Newbie (I know...uh-oh!)

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!) #1  

Got2BTru

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST CAB
Just wanted to say I am SO glad I found this forum! There are a TON of threads I can see from the titles that I need to go through!

We JUST purchased 32 acres in upstate NY (moving back from Texas where I am just too tired of the heat!)...I know I've got my homework to do on the various manufacturers, etc., but I'm concerned with the SIZING right now.

We intend on having a 1000ft driveway, so right off the top it will be used for plowing in the winter. We will eventually be farming, having lowline cattle, etc. Not sure what else at this point...it's all "in the works" at this point!

Thanks in advance!

Chris...
Got2BTru

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!) #3  
well im an old texan but i think i can help you with the tractors you want to start looking at.with cattle snow removeal an long drive way to maintain.you want a 50hp or more tractor with 4x4 an quicktatch loader.now youll want a tractor mounted snow blower an 3pt boxblade with rippers.

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!)
That's what I'm trying to figure out...I know (at a minimum) I'll be doing the following:
* Plowing / Snow blowing an 1100 ft driveway
* Tilling / sowing / harvesting roughly 10 acres for hay, etc.
* Moving hay bales, anything farm related, etc. with cattle (lowlines)
* More, I'm sure...not sure if it's powerful enough to dig out my driveway in the first place...might need a dozer for that!

At this point, I figure:
* 50hp minimum
* 4 x 4
* Cab enclosure (not necessarily a *must*, but given the cold winters in NY, I'd *really* like it
* FEL
* Quick attach connection
* Snow blower attachment
* Auger attachment
* Brush hog

From my initial looking, I don't see a LOT of cab options...unless I'm just not looking in the right place(s).

I DID find in a magazine here in Texas, a site for tractor packages...they had JD's, but I'm leaning to Kubota from what I'm hearing, but I'm not close-minded (yet). I did a search for Tractor packages & placed the various manufacturers in there & found a LOT of sites, so clearly that's the way to go, but none of them had cab packages either...argh!

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!) #5  
For whatever reasons, my local dealers did not stock cabbed tractors, so I had to go to other dealers that did in order to try them out. I'm not disappointed that I did, and was able to order a tractor from a local dealer equipped just the way I wanted it with a cab.

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!) #7  
Welcome from Ohio

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!) #9  
That's what I'm trying to figure out...I know (at a minimum) I'll be doing the following:
* Plowing / Snow blowing an 1100 ft driveway
* Tilling / sowing / harvesting roughly 10 acres for hay, etc.
* Moving hay bales, anything farm related, etc. with cattle (lowlines)
* More, I'm sure...not sure if it's powerful enough to dig out my driveway in the first place...might need a dozer for that!

At this point, I figure:
* 50hp minimum
* 4 x 4
* Cab enclosure (not necessarily a *must*, but given the cold winters in NY, I'd *really* like it
* FEL
* Quick attach connection
* Snow blower attachment
* Auger attachment
* Brush hog

From my initial looking, I don't see a LOT of cab options...unless I'm just not looking in the right place(s).

I DID find in a magazine here in Texas, a site for tractor packages...they had JD's, but I'm leaning to Kubota from what I'm hearing, but I'm not close-minded (yet). I did a search for Tractor packages & placed the various manufacturers in there & found a LOT of sites, so clearly that's the way to go, but none of them had cab packages either...argh!

I happen to live just a few miles to the south of you, although my tractor and my land are in Oklahoma . . . .

I think I know the exact magazine you are referring to . . . . when I was doing my research I realized that those packages they offered were not necessarilly the best choices for tractors - I think they were more about getting someone to say "Wow, I can get all of that for only $299 a month!".

If you plan on actually looking at tractors down here before you move back to NY, there are some good Kubota dealers in the area. I am sure that some of them have cabbed tractors that you could take a look at. Depending upon what dealers are going to be close to where you are moving, let me throw in another name - Mahindra. I started out thinking I was going to buy Kubota, but ended up buying a Mahindra 4035 as I felt it was a better fit for me than the comparable Kubota tractors.

As for the 'packages' I am pretty sure that just about any dealer (even Kubota dealers) would bundle up a tractor / trailer / brush hog / etc. into a package for you.

/ Newbie (I know...uh-oh!) #10  
Welcome:thumbsup: