Buying Advice I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #31  
Sounds like you really don't 'need' a tractor at all.

But would like one with a cab anyway. :D

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #32  
Does the rear wiper use washer fluid too or is it just a wiper?

What buppies said, I use mine more than I thought I would. I also got the TNT and love it, you might check on the cost, it was worth it to me, but won't be for everyone.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #33  
What buppies said, I use mine more than I thought I would. I also got the TNT and love it, you might check on the cost, it was worth it to me, but won't be for everyone.
I would love a TNT kit definitely useful for dirt work. have to wait to pay off the tractor for that addition

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #34  
I would love a TNT kit definitely useful for dirt work. have to wait to pay off the tractor for that addition

I can sure understand that, I don't have it on our M8540 either; maybe some day.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #37  
Heck I don't "need" half the stuff I have. If asked, our renters would do everything I do on our main farm with the L5740.

Last year while I was in the hospital, they mowed our yard and bush hogged everything; can't beat people like that.:thumbsup:

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.
I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm taking this a whole 'nuther direction. After some PM's with TripleR (Thanks!) and talking to my wife, mother, banker, and farming uncles (not in that particular order), I'm going to focus on a utility tractor. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, but I drove a JD 5083E and Kubota M7040 this morning. I like both of the dealers and they have solid reputations. The Kubota dealer is where I got my L3800. I'll be trading in my L3800, loader, and 6 foot cutter. Here are the stats that I would like comments on (I'll try to put them both in the same format):

The JD dealer is 10 miles away. They have 3 5083E cab, with power reverser, ag tires. PTO is 69 HP. 2 rear remotes. MFWD. 553 Loader (3604 at 800mm). MX10 pull-type mower (can go to 8' for $900 less). Price includes radio, fluid filled tires, and block heater (I think I would delete the radio (get aftermarket) and heater). 0% financing for 60 months. Insurance is $100 per year. 41,800 after trade-in. 696.70 per month.

The Kubota dealer is 40 miles away. They have 3 M7040 cabs, with hydraulic shuttle, ag tires. PTO is 60 HP. 1 rear remote. MFWD. LA1153 loader (2326# at 500mm). Land pride 10ft pull type cutter (8 ft 3pt cutter for 2600 less or 3900 less used). Price incluse fluid filled tires. 0% financing for 60 months. Insurance is $500 per year (dealer thought that high). 32,200 after trade in. 536.67 per month.

I liked both of the cabs, seats, and how they drove. I like both of the dealers. The JD had another remote, more HP, dealer is closer, and it had some sort of "efficient PTO" for 540 RPM at a lower engine speed. Some sort of gearing thing. I also noticed that the gears were synchronized and I could shift on the go. The Kubota dealer said that the M7040 can't do that, that the gears will grind? I didn't try it, but I'll PM some M7040 owners on here to see if he was right.

Is the JD $10K more tractor? I didn't do any negotiating on either - just did my test drives, got my quotes, and headed out. Thanks for everyone's input.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.
Never mind on the M7040 shifting, I got my answer. It can shift on the fly like the JD.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #40  
I have a Deere5520 which is your tractor in earlier version. My neighbor has a Kubota M7040. My Deere will out pull his because it's heavier and has radials on it but the Kubota is just a more refined version of what a tractor should be. Nice loader; intuitive controls.
They are both good but if a general utility tractor was my goal I would buy Kubota.