Buying Advice 2012 John Deere 3032E Review

/ 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #1  

Cntryboy0075

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 JD3032e
Mods, if this post needs moved, please move it to the correct location.
About 6 or so months ago, I got an email from TractorbyNet asking me to do a review of the 3032e I purchased in May of 2012. I had spent many hours on this site, read countless threads on tractors, and after visiting a few local dealers, getting some seat time, I settled on a new John Deere 3032e to take care of my small (10) acres of land. I put off writing a review on the tractor until I had seen it perform in all 4 seasons here in Wyoming, from extreme heat to extreme cold, in sunny, wet, and snowy weather.
To spare the time of typing, here is a link to the JD website giving the tractors data and specs...
John*Deere 3032E Compact Utility Tractor 3000 Series Compact Utility Tractors JohnDeere.com

Now these are my own personal opinions on how this tractor performed for me and my needs. I am not saying it is better or worse than any other make or model of tractor, no bashing of other makes, or putting JD on a high shelf above any other brand. Just an honest review of my tractor and how it met, or didnt meet my needs.

Ergonomics: I found very it comfortable in the seat. Everything is easy to get to, from pedals to levers to streering. The seat isnt that bad for comfort either, having spent many hours sitting in it in weather ranging from 105 to single digits outside. The ROPS seems to be sturdy and never seems to be in the way, the steps onto the foot platform could be a bit lower to make it easier for younger or female operators to get aboard. It would be nice if the steering wheel was telescopic, allowing it be lowered or raised in conjunction with the adjustable seat. Reach to floor is nice, with a wide solid, non cluttered platform, making it easy to not only get on and off, but also easy to see and reach the pedals and levers on the tractor. If the need to get off arose in an emergency, there is no clutter to worry about getting caught up in, and if the PTO is engaged, dismounting the seat will kill the engine quickly.
Body: Much fuss was made of the plastic body on these tractors. After using one for near a year now, I have no complaints. The fenders and hood are plastic, a very good plastic, and have kept my tractor from dents and rust afer much use in the field, from mowing, to landscaping, to lifting, rubbing, bumping, and all the things that can happen while actually using a machine for its intended purposes. Even in the bitter cold, no breaks, cracks or visual blemish to the material arose. And as an added plus, it will never rust. Again, this is not a bashing to other makes, as if you abused this tractor, as many tractors see on larger farms and ranches, such plastic may not hold up as well, but I dont run a full time farm, therefore I didnt buy a tractor built to do so.
Engine: Although the engine is made by Yanmar and sounds like a Yanmar, I would give its performance a 4 on a scale fo 1-5. These motors are not made to work like a 50+ horsepower motor is. You cant get in a hurry if your trying to do something that would actually require a bigger tractor. While mowing sagebrush down last summer, the motor purred along with ease and I only had to slow down to keep it from bogging down if I ran into areas where the sagebrush was over 3 feet tall. That required me to slow down, and at times stop while the brush hog was over the sagebrush to allow the motor RPMs to pick back up. All this was done at 2500 RPMs, the recommended RPM for working the tractor. Once the fields were mowed over the first time, I could cruise along in high range with the RPMs set at 1700-2000 and never have to look back or slow down except where terrain dictated so. No issues during the winter, the tractor started with ease each time I went out to use it, in temps ranging from the 40s to single digits. Simply put the tractor in gear, turn the key to start, hold for 15-30 seconds, bump the throttle up a bit, put it nuetral and fire it up. It would puff a little blue smoke, but cleared up withing a second of starting. I would let it idle for a few minutes before putting it to work, and never had any issues.
The only issues I had with the motor was the cooling. I think a bigger radiator would do this motor justice. Only once, during the summer on a very hot day (100+) did the overheat light come on. I shut the tractor down, let it cool, popped the hood up, cleaned off the radiator screen, fired the tractor back up and finished the job. Had it not been so dusty in the field that day, this may not have even been an issue. Everything in the motor compartment seems easy to get to, and easy to clean and check fluid levels and what not. I did not find it cramped or hard to get to areas in the motor compartment. The tractors fuel consumption would vary, depending on how hard you worked it. 5 gal of diesel would last all day in the field (8 or so hours real time) at 2500 RPMs, and increaced after the first cutting and the hard chores had been completed, and RPMs were reduced the 1700-2000 range. The last time I put fuel in it was in September of 2012, fuel additive added for the winter, one final cut, and all the snow removal and odd jobs over the course of the winter, and today it still has 1/4 tank in it.
Hydraulics: Again, if you need to move or lift stuff that weigh as much as some of the smaller roundbales, this isnt the tractor for you. I believe the 305 loader has a 1200lb lifting capacity, but I never put that to the test. With a good counterweight on the back, it had no trouble lifting, moving, or handling buckets full of Scoria rock, snow, or dirt. The loader isnt as fast as some of the others I have ran, but for day to day chores on a small acreage plot, it serves the purpose well. Reaching the lever for both rear hydraulics and front loader are easy. I do wish the front loader could be raised/lowered and tipped at the same time, but it is a single action function. It will raise/lower or tip one at a time. The loader does have a free float feature that is handy and works fine. The quick disonnect on the bucket is easy to use, and quick. I was worried that with it not having a quick disconnect for the entire loader that getting to the motor or motor compartment would be difficult, that was not the case for me though. I believe you can purchase a kit to make the loader a quick disconnect. The controls are not jerky feeling, from rear to front hydraulics, or the hydro transmission. All seem and feel smooth and transition from one function to another with ease and grace. Again though, I didnt use this tractor for anything it wasnt intended to do. I didnt run it like a bigger tractor, use it like a D9 bulldozer or a 544 end loader. I am happy I purchased this over the other brands, or even other models of JDs. It has fit my bill exactly.
Working/Other stuff: I bought a 48" brush hog to use, because I wasnt exactly sure how the tractor would handle a bigger one the first time I cut the back field where the heavier sagebrush and steeper terrain were. After having used it, the tractor could of easily handled a 60" with ease. I did purchase a 60" box blade, and using it never slowed the tractor down, from ripping to spreading, the tractor went through the paces with ease. Mowing was quick and easy, except for the heavier stuff mentioned above that required slowing/stopping. The R4 tires proved dependable, but not overwhelming. Summer and Fall use they were great, in the fields and dirt. Winter time in the snow, they never got stuck, but the tractor spent the whole time moving snow in 4WD. If the snow got more than halfway up the front tires, you had to back up and move some to keep it going. I wish I had gotten regular Ag tires (R1s) instead, but the R4s do their job, and the ride isnt quite as rough as R1s would of been.
Overall: For me, this has been a great investment. I knew after purchasing the home and land, I would need a tractor to take care of the upkeep of the property. This tractor has done everything I have asked it to do, and kept me smiling the whole time. If for nothing else, the the trouble and backpain it saved me this winter moving snowdrifts taller than the rear tires in my driveway. Cutting breaks would make this tractor a 5 on a scale of 1-5 for me. That and a mid PTO are the only major things I wish the tractor came with. You can get them on the other 3000 series tractors, but that also comes with a big price hike. For the money I spent, I am not going to complain. The dealer experience has been great, helpful, and have had any thing I called about to add to the tractor in stock, no waiting to get it ordered. I do all my own regular maint. on the tractor, so its never been to the shop for a regular service, but others I know and work with who use either of the two local (within 2 hours) of me say service is fast and dependable. That usually is something we all complain and rant about if its bad, so I take them for their word on it.
Conclusion: I would give this tractor a 4 on the 1-5 scale. If you need something affordable, dependable, for all types of smaller acreage chores, I would give this tractor a serious look. I looked at CaseIH, Kubota, and NewHollands before settling on this one. I have always been a red tractor guy, but couldnt love my JD any more than I do. It has done everything I have asked of it and never complained. My wife and son both can use it, and use it safely without me worrying about them. The controls are simple, straigh forward, and easy to get to. The tractor handles fine on terrain from flat, to rolling, to rough and rutted, to more of a grade than a riding mower could handle without puckering where you dont want to. Im sure it doesnt matter what brand you buy, if you buy what fits your bill, your most likely going to be happy with it, but I am sure am glad I went with this JD 3032e.

