Buying Advice Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor #1  

Kevko

Tractor
MF GC2410
Looking for some (from experience information) about the Massey Ferguson 1010 hydro 4wd tractors. I currently own a GC2410 and am very happy with it and looking to replace mid 80"s Wheel horse lawn trator. When I dig with the 2410 I have a 4X8 dump utility trailer that I can load and then move to dump so I don't have to handle the dirt twice, where the wheel horse doesn't handle this task very well. Plus the Wheel horse is too small to move the 16ft landscape trailer I have. The reason I am looking at the 1010 is overall size, so it will fit in my shed with the GC2410, and second is price to keep investing cost down. (this mainly so my wife doesn't smash my skull in) Plus something else with a 3 point hitch for easily adding attachments, so I don't have to dismantle the backhoe on the 2410 every time I want to tow something around. Doing some research on the 1010 model I have seen some draw backs with regards to discontinued parts( both engine and hyrdo) This is where I am asking from experience if it is too much of a risk with getting this model? If I go a bit newer, the ability to fit it my shed could become and issue and of course price increases and could be a severe concussion in the making. Any feedback positive or negative on the 1010 would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Kevko

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor #2  
I owned an AC 5020 which is the same as the MF 1010. They were built by Toyo of Japan and I think they have been out of business for years. The little AC was a good little tractor however I began having parts issues in 1999. I sold it and bought a Yanmar and I can get parts within 3 days from Hoye.

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor #3  
My brother had a 1010 back in the 90's. It was a good little tractor, but as Professor pointed out, I would research parts ability before purchasing. You probably have a relationship with your MF dealer, I'd ask some questions about parts availability.

Will

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor #4  
I suggest you contact Mabie Brothers, a long time Massey dealer that stocks and ships parts world wide. They are in the Syracuse, NY area.

Very honest, decent people.

Good-luck.

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor
Thank you Professor, Will C and Pierrepont for the feedback so far. Everything is confirming information I have been searching about it. If it can be bought cheap enough it still might be worth it if I can get 3+ years lifeout of it and then part it out to others that are trying to keep theirs going. decissions decissions!

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor #6  
Parts are hard to find but can ussually be found. Thats half the fun.

These Masseys are great tractors. For their size they are heavy and very reliable. My 1020 has 4800 hours on it and its only seen regular service. No major problems.

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor #7  
I had a similar tractor to the 1010, the Simplicity 9518. The 1010 has overlap on parts though:
Simplicity 9518, Allis Chalmers 5015, Hinomoto C174, Duetz Allis 5215, and the Massey Ferguson 1010 are all the exact same tractors, manufactured by Hinomoto and powered by Toyosha 3 cylinder diesel engines. Parts availability is pretty rough, I bought an injection pump for the 9518 and I remember it being in the $350-$400 range. However used parts can be had relatively easily, with this many of the same tractor out there (different paint/names on the hood) you shouldn't have much trouble. Hinomoto made the base tractor with a gear transmission, hydrostatic was not available until later years and was only offered on the C174 and the 1010, the others I believe had dropped the Hinomoto manufacturing deal by then. Hope this helps a bit...

/ Looking to buy aMassey Ferguson 1010 as a second tractor
Thank you everyone very much for the assistance with the Massey 1010 and similar duplicate model versions of it. Does anyone know who the original manufacturer of the Hdryo tranny pump was for these? I have been trying to google it along with potentialboneyard type places that might have intact functioning used hydro parts for it, before I take the chance and grab the one in my area. I am also sort of a tool time Tim Allen/Mcgiver rolled into one as far as abilitites to do custom modifications, but don't know if other engines and transmissions can be made to fit it if I end up with something non repairable.

Sincerely,

Kevin