Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2011 Kubota L3800HST

Default Re: Jealous!

Mine would be a lot better if it had power steering, the clutch was working right, and had some gears replaced. The pto won't engage unless it's shut off first, pretty sure some of the gears are shot because it grinds and clunks in some gears, the fuel injector pump leaks some but not too bad. Engine runs good though. It needs a lot of work, but I only paid $1500 for it at auction so it's ok. It's getting me by for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    looks like you have a 63 4000 I have one too.. love it. it's a work horse beast... that 172ci eng makes good mid 40's hp deffinately a good machine.

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

I'm in the same boat, but I still love seein' all the new purchases. Heck, the only thing we could really use around here is a FEL every few months for a gravel drive down to the shop, but whatever our next property is, I hope to have more of a use for a tractor.

Of course if we keep waiting, it may be a condo in FL.
    ____
    Jay

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Good things come to those who wait,, or is it good things come to those who persevere,, anyway good luck.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Verticaltrx View Post
    I like new paint as much as anyone, but the fact is that probably 90% of the members on here are buying the new stuff on credit. Being in debt is not something I'm jealous of, so I'll just save up and buy used (occasionally new) as I need and not worry about what others have.
    Lots of wisdom here..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

I sold my "change of life" hot-rod to purchase my first new tractor.I am getting a lot more use out of my tractor than a garage queen!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by cletus99 View Post
    Mine would be a lot better if it had power steering, the clutch was working right, and had some gears replaced. The pto won't engage unless it's shut off first, pretty sure some of the gears are shot because it grinds and clunks in some gears, the fuel injector pump leaks some but not too bad. Engine runs good though. It needs a lot of work, but I only paid $1500 for it at auction so it's ok. It's getting me by for now.
    1500$ is cheap.

clutches on that size machine are easy to change.

even if the tranny is shelled out.. you can find ford complete trannies usually around 500$.. sometimes with rear ends attached and blown engines up front.. and 4 tires on them..

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

But you are not dependent on your tractor to earn a living. I am retired in a sense, but not retired in that I have a very small farm but work with my cousin (driver, mechanic, cow/calf feeder). He has 4 tractors, all relatively new, and all I have had to do outside of maintenance is replace a cracked hydraulic valve on one. I also work as a driver and do custom excavation work for my BIL. He has 13 red tractors, none newer than 25 years old, and 1 blue tractor 4 years old. He needs all the tractors to have spares because you need to make hay when the sun shines. Last year driving tractor for a chopper I went through 3 tractors in 5 days. One day the PTO shaft broke on a tractor. Next morning the rep,a cement was several inches over full on the dipstick - coolant in the oil. Next morning a flat on the replacement for the replacement. Now I remember the last one wasn't a tractor failure - the blower shaft fatigued and broke miss-day so my BIL finished filling the silo with his chopper. He had also gone through multiple tractors. The thing is my cousin has new tractors and always has money to spend. The BIL is always broke buying parts. The only reason for the relatively new New Holland tractor is he appreciates his wife (my sister) and that is her tractor. She doesn't have the correct vocabulary to keep the junk running.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Tractor
    John Deere

I have to agree with Verticaltrx. A new tractor is nice, but the notes are not.

Tractor
    Many

Old tractors are cool, new tractors are not.

Tractor
    Many

Not all of them but many of our new tractors have been more unreliable than the older ones . 90% of the time it's electrical / computers that cause problems . For me tractors were at their best late 80's early 90's ..And i agree theres no point farming just to struggle to make payments on new paint .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast