Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

Default 30hp CUT: New vs. Used ?

I'm considering a major brand CUT purchase. 30hp with FEL and hydrostat drive.

Options:

A. New at about $16,200. Cash, no finance.

B. Used at about $9500 - $10,000 (300 hours, 1 owner, private sale, has been in Hobby Farm service, looks used but not abused, 4 years old, no warranty left.) Cash, no finance. I anticipate that the tractor should go to the dealer first for a complete service first. $500 - $700 ?

My use: Brush Hog 10 acres. Stacking snow banks at our home after plowing the drive with our pick-up truck.

Question: Do I save the dollars and go used OR spend more for a new one where I'll be knowing history from day one. Put another way, is new worth another $6,000 PLUS ???

Thanks.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Default Re: 30hp CUT: New vs. Used ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierrepont View Post
    I'm considering a major brand CUT purchase. 30hp with FEL and hydrostat drive.

Options:

A. New at about $16,200. Cash, no finance.

B. Used at about $9500 - $10,000 (300 hours, 1 owner, private sale, has been in Hobby Farm service, looks used but not abused, 4 years old, no warranty left.) Cash, no finance. I anticipate that the tractor should go to the dealer first for a complete service first. $500 - $700 ?

My use: Brush Hog 10 acres. Stacking snow banks at our home after plowing the drive with our pick-up truck.

Question: Do I save the dollars and go used OR spend more for a new one where I'll be knowing history from day one. Put another way, is new worth another $6,000 PLUS ???

Thanks.

Is this in addition to your current listing of the CT230?
    If you buy the used tractor then have it serviced and checked out at the dealer for $500 to $700 you should know what you bought and know the fluids are all fresh. If you do decide to go this route I might do it differently. Have the dealer check it out thoroughly including fluids (you be responsible for the charges) and buy the tractor if the dealer gives you the thumbs up when done. I would rather risk the $700 than the total cost of service and tractor cost. I don't normally suggest this method but if the tractor is in good shape the cost is the same in total and no one here can physically inspect the tractor for you. Worst case you loose the service cost but still have your tractor money intact.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

I'm helping my brother make the purchase.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

A big welcome from St. Lawrence co.Maybe its just me but I would buy new.Are you looking at another Bobcat?Cash is King,you may be able to get even a better deal on new.You have a couple of good size dealers in your area.

3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Some disjointed bits on the subject.

In part it depends on how much $6K means to your brother and the use he is going to put it to.

Life is full of risks. He could buy a new tractor only to have it break down just past the warranty period.

A tractor with 300 hours should operate like new and look close too it if kept indoors. If this one does not look at other used ones.

If he is suspect of used and really wants the security of a warranty let him buy the new one and you will remain blameless should anything go wrong.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    A big welcome from St. Lawrence co.Maybe its just me but I would buy new.Are you looking at another Bobcat?Cash is King,you may be able to get even a better deal on new.You have a couple of good size dealers in your area.
    The used tractor looks used, not abused, not new. I think $6,000 is a pretty big spread between new and used.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None

He's going to brush hog 10 acres once or twice a year and probably do 5 hours of snow management each winter. Not heavy use.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    Some disjointed bits on the subject.

In part it depends on how much $6K means to your brother and the use he is going to put it to.

Life is full of risks. He could buy a new tractor only to have it break down just past the warranty period.

A tractor with 300 hours should operate like new and look close too it if kept indoors. If this one does not look at other used ones.

If he is suspect of used and really wants the security of a warranty let him buy the new one and you will remain blameless should anything go wrong.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

I would say used, 300 hrs is basically a brand new machine, 4 or 5 years old means its been used just over 1 hour per week average. Sounds like your brother will be putting a similar amount of hours per year on it. If he goes new he will be the one paying $6000 in depriciation over the next couple years. I know that in many cases a new tractors value wont drop that fast but a handful of scratches/dents from normal usage and its about right. If hes paying cash, try to beat the used down a bit, and keep the $6k in the bank, its its own warranty.

3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

What you are saying is that the machine will have very low use and the warranty will expire with just a few hours on the tractor. That is an expensive thing to do. Go with the used one.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    What you are saying is that the machine will have very low use and the warranty will expire with just a few hours on the tractor. That is an expensive thing to do. Go with the used one.

I'm with 3v0 and Mr Harvey. The use you described doesn't warrant new price. And as he said, the warranty will expire with less than a couple hundred hours on the new machine.

I bought a 3 year old kubota B2910 with 250 hours on it. The only visible wear was on the fender where the operator normally rested his right hand. Paid 65% of new price. Was a bargain.
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast