Buying Advice Buying without FEL - bad idea?

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #1  

dgeesaman

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I'm surfing the for sale ads looking for a 33-40HP tractor (Kub 3240, NH TC40D, etc). Not all of the listings have the FEL I'm looking for. Should I:
- stick to used tractors with the right FEL for my needs.
- not worry if it's missing the FEL and buy a Woods or other aftermarket FEL.
- not worry if it's missing the FEL and buy an OEM loader.

That's all.

Dave

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #2  
I'm surfing the for sale ads looking for a 33-40HP tractor (Kub 3240, NH TC40D, etc). Not all of the listings have the FEL I'm looking for. Should I:
- stick to used tractors with the right FEL for my needs.
- not worry if it's missing the FEL and buy a Woods or other aftermarket FEL.
- not worry if it's missing the FEL and buy an OEM loader.

That's all.

Dave

I would just find one set up as you want it unless you can pre match what you need and can live with the net price.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #3  
I think that moneywise you are better of buying a tractor with FEL installed. The original owner got a better deal on it to start with compared to having to set up the hydraulics aftermarket so the price would likely be cheaper overall to buy it with OEM FEL, provided the OEM FEL is in good shape and not beat to H3ll.
The advantage to buying aftermarket, you get new with no pin wear or danger of warped frame or bucket AND the tractor likely has less wear and tear on the front end if no FEL was ever on it. If you can find identical tractors W/O FEL that is $3000 cheaper than one with FEL, then I would look at that and put on a aftermarket FEL. I think they will run you about $3500 difference when pricing new, but I would check with my tractor brand dealer to see what the buy / install is going to cost for a new FEL AND how long it may take to get one. If you are willing to wait 2 or more months then that may not be an issue as I have seen some posts here on TBN where it has taken the dealer that long to get one in.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #4  
In the end, it will be your sole decision. After stating that, if you can afford to buy a tractor with a FEL in the beginning, I think that you will be better off. There is so many uses for a FEL. When I was shopping for my present tractor, I checked the prices on Off Market FEL's and they weren't cheap. And that didn't include installation. Just a thought. Best wishes.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #5  
I'm surfing the for sale ads looking for a 33-40HP tractor (Kub 3240, NH TC40D, etc). Not all of the listings have the FEL I'm looking for. <snip>.

I just went thru that process a few months ago. One of my criteria was < $15K.

There were a lot more tractors under $15K w/o FEL. It also seemed they stayed on Craigslist longer.

When I found my M4700 I was pleasantly surprised the price I got it for (~12K to my door). Right now on Tractorhouse M4700's are advertised for about $15K w/ FEL, $11.5K or less w/o FEL.

I had gotten to the point I was ready to get a 3rd party FEL for about $4K if I could find a 40HP tractor for $11K. Instead I got a 50HP tractor for $12K w/FEL :)

There are so many factors to take into account when buying a tractor that having a FEL or not shouldn't matter IF you can add a FEL, or grapple etc. Now 4WD (or MFWD)is not the same. In my "work" I have to have 4WD, and it's not easy to add 4WD.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #6  
I agree buy it like you want it to be unless it just a 'project' tractor.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #7  
I would say when buying used, get a tractor that already has a loader if you plan on having one eventually. That way you maximize the depreciation on the whole machine. The cost of a new FEL on a used tractor will make the total package price quite close to buying a totally new machine.

I looked into putting a Woods loader on 2-3 used tractors I was considering last time I was shopping. Never penciled out. I was pricing a Woods loader that would fit the TC40 you are looking at (I was considering buying a TC35), and it came out around $7k.

Unless you can get a stupid good deal on the tractor, I don't think it makes sense dollar wise.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #8  
Front end loaders just seem expensive. Even used ones separate from the tractors are expensive, or very beat up.

I agree, if it is an only tractor, then the FEL is very handy.
If it is a second tractor, perhaps not as important.

As dkhntr04 suggested, let someone else pay for the depreciation.

The only reason I might consider purchasing the FEL separate from the tractor is if there were specific design requirements for your FEL that you were not seeing on the tractors.

For example automatic levelling of the bucket.
Quick release implements & Pallet forks.
etc.

If you are looking at some really really old tractors (Ford 8N or similar), then there may be some updates in bucket design to justify a new loader. And, of course, you would get all new hoses. But, again, it would be hard to beat the impact of 60 years of depreciation.

Keep in mind...
The better deal always shows up just after you sign the check!!!

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #9  
buy it with the fel on it from the beginning.by that im talking bout a bub fel for a kub.an a NH fel for NH tractor.

/ Buying without FEL - bad idea? #10  
If I had known how important my FEL would be to me I would've spent my energy looking for a FEL, that would do everything I wanted, with a tractor attached.