Buying Advice I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #1  

gocards1177

Gold Member
Although I bought my L3800 last May, I didn't get to use it hardly at all last year. (So far I've only put 10.2 hours on it:) But after spending half of that time cutting brush yesterday, I now realize it's too small. And without sounding like a wuss, I would be happier with a cab. To review, we have 83 acres, 46 of which is thick woods. So there's 37 acres to keep nature at bay on. And a 2800 foot long gravel drive to maintain. No animals, no house yet, someday an orchard. I don't have any aspirations of driving into the woods. I'm content with trimming the periphery of low hanging limbs to protect a cab.

So, I'm now in the market for a bigger, cab tractor. (Thankfully with my wife's blessing. :thumbsup: Whew!) I like my local Kubota dealer - honest, easy to work with, and fair prices. So I'll stick with them and Kubota. They have a 4240 on the lot that I'll go drive tomorrow, but they would have to get a 4740, 5240, or 5740 from another dealer. I guess tractor dealers trade inventory just like new car dealerships trade? If I can get the pricing to work out, I think I'll go for the 5240 or 5740. They're offering (over the phone anyway) 16,500 as trade for my L3800 and loader, which is pretty fair in my opinion considering the deal they gave me last year on it. He quoted me a price over the phone for the 4240 and 5240 that are 15% below the "Build your own" on the Kubota website. He said he can't remember the last 4740 he sold, so he didn't bring it up. I didn't ask about a price ont he 5740 and he didn't bring it up. With the new emissions changes and the phasing out of the 40 series, I want to move forward soon.

I'll keep my 6' cutter and box blade.

If there's one thing this sites good at, it's giving advice. Do I have to get all the bells and whistles now, even if I don't need them? Can a Mid Mount PTO or remote hydraulics be added later by the dealer? I know the M.O. on this site is "never too big", but I don't want to jump to an M series - I'm hooked on the HST. Is there a sweet spot? I'm thinking 5240?

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #2  
Funny...I just went in last week to check out the L3800 but have recently decided to get the L4240 as soon as my dealer gives me a better price.
I can't even get the to go 10% less than Kubota site

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #3  
Had a 3700 for about a year and found it was too small also - ended up with a MX5100 and am much happier now (no cab however)
Good luck!

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #4  
Have you consider getting some old iron in a much larger size? It can be fun having a beater piece of equipment. :)

Upsizing at McDonald's might not be the best thing to do but often is when buying equipment.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs.
Actually yes. As you can see from my pic I have a bit of a nostalgic side. The red truck was my uncle's 67 f100. I'm the second owner. A blast to drive. I hope to restore it and give it to my 2YO son someday.
Speaking if someday, a big, older tractor would be fun to have. For now I need a utility tractor, though. I'm doing this for enjoyment and to let off steam. I'm not a "real" farmer. As such, now that I've got my feet wet I'd like to make it a bit more enjoyable.

Funny...I just went in last week to check out the L3800 but have recently decided to get the L4240 as soon as my dealer gives me a better price.
I can't even get the to go 10% less than Kubota site

Don't get me wrong. The L3800 is a sturdy, straightforward tractor. I've found it to just be a bit too small and I've decided I would prefer a cab.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #7  
I went through the very same scenario. Upgraded from an L3240 to an L5740HST3C about a year later. There was nothing wrong with the 3240. It just wasn't big enough. FWIW, I went ahead and got everything I thought I'd need at the time of purchase.

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #8  
Shoot, 10 hours in a year -- you should rent!

/ I was wrong. L3800 too small for my needs. #9  
Have a 5240 about one year now and very pleased with it so far. Primary usage is moving dirt mulch and snow removal. Just installed 3 rear remotes to operate snow blade. Width is very stable on hillsides and power is adequate for my needs. Only mow with if z turn is out of commission. Cab is quiet, heats in subteen temperatures and cools in triple digit very very well. Overall could not be happier

Shoot, 10 hours in a year -- you should rent!

That's basically what I've done! I put on 3 hours last year and it sat most of the time. I've done two ~3 hour stints this week and come to the above conclusions. Fwiw at the above price if I trade it in I've spent about $2 per day in rental fees!