Jealous!

/ Jealous!
Mine would be a lot better if it had power steering, the clutch was working right, and had some gears replaced. The pto won't engage unless it's shut off first, pretty sure some of the gears are shot because it grinds and clunks in some gears, the fuel injector pump leaks some but not too bad. Engine runs good though. It needs a lot of work, but I only paid $1500 for it at auction so it's ok. It's getting me by for now.

looks like you have a 63 4000 I have one too.. love it. it's a work horse beast... that 172ci eng makes good mid 40's hp deffinately a good machine.

/ Jealous! #12  
I'm in the same boat, but I still love seein' all the new purchases. Heck, the only thing we could really use around here is a FEL every few months for a gravel drive down to the shop, but whatever our next property is, I hope to have more of a use for a tractor.

Of course if we keep waiting, it may be a condo in FL. :laughing:

/ Jealous! #13  
Good things come to those who wait,:thumbsup:, or is it good things come to those who persevere,:confused:, anyway good luck.. Lou

/ Jealous! #14  
I like new paint as much as anyone, but the fact is that probably 90% of the members on here are buying the new stuff on credit. Being in debt is not something I'm jealous of, so I'll just save up and buy used (occasionally new) as I need and not worry about what others have.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Lots of wisdom here..

/ Jealous! #15  
I sold my "change of life" hot-rod to purchase my first new tractor.I am getting a lot more use out of my tractor than a garage queen!

/ Jealous! #16  
Mine would be a lot better if it had power steering, the clutch was working right, and had some gears replaced. The pto won't engage unless it's shut off first, pretty sure some of the gears are shot because it grinds and clunks in some gears, the fuel injector pump leaks some but not too bad. Engine runs good though. It needs a lot of work, but I only paid $1500 for it at auction so it's ok. It's getting me by for now.

1500$ is cheap.

clutches on that size machine are easy to change.

even if the tranny is shelled out.. you can find ford complete trannies usually around 500$.. sometimes with rear ends attached and blown engines up front.. and 4 tires on them.. :)

/ Jealous! #17  
But you are not dependent on your tractor to earn a living. I am retired in a sense, but not retired in that I have a very small farm but work with my cousin (driver, mechanic, cow/calf feeder). He has 4 tractors, all relatively new, and all I have had to do outside of maintenance is replace a cracked hydraulic valve on one. I also work as a driver and do custom excavation work for my BIL. He has 13 red tractors, none newer than 25 years old, and 1 blue tractor 4 years old. He needs all the tractors to have spares because you need to make hay when the sun shines. Last year driving tractor for a chopper I went through 3 tractors in 5 days. One day the PTO shaft broke on a tractor. Next morning the rep,a cement was several inches over full on the dipstick - coolant in the oil. Next morning a flat on the replacement for the replacement. Now I remember the last one wasn't a tractor failure - the blower shaft fatigued and broke miss-day so my BIL finished filling the silo with his chopper. He had also gone through multiple tractors. The thing is my cousin has new tractors and always has money to spend. The BIL is always broke buying parts. The only reason for the relatively new New Holland tractor is he appreciates his wife (my sister) and that is her tractor. She doesn't have the correct vocabulary to keep the junk running.

/ Jealous! #18  
I have to agree with Verticaltrx. A new tractor is nice, but the notes are not.

/ Jealous! #19  
Old tractors are cool, new tractors are not.

/ Jealous! #20  
Not all of them but many of our new tractors have been more unreliable than the older ones . 90% of the time it's electrical / computers that cause problems . For me tractors were at their best late 80's early 90's ..And i agree theres no point farming just to struggle to make payments on new paint .