Price Check M7040 or 5083E

/ M7040 or 5083E
I would also be looking into maybe a batwing 15' or even 20' mower depending on just how many of those 37 acres you want to keep mother nature at bay on. For an orchard I would see about getting a batwing that could be offset to get under the trees.

I would like to keep all of the 37 acres cleared.

/ M7040 or 5083E #12  
TripleR,

I also mentioned the 0% financing for 72months from deere, that was a big nod in their favor.

I am very hard on equipment and it gave me a little more peace of mind knowing that there was substantially more material in a compareable tractor. I have never had an issue with compaction or the weight hindering me, I'm actually looking at getting more weight since my loader will pick my loaded rear tires clean off the ground with no troubles. I did not have the option at the time to have multiple tractors for multiple uses. My primary uses at the time were the 10' brush hog and heavy loader work with the square bale grabber and moving round bales. I have also done a substantial amount of digging with it as well. My arugument for the weight was that weight=traction for the majority of tractors out there. The heavier the tractor the better it pulls.(unless your in mud then it sinks like a rock!)

I forgot the OP mentioned about maintaining the orchard and the shallow roots, but i dont completely agree about the lighter tractor being better if thats the way you meant it.
I did not have the ability to strength test the tractors components side by side so i made the ASSUMPTION that the heavier weight was a more robust tractor. I dont think deere makes the best tractor at any particular model either. If you have a particular need for a heavy or a light tractor then thats the best tractor for your needs. And as we all know, everyone's need are completely different. Hence why I ended up buying a L3400 HST Kubota that makes alot of chores much simpler.

Maybe in 55 years I'll have a compareable tractor collection? I'll cross my fingers.

To the OP, I have a 10' brushog and it works my tractor pretty good in the hills and when the grass gets to be pretty tall. If you have thinner grass or mow more often it shouldn't be to big of a deal. Just make sure you have plenty of front ballast!

/ M7040 or 5083E #13  
I pull a 8ft/12ft/15ft with my 7040 and have several hundred acres to take care of and the 7040 does everything needed,including baling,run 8ft hay cutter,raking hay,loading hay,discing,tilling,moving brush,box blading driveway and pulling 300gallon sprayer,atleast 250hrs a year without a issue...

/ M7040 or 5083E #14  
TripleR,

I also mentioned the 0% financing for 72months from deere, that was a big nod in their favor.

I am very hard on equipment and it gave me a little more peace of mind knowing that there was substantially more material in a compareable tractor. I have never had an issue with compaction or the weight hindering me, I'm actually looking at getting more weight since my loader will pick my loaded rear tires clean off the ground with no troubles. I did not have the option at the time to have multiple tractors for multiple uses. My primary uses at the time were the 10' brush hog and heavy loader work with the square bale grabber and moving round bales. I have also done a substantial amount of digging with it as well. My arugument for the weight was that weight=traction for the majority of tractors out there. The heavier the tractor the better it pulls.(unless your in mud then it sinks like a rock!)

I forgot the OP mentioned about maintaining the orchard and the shallow roots, but i dont completely agree about the lighter tractor being better if thats the way you meant it.
I did not have the ability to strength test the tractors components side by side so i made the ASSUMPTION that the heavier weight was a more robust tractor. I dont think deere makes the best tractor at any particular model either. If you have a particular need for a heavy or a light tractor then thats the best tractor for your needs. And as we all know, everyone's need are completely different. Hence why I ended up buying a L3400 HST Kubota that makes alot of chores much simpler.

Maybe in 55 years I'll have a compareable tractor collection? I'll cross my fingers.

To the OP, I have a 10' brushog and it works my tractor pretty good in the hills and when the grass gets to be pretty tall. If you have thinner grass or mow more often it shouldn't be to big of a deal. Just make sure you have plenty of front ballast!

Agreed, we all make assumptions and for many years wouldn't own anything but a steel and wood gun, no weak aluminum frames for me, no sir; time passes, well OK aluminum works pretty well after all, but don't expect to EVER see me with one"plastic" guns, no way, no how; few years pass and you guessed it. My only point though I took lot of words to express it is, I don't accept the blanket statement that heavier is always better or stronger.