Last edited:
   / 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #2  
Great review. If you look at the toolbar at the top of the screen, between "forums" and "classifieds", you'll see "reviews". You can go there and find your tractor make/model, copy paste this review, then it'll be there for all time to be viewed by future buyers or interested parties. Again, great review!!! Update as things change. :)

/ 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #3  
I have been looking at either a 3032e or the 3038e for some time now. Main reason being is that it is hydro and the layout is so much more user friendly for the mrs. Honestly the mrs. would probably put more hours on it than I would. I was glad to read your in depth review the tractor. Does the mrs. have any issues with the tractor other than the step?

/ 2012 John Deere 3032E Review
No, she has no issues other than the step, and its not really a big issue. The controls are far enough apart so not to get them confused, and are all easy to reach and identify. She can move the seat forward from where I keep it positioned, and reach the hydro controls with no issues. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
   / 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #5  
Helps out a lot thanks all I have been able to show her is videos of the tractor. The local JD dealership never seems to carry the E series except for the 10 series. We looked over a 3320 but the layout just isn't quite the same. She likes the idea of the lever style parking brake. My old Kubota just has a catch on the brake pedals for P brake and she has to about stand up to get the brake to depress enough for it to catch.

What made you decide the 3032 over the 3038. Everyone always talks about paying the extra grand for the extra Hp at the pto. Have you had any buyers remorse you didn't go with the 3038? I believe all specs on both models are the same for loader/3pt lift, torque, etc except for the hp at pto.

Well, I'll be honest, the dealer didnt have a 3038e on the lot, he had a couple of the higher end 3000 series, a 3005, and a 3032e. Once the price went over 20k, it became unrealistic in price to justify for what I needed. What I wanted, and what I needed were two different things. I would of loved to of had a 4520 with a cab, but I didnt need one that big, nor did I need to spend 35-40k+ for a tractor. I probably would of went with the 3038e at the time I bought 3032e had the dealer had one, but after using for about a year now, and seeing how dusty it can get in the fields during the summer, I am glad I didnt. I would have worried about the life of the turbo in this kind of environment. It may not have ever been an issue, but I have had my fair share of diesel trucks, and I know the turbo and its upkeep are the life of the motor and are not cheap to replace. But, thats just my opinion and feelings from my experience. No remorse, but the extra hp and tq would be useful.

/ 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #7  
How many hours did you get on this?

97 on the clock as of yesterday.

/ 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #9  
That's good to hear Cntryboy I had orginally passed off on 3032e. The turbo does sound like it would be pricey fix if it went out and I didn't like the idea that the 3038 had an air warmer instead of glow plugs for cold starting. I would definitely be more comfortable wrenching on the 3032e (Motor is actually larger than the 3038). All my implements are 5' except my 6' mower and the 6 1/2' disc harrow and I think it would handle all fine. Other than the engine the specs according to tractordata are exactly the same for both models. Going to have to take a long hard look at the 3032e again. After all who doesn't like saving a grand if they can.

/ 2012 John Deere 3032E Review #10  
I bought a new 2014 JD 3032e, and I think this review is accurate. Now that I have 180 hrs under my belt, I would add a couple of other notes. My front-end loader had lift cylinder leak down issues from day one. Since I use my tractor with forks to shrink wrap pallets, leak down was a big problem (safety). My dealer originally replaced the two lift cylinders- no change. JD factory said (going off memory here) that up to 7" of drop per hour is acceptable. Not to me. Ultimately the dealer installed a needle valve under the control valve. Although it's a pain, I can raise loader, lock in the needle valve and lock the load in place. No negative effect on loader speed. I previously had a JD 4010 compact tractor (18 HP), so was expecting much more power from this one. Was somewhat disappointed, but I think it's more about learning how to maximize how you use any machine, and the longer I own it, the better I like it. I also heard negative comments about the plastic fenders. Believe me, the metal structure underneath, plus the thickness of the plastic makes them bulletproof. When you're clearing land and have sticks slam up underneath, you'll be glad it's not a metal fender getting bent and then ultimately rusting (like my old 4010). I just sprung a leak on a front wheel seal, and am not happy about that. If the seal wasn't $140 (part only), it wouldn't be so bad. From what I've read, many JD products in this family range have had the same problem. It would be nice for JD to step up and offer some sort of compromise, IE they pay half.