheap. I think they build their own too. I can't speak to New Holland because I didn't look at them in person.

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #6  
At 4gs Try Simplicity.

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #7  
I've always purchased my mowing tractors s/h Deere, Kubota & Iseki, as yet without drama- the key is having the patience to wait for the right machine to come up for sale or at clearing auctions & walk away every time from the junk that's also out there.

Pictured is IMO the best buy I've managed s/h, an ex-council JD415 f/w 3cyl Yanmar Diesel, 54" deck hyd catcher, rear linkage/hydraulics/PTO - not the most popular or powerful machine but @ 195hrs bid at auction for $6K (replacement cost over here c.$20K ) I just couldn't walk away from the deal:D

Attachments

• TBN2632013.jpg
    TBN2632013.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 291
   / Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #8  
I've always purchased my mowing tractors s/h Deere, Kubota & Iseki, as yet without drama- the key is having the patience to wait for the right machine to come up for sale or at clearing auctions & walk away every time from the junk that's also out there.

Pictured is IMO the best buy I've managed s/h, an ex-council JD415 f/w 3cyl Yanmar Diesel, 54" deck hyd catcher, rear linkage/hydraulics/PTO - not the most popular or powerful machine but @ 195hrs bid at auction for $6K (replacement cost over here c.$20K ) I just couldn't walk away from the deal:D

Good buy!

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #9  
Ferris makes a nice mower. Again a little pricy but definitely built much better than most.

/ Any lawn tractors reasonably priced that aren't junk? #10  
Most of the mower decks.
Kubota, Bolens, etc.
They may have a shaft drive, & gearbox on the deck, but you take the covers off and you find belts underneath.

I ended up picking up two Kubota Diesels G4200 & G5200, both hydrostatic for less than $1K each. The G4200 is a bit under powered. The G5200 does ok in low grass, but bogs down in heavy grass. The biggest complaint about them is that rather than clutching the mowing deck drive line, it is designed to slip the belts, then you throw in the idler pully to tighten the belts.

Actually, thanks for reminding me, I was intending to put in a real clutch.

How much land are you mowing?
I'd look for a good used Toro or Jacobson commercial mower.

While I haven't used a zero turn mower, I'm convinced they have major advantages including hillside stability.