Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #11  
Re: Zero turn mower vs. 60\" Mid or rear mount

70 Boss; As you know, CUT's or sub-compacts are the best compromise machines going. The capabilities of a lawn mower and the ability to do some serious work in one handy package. I have had a BX for 3.5 years and it does a great job mowing and has done done some work that I could never have done with a garden tractor.
Howevere, IMHO, there is nothing better than having specialized machines if you can afford it. I have a long range plan to acquire a ZTR mower and possibly replace the BX with a larger CUT. This is not something that I have to do, as the BX does a fine job; rather something I would like to do. I would say your plan is probably a good one. One thought about the Bobcat, you lose the three point hitch and towing abilities (although there are quick tach implements for the skidsteer.) Don't know how important that is toyou.
Will

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #12  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One thought about the Bobcat, you lose the three point hitch and towing abilities )</font>

Actually there are 3-pt hitch adapters (some even PTO driven) for the Bobcat -- so you don't lose any capabilties of using those type of attachments.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #13  

Thats true, but I believe they mount on the front which would make some attachments a bit awkward. Imagine pulling a plow backwards /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #14  

In respone to the last two messages -

I have honestly only looked at the JD 2210, Kubota 2200 and MF 2300. Those have the best dealers in my area. I really want to stay a little name brand if I can.

The NH in this size as I understand it are somehow different - they are a couple thousand dollars more expensive.

On the models I looked at, I would have to go to the next size up tractor - not much bigger (actually smaller engine), but bigger price - for example the JD 4010 or 4110.

I have not heard about the JD 2210 getting a folding ROPS. I will have to research that - thanks.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #15  

understand your problem with rop hitting trees, but one thing to consider also is MOST foling rops seem to be a little taller than non folding when they are in the up position. i mention this , if clearence on garage is tight. i know u can fold it down but it can be pain and if you forget? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif small point but something to think about.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #16  

I have a 60" Ferris Industries ZTR and let me say this is one hell of a cutter. I have an acre and can cut they entire lawn in 20 min. I have many obstacles including pool, patio and MANY trees. I can zip around really fast. The Ferris mowers also have 4 wheel suspension which allows you to mow faster. I've owned 2 sit mowers before I purchased the ZTR (JD and Cub). The ZTR is no comparison to a garden mower. Now the price is another factor . My commercial ZTR with 25hp engine was $7500. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif With that said, you can place that money on a BX or B series CUT and have a great universal machine.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #17  

<font color="blue">I have a 60" Ferris Industries ZTR and let me say this is one hell of a cutter. I have an acre and can cut they entire lawn in 20 min. </font>

Wow!

I propose the the name be changed from ZTR to ZST ...

Zero Seat Time mower /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #18  

The ultimate option if you have that kind of money is to have somebody mow your lawn. After all for $7500 dollars at $30 a week for 20 weeks a year your will a professionally manicured lawn for more than 10 years.

SethO

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #19  

20 min. is when I need to cut the grass quickly. To do the job right it takes about 45 min. As for the money, well my toys are mowers and tractors. I've been blessed and don't have to worry about money. So instead of buying a Porsche I buy mowers and tractors. My wife thought I was nuts when I came home with a new l3130. I have 30 hours on it in 3 months. But it's been the best 30 hours I've spent the last 3 months. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount

Actually, I paid to have my lawn cut weekly at our "City" house...about 1/2 acre...it was $35. I thought about it out at our new Country/City house, but I am sure it would be more like 70-80 per week....cutting 3 acres.

I bought a ZTR, and it cuts grass like a champ. I wound up with a Gravely 260Z, 25 HP v-twin Kawasaki, pivoting front axle, suspension seat, and hydraulic lift 60" deck.

It took me 1 hour to cut the sale area that took 3 hours with the Toro 72 front mount.

The maneuverability is incredible, mowing around the pond, and the dozens of trees is effortless. The dang thing can mow at 13MPH!!!!!!!!!!

The JD dealer I bought it from is 1/2 mile down the road, so when I need a CUT, I will rent...until I get the urge to buy one too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif....But I will find a Bobcat for my loader needs.

Thanks,

Rob