Bought a SCUT but need more power

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #1  

JMER

Bronze Member
Tractor
GC2600
This is an update to a thread I started trying to decide which SCUT to purchase. Thank you to everyone that helped me decided. I got input both for and against the SCUT. I looked at JD 1026, Kioti CS2410, Kubota BX and MF GC series. I ended up with a GC2600 with loaded rears, FEL, tooth bar, 4' bb and spike harrow. I've had it for about 4 weeks now and am using it on my 2.5 acres mainly for ground engaging work, leveling land, clearing, digging holes for landscaping, cleaning out a ditch, loader work, seeding yard. It's a great tractor, no problems with it but I've found I need more power, lift capacity and the 3PH doesn't lift my spike harrow high enough to clear the ground so anywhere I go with it, it drags the ground. Plus the tires are a little small for the work I'm doing (especially front tires) and ground clearance could be better. I've decided I'll be doing my mowing with a separate lawn tractor so I won't be using it to mow... short story, I should have gotten a compact tractor.

Talked to my dealer who said they could take the 2600 back and trade it out for something in similar price range but larger. They have LS, MF and McCormick lines and initially suggested LS J2030 and MF 1526. I looked at the specs on these and they really don't seem that much better than the GC2600. Does anyone have experience with either of these (J2030 or 1526) and able to compare to a SCUT's capability in regards to ground engagement? Any input as to how much more a compact tractor can do vs a SCUT? (such as Kubota B series, MF 1500 series, etc vs SCUTs) Any other compact tractor suggestions are welcome.

Edit to add: if you think I'm offbase and just need to be more patient w/the SCUT, tell me that too lol

Last edited:
   / Bought a SCUT but need more power #2  
AS far as the 3pt lift, (i only have a L3400 kubota) have you tried adjust the toplink at all? All of the larger tractors have three different positions for the toplink on the tractor as well as the screw in adjustment of the toplink. On alot of the smaller tractors (my L for example) they have two different holes in the lifting arms for different ranges of lift height. It only moves the location by about an inch, but it makes a big differece in lifting height. That might get you through till you get a bigger machine though! Its a constant struggle, I have an 83 hp john deere and it does everything i initially set out to do, but an extra 20% more hp would be great!

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power
I have tried screw adjustment on the toplink but it still drags. thanks for the suggestion.

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #4  
On my SCUT I had to actually cut down the top link. The top link was a standard cat 1 at about 20" overall length. I cut it down by 5.5" and my root rake I couldn't get up more than a couple inches sits very high now. If I had to do it over again I would have probably taken 7" out of the top link. That'll be another day.

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power
that's a good idea on cutting the toplink. I really could probably even live with not being able to completely raise the spike harrow... but Main issue I still have is I feel I need more power and larger tractor. Really am trying to figure out from people w/experience if there really is a noticeable difference in the ground engaging capability of the 'smaller' compact tractors (like the Mccormick X10.25, MF 1526, Kubota B2320, kioti ck20, etc) vs the SCUTs or if I would need to spend another $2-3k-ish to step up to something bigger to have noticeably more capability.

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #6  
I'm looking to upgrade from my SCUT Kubota BX2200 to a compact as well. I'm looking at the J2030H (as well as the Boomer 25), JD 2520, Mahindra Max 28XL, and Yanmar SX3100, so I will watch this thread with interest. Are those tractors going to get me much more than I currently have?

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #7  
If I were going to go with a bigger, heavier tractor I'd be sure to get more HP with said tractor. I think all those you listed have less HP than your GC2600

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #8  
I went from a BX 1850 to Branson 2400H. I believe the 2400H is similar in size to MF1526. I gained around 800 lbs in weight, 700 lbs lift capacity on FEL and 3PH. For ground engaging work the larger tires (I have R1's) and extra weight make a pretty substantial difference in what you can move. NOTE: You are still traction limited Vs HP limited so unless doing PTO work the extra HP isn't much help. Yes the 3PH will also lift higher than my BX. If you are going to be using for primarily ground engaging work I believe you would notice the difference. A good dealer should let you try one out under actual use conditions Vs sitting on the show room floor. I used my 2400H about 4 hours on test drive before buying it.

I believe bpfick did a write up comparing the BX to B also. I think he went from a BX1860 to B2320.

This is my opinion, I am sure others will vary.

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #9  
After looking at the 2 alternatives the LS and the Massey 1526 I think the LS is about 15 percent more capability's and the 1526 maybe 25% or a little more than your present rig.. so the question becomes, is that enough? From what you are saying, I am doubting it. It sounds like an LS 3039 or MF 1529 or Kioti CK30? I am thinking you were expecting something like these tractors would do in capabilitys, and just bought too small of a tractor for your needs.. It would not be the first time. Nor will it be the last. Good luck..

James K0UA

/ Bought a SCUT but need more power #10  
Since you are not using it to mow and you stated the 1526 is close to your GC in specs, (which in some ways it is but the 1526 does have advantages) I think you may want to look at the MF1529 or MF 1532. I do think if you started with the 1526 you probably would have been pretty happy with its advantages over the GC but now it is a question of function vs needs vs price. It seems you would get the best trade in with your current dealer the sooner the better (with one of the lines he carries). IMO, I would check out the other Massey models (or other similar size brands your dealer carries) more closely, get some prices, and go from there.

And no, I do not think you are off base because if you are already thinking about it, you are not quite satisfied. I doubt you will feel better about it considering what you have written and the chores you outlined until you at least do a little more research. Sounds like myself, I had a MF2310 and liked it, but traded it in for something larger and heavier duty.

But really, no harm in thinking about it and taking some time, getting some more info and enjoying the process until you feel more comfortable with your decision with whatever you decide.

Last edited: