Buying Advice I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #21  
If I was going to get a cab with AC then I think the 4240 would be a little too light HP wise.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #22  

... because I surely didn't need 3 tractors.

Gary, does your wife NEED all those shoes? Or NEED all those purses? I'm thinking we banish those words forever. We all NEED as many tractors as we can afford---and then one more.

Man, I wish!

Mark my words here because in 10 years you'll wish you had both tractors and most people reading this would agree.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #23  
Have you priced out a cab M5140 versus an L5240. The M list for about $1000 less than a compatibly equipped Grand L by the time you add a Quick attach bucket ,A must in my opinion. and a Remote for the back both of these are standard on the the M series but for an L you pay about $1200 for them. a swinging draw bar is also standard on the m series. Which is much more capable. With the amount of land you have i'd rather have and M series versus and L series with hydrostatic trans. If the L3800 isn't big enough i would not look at anything smaller than the L5240. I might be biased towards going big as i have a M8540 for 10 acres of land although i intend to own more in the future. Although if all your. Don't get me wrong the L5240 is an awesome tractor and Kubota's HST is Unmatched in performance by anyone else that i looked at before buying my M series. Compacts have a lot of bells and whistles but often lack the features i deemed necessary where as the Utilities lack the bells and whistles but add the stuff i wanted standard

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #24  
If I was going to get a cab with AC then I think the 4240 would be a little too light HP wise.
I have 600+hours on my L4240 HSTC and have never found it lacking in HP.I have two bottom plows,roto-tiller,8ft.snow plow ect.I work ten acres a year for food plots.HST+ in medium for all work,I never use low range.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #25  
I had a JD 790 compact tractor before I got my JD 5420. I love having both of them as they both have their uses(I used them both today...). The 32 hp 790 is the perfect size for my wife's gardening, the 81 hp 5420 does my haying and plowing. I am so glad I didn't trade in the 790. Both have FEL's. One thing I will say about the John Deere it is heavier than the same horse powered L5240. If you ever think you will be plowing or discing, you may want to think about that. RpSr

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #26  
I had a JD 790 compact tractor before I got my JD 5420. I love having both of them as they both have their uses(I used them both today...). The 32 hp 790 is the perfect size for my wife's gardening, the 81 hp 5420 does my haying and plowing. I am so glad I didn't trade in the 790. Both have FEL's. One thing I will say about the John Deere it is heavier than the same horse powered L5240. If you ever think you will be plowing or discing, you may want to think about that. RpSr

Sometimes i wish i had a smaller tractor as well as the big one but so far i have gotten by just fine with the larger tractor. I have not needed to use any of my neighbors smaller tractors but they have needed mine.

And your Definitely right about the weight more is better but 700 lbs is not much $ to add in terms of tire ballast or wheel weights. Hydraulic flow and 1000 - 3000 lbs 3pt capacity on the other hand not so much :D The cost of green Paint is more than the cost of ballast

If you look at a new JD5075E v M7040 The weights are nearly identical It. JD and NH have made their new utility models close in terms of weight to the Kubota's The new T4's are much lighter than the old TN4000's

From tractor data
M8540
85 hp
Weight: 5005 to 6065 pounds
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 4,630 lbs [2100 kg]
7,275 lbs [3299 kg] (optional)
Pump flow: 17 gpm [64.3 lpm]
Total flow: 23.1 gpm [87.4 lpm]

JD5420
81 hp
4285 to 6740 pounds
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 3,374 lb
Next smallest Kubota is 71 hp 10 hp less than the JD.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #27  
Just my opinion and l learned like many others by experience and $$$$. We used a Case Case CX80 for 12 years then bought an M8540 without a rear windshield wiper but ordered one on our L5740 and use it a LOT to clear dirt and debris off. I went until three years ago without a hydraulic top link and it is one of the handiest things I ever bought.

No doubt two tractors are ideal, but there is that old money thing.

I bought an L5740, but the L5240 is the same tractor. For some a L4240, but I wanted a bit more power.

I got all the bells and whistles on mine, but there is a cost; worth it to some and not others.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.
Just my opinion and l learned like many others by experience and $$$$. We used a Case Case CX80 for 12 years then bought an M8540 without a rear windshield wiper but ordered one on our L5740 and use it a LOT to clear dirt and debris off. I went until three years ago without a hydraulic top link and it is one of the handiest things I ever bought.

No doubt two tractors are ideal, but there is that old money thing.

I bought an L5740, but the L5240 is the same tractor. For some a L4240, but I wanted a bit more power.

I got all the bells and whistles on mine, but there is a cost; worth it to some and not others.

Does the rear wiper use washer fluid too or is it just a wiper?

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #29  
The rear wiper shares the same fluid tank as the front wiper. Mainly use rear wiper in snow am on second cab tractor had rear wiper on first so wanted it on second one. The top n tilt function is really nice never had until recently and wow

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #30  
37 acres to mow? I'd upgrade to a tractor with 60 hp (pto), sell that 6-ft cutter and find a 10-ft unit.

BTW: spent two enjoyable years (1963-65) in Rolla at UMR (now renamed) in grad school (engineering physics).