A heavier tractor works best in your situations, I use heavy some places and lighter in others. No I wasn't implying anything about orchards or tree roots, don't even remember that being mentioned.

It appears we both have the tractors we need and are happy with them. I think the OP is more interested in what he wants as evidenced by the other thread. I could take care of the chores he put forth with my L5740, but having a CUT you know ride is better with the bigger tractors and of course there is the buddy seat which is good enough reason in itself.

I have tractors I need and those I want, my last one was purely a want and my wife even has a BX she wants, not needs, but don't tell her I said that.:laughing:

/ M7040 or 5083E #15  
wouldn't a 5065e or 5075e be a closer comparison to a 7040 Kubota or don't they put cabs on the smaller E series

/ M7040 or 5083E
You know I did ask the salesman about the 5075e but he said he didn't have a price on them yet. He was of the opinion that the tier4 changes would make it almost the same price as last years 5083e.

/ M7040 or 5083E #17  
Agreed, we all make assumptions and for many years wouldn't own anything but a steel and wood gun, no weak aluminum frames for me, no sir; time passes, well OK aluminum works pretty well after all, but don't expect to EVER see me with one"plastic" guns, no way, no how; few years pass and you guessed it. My only point though I took lot of words to express it is, I don't accept the blanket statement that heavier is always better or stronger.

A heavier tractor works best in your situations, I use heavy some places and lighter in others. No I wasn't implying anything about orchards or tree roots, don't even remember that being mentioned.

It appears we both have the tractors we need and are happy with them. I think the OP is more interested in what he wants as evidenced by the other thread. I could take care of the chores he put forth with my L5740, but having a CUT you know ride is better with the bigger tractors and of course there is the buddy seat which is good enough reason in itself.

I have tractors I need and those I want, my last one was purely a want and my wife even has a BX she wants, not needs, but don't tell her I said that.:laughing:

Very well put and I think I said I made some assumptions based on the data that the manufactures were supplying on their websites. I also assumed that the first thing most people do when they get a tractor is add ballast to get more traction, so 1300lbs is a lot of "free" ballast to not have to add on extra. If you have a specific need for a light tractor I had not considered that. I have a lot of tractors and equipment I want to own but my wallet certainly cannot support more than what I have got at the moment! I have no idea where I got the orchard root thing from, must be mixing posts up in my head again.

I have one of those plastic guns you mention and I think it’s ludicrous as well but a lot of police carry that very same weapon and that speaks volumes about durability in my mind. People that hang their life on it is good enough for me!

OP: I re-read your original post and the 540E setting runs your motor at a lower rpm to get the 540 rpm at the pto for low hp implements. I have never used it, but I believe that it also will not let you over rev the engine when that is engaged.

Last edited:
   / M7040 or 5083E #18  
I have one of those plastic guns you mention and I think it’s ludicrous as well but a lot of police carry that very same weapon and that speaks volumes about durability in my mind. People that hang their life on it is good enough for me!

Oh I do trust them now. Our department only allowed us to carry a revolver made by S&W, Ruger or Colt or in later years a Glock 22, 23, 27. I kept my old duty weapons a G23 and G27 and accumulated some more when I retired. My son was a Police Officer and instructor and had to get over his love of the all metal guns as well.

I still like the all metal ones better, but trust the "plastic" ones as much as anything I own.

/ M7040 or 5083E #19  
i own a 7040 i to owned an L3800 i will say the 7040 is light in the rear i have cast centers loaded tires i can still pick the rear off the ground at times when lifting heavy or lifting offset i say look at the deere alot closer

/ M7040 or 5083E #20  
wouldn't a 5065e or 5075e be a closer comparison to a 7040 Kubota or don't they put cabs on the smaller E series

In the 2012 brochure the smaller 5 series are all open station, untill you get to the 5083E limited. Only the 5083E, 5093E, and 50101E, are listed as Cab.

Bill