Buying Advice L3800 input, price check

/ L3800 input, price check #1  

hhsco

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2040, JD 5310N
Hey Gang, looong time lurker in regards to my old '78 JD 2040 and first time poster.

I've been trying for a few years now to upgrade my tractor situation- the weather here in the winter is pretty much the worst in the country- feet of snow, 100+mph winds, drifts like you wouldn't believe. So the 2wd JD with no cab isn't cutting it. I'm also about to embark on a series of construction projects and don't want to pay the usual thousands of dollars for someone to move gravel around and dig trenches.

So what I want is 4 wheel drive, a decent loader, a cab, and the ability to mount a backhoe. The L3800 seems to fit all those reqs.

My sister's father-in-law bought a 2012 L3800 last June and put ten hours on it. Then he got the deal of a lifetime on a used backhoe from a local rancher and no longer needs the tractor. The tractor is HST, loaded R4 tires, aftermarket cab WITH heat, 524 loader with hooks already on the QA bucket, etc. He wants 22,500 but I think he will knock off $500 for me. It is still under warranty.

What do you guys think, decent deal or too much?

/ L3800 input, price check #2  
Welcome from Ohio

/ L3800 input, price check #3  
at that price go for it that a good deal

/ L3800 input, price check #4  
I stopped the build at 30,000 and that was without cab so I think its a good deal imho

/ L3800 input, price check #5  
Welcome aboard.
Honestly if i'm reading your post correctly that really imo sounds like all the money for that setup with no bh.
I would go kick tires at the dealership and get prices on a new one of you own.
You would probably like a grand l with a factory cab a lot better.
Also if you want a bh it would be a lot more convenient to get it all together as a new package deal with it all on the same 60m 0% kubota loan if you need one. also you can set it up exactly the way you want it.
Don't get me wrong i own a l3800 and i love it but if were looking for a cab tractor the after market cabs don't even compare to a factory setup plus it would have a/c.
If it were say 17-18k id say go for it but to me it would be too awkward to negotiate with a family member that much.
I would let him try and sell it at that price for a while and then maybe you could make him a real offer without insulting him once the market shows him the real value.
Hope that helps.

/ L3800 input, price check #6  
Last edited:
   / L3800 input, price check #7  
   / L3800 input, price check #8  
With cab and bh, that's good deal. Aftermarket cabs aren't great (I've had two tractors with them), but they're a heck of a lot better then no cab. You'll likely need hearing protection and a small fan in the summer. Yes factory cabs are nice and so are Grand L models but forget about a new one under $30K. Standard L tractors can have issues with a jerky 3pt hitch, but some are fine and a lot of people dont seem to care.

/ L3800 input, price check #9  
I love my L3800 HST. This is a great deal. Let me know if you pass on it so i can grab it up.

/ L3800 input, price check #10  
But he needs a cab tractor.
Yeah i know i just wanted to show him an approx market value of a used l3800 read his post and i don't think it comes with a bh he noted it "had the ability to have one".
I have the same exact tractor and there is no way i could sell it for 22,500 used and its perfect.
That's what i paid new w/0 hrs with a rear remote and hd ssqa bucket w/cutting edge,rear light,loaded r4's +full warranty.
I'm just saying if i were to get a cab tractor i would want a factory cab tractor the first time around vs looking at them two years later after ive realized how much better they are in comfort and quality.