Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #1  

70boss

Bronze Member
Tractor
Had a B7500
Zero turn mower vs. 60\" Mid or rear mount

Ok, I am trying to decide between the following scenarios.

Buying a commercial 60 inch Zero turn mower, and a used Bobcat.

Or Buying a Compact, like the BX2200, the B7500...etc with a mid mount, rear mount mower, and front loader.

How fast can you mow with the Bx2200? I have about 2-3acres of finished lawn, with numerous trees and landscaping.

I currently have a 72 Toro Grounds master that seems too big, but works OK.

Those Zero turns are sure easy to mow with...

Keep in mind, I am familiar with the Compacts I had a B7500 a couple years ago...but didn't use it for finish mowing.

Thanks,

Rob

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #2  
Re: Zero turn mower vs. 60\" Mid or rear mount

I mow three acres with my JD2210 with 62"MMM in under two hours. Includes about 40 trees.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #3  

The zero turn mower can get up under overhanging stuff better than a mid mount mower and you don't have to back up like with a rear mount mower. For finish mowing I don't think you can beat a good ZTR mower. However with that said a tractor with a mower offers the versatility of doing other things with it. If you do get a tractor with a loader and intend to mow with it be sure to get a good easy quick disconnect loader, they can really hamper your mowing if they are on there.
What do you intend to do with the loader/bobcat ?
Ben

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #4  

Most Bobcats--and skid steers in general--will have a lot more loader capacity than a small CUT. Additionally the skid steers are a lot more maneuverable than a CUT. The down side of a skid steer is that it will really tear up turf. So if you need the additional loader capacity and the maneuverability is attractive you are likely to be happier with two special purpose machines (ZTR and Bobcat) rather than a multipurpose machine (CUT).

I use a skid steer for snow removal and it is great--it handles an 8.5 ft blade with ease and can make a zero radius turn. I use a ZTR for mowing--a superior quality cut and great maneuverability. What this combination does not provide is the ability to use a loader on the turf. If you want to use a loader on turf you should consider a CUT or an articulated machine like the Power Trac which can also mow as well as a CUT.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #5  

if u don't have any other use for a cut than mowing then u might be happy with the ZTR.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #6  

Have you considered a 60" walk-behind? You can save yourself alot of $$ getting one of these rather than a sit-down ZTR.

You can then buy yourself a sulky for just over $100 -- I've got a 48" Scag, but they also sell wider models.

I have a 48" Scag for finish mowing, Kubota M8950 w/ 15' Flexwing for acreage mowing, and a Bobcat 873 for doing all of the hard work. I have no complaints about this setup.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #7  

I asked the same question last week - "Tractor/zero turn" on 8/3. You might find some additional answers there.

Last night, I tested a JD zero turn mower - 60" 25 hp (don't remember the number) and a JD 2210 CUT. We cut some serious grass last night!

I absolutely love the zero turn mowers for grass cutting. If you want a manicured lawn - that is the way to go. I did not like the JD ztr though - there are others that are better.

My lawn is pretty rough - especially the 2 acres of pasture. There is no way I can use a zero turn on my lawn right now - it needs too much work - what condition is your yard?

We loved the tractor - it did cut nice, but wasn't nearly as fast (nor as nice) as the ztr - it didn't manuever as well, nor did it cut as fast.

The tractor wouldn't go under many of our trees with the roll bar - I don't know why they won' t make a CUT with a collapseable roll bar. What are your trees like?

What about hills? ZTR's don't do as well on hills as tractors do. I didn't have much problem last night, but the ground was relatively dry - we tried one in the spring and made a mess of our yard.

Pretty sure we are going for the tractor. We will get a lot of use out of a loader too.

These might not have been answers, but thought my experiences might help you out!

Good luck.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #8  

The Toro seems like it would be a great mowing machine. I see them on many golf courses and the city uses them to cut the parks. They also use a very powerful leaf blower with them. Do they make snow blowers for them? Why is it too big, if I may ask? Just curious. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The tractor wouldn't go under many of our trees with the roll bar - I don't know why they won' t make a CUT with a collapseable roll bar. What are your trees like?
)</font>
don;t know what cuts u have checked out but think if u keep checking u will find quite a few tractors with folding rops.

/ Zero turn mower vs. 60" Mid or rear mount #10  

I read a thread the other day that the 2210 will have folding rops in six weeks.