Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77
  1. #51
    Super Member crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,784
    Location
    Northern Vermont

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Congrats on the new tractor. Sounds like the deere just seamed to fit you better, that means a lot in my opinion. I can adapt to lots but when it just feels right from the beginning then it makes it that much easier to really bond.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

  2. #52
    Veteran Member wmonroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,723
    Location
    Southwestern, PA
    Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

    Default

    Congrats on the new tractor. I would also suggest you get the cutter you pan on using in the end and if In the mean time yo half to take smaller passes, that's ok.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

  3. #53
    Silver Member bglz42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    182
    Location
    DIckinson, Texas!
    Tractor
    2013 John Deere 5083E

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Congrats! You are going to love it!
    Humble Camp Peach Farm
    2013 John Deere 5083E, 2013 JD 328 Square Baler
    1966 Massey Ferguson MF150 Diesel High Clearance
    1953 Ford Jubilee

  4. #54
    Gold Member gocards1177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    309
    Location
    Rolla, MO

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Quote Originally Posted by wmonroe View Post
    Congrats on the new tractor. I would also suggest you get the cutter you pan on using in the end and if In the mean time yo half to take smaller passes, that's ok.
    i think I'm going to stick to a 10' pull type. I know a 5083E could do a 15' batwing, but it seems like a more complicated set up with more $$$ both initially and in the upkeep, not to mention more parts to break. I think with mowing about 40 acres twice a year or less, a 10' will suit me fine.

    Also, I spoke with the dealer today and he said they're putting in the buddy seat and rear wiper this afternoon. The loader is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll post pics when it's delivered- hopefully next week.
    JD 5083E cab, 553 loader, MX10 cutter

  5. #55
    Platinum Member Notforhire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    767
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia
    Tractor
    JD 5055E

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Yes, pics are required.

  6. #56
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    730
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    congrats on the E was the price your final decision? A 10' full mount is a tad heavy, make sure you get some suit case weights or keep your loader on!
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

    '01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

  7. #57
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,748
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Quote Originally Posted by gocards1177 View Post
    i think I'm going to stick to a 10' pull type. I know a 5083E could do a 15' batwing, but it seems like a more complicated set up with more $$$ both initially and in the upkeep, not to mention more parts to break. I think with mowing about 40 acres twice a year or less, a 10' will suit me fine.

    Also, I spoke with the dealer today and he said they're putting in the buddy seat and rear wiper this afternoon. The loader is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll post pics when it's delivered- hopefully next week.
    We have been very happy with our Woods DS1260 pull type behind our M8540 and for your acreage it should do quite well. We mow as much or a bit more as you intend twice per year and while it takes a bit longer than a 15 ' bat wing, we like the maneuverability and less weight as we have a lot of hills and some places a bat wing won't fit, plus the 10' stores much easier. Well there is that whole money thing too.

  8. #58
    Gold Member gocards1177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    309
    Location
    Rolla, MO

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    congrats on the E was the price your final decision? A 10' full mount is a tad heavy, make sure you get some suit case weights or keep your loader on!
    Thanks, yes, the price was the last straw. When I got the JD to within $5K of the priced for the M7040, I figured for that little difference and that much more tractor, I couldn't go wrong. Plus it helps the that the JD dealer is local. I like both the tractors and dealers. I even like my current tractor, it's just on the small side and no cab.

    What's a good source for weights? It seems silly to pay for these new, but I'm having a tough time finding anything on Craigslist. I'm keeping an eye out for local auctions.
    JD 5083E cab, 553 loader, MX10 cutter

  9. #59
    Gold Member gocards1177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    309
    Location
    Rolla, MO

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    We have been very happy with our Woods DS1260 pull type behind our M8540 and for your acreage it should do quite well. We mow as much or a bit more as you intend twice per year and while it takes a bit longer than a 15 ' bat wing, we like the maneuverability and less weight as we have a lot of hills and some places a bat wing won't fit, plus the 10' stores much easier. Well there is that whole money thing too.
    Yes, I think that 10' is the sweet spot for my needs. I missed out on a good deal on MX10 on Craigslist by about 20 minutes yesterday (at least that's what the seller said). Bummer! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. I'm trying to get something not too old, not too rusty, not too abused, not too off-brand, and of course, not too $$$.
    JD 5083E cab, 553 loader, MX10 cutter

  10. #60
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15,748
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: M7040 or 5083E

    Quote Originally Posted by gocards1177 View Post
    Yes, I think that 10' is the sweet spot for my needs. I missed out on a good deal on MX10 on Craigslist by about 20 minutes yesterday (at least that's what the seller said). Bummer! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. I'm trying to get something not too old, not too rusty, not too abused, not too off-brand, and of course, not too $$$.
    You might want to tell your dealer what you are looking for, our salesman often acts as an intermediary on equipment. Someone comes in looking foe something and if he knows someone who has one, he gives them the name. He has sent a few people our way when we had stuff for sale. He will also take our equipment in for consignment sales.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 5083E Anybody have one??
    By KB9UDE in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM
  2. New 5083E
    By michaelmoten in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 11:36 PM
  3. considering a 5083e
    By MikeF in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
  4. JD 5083E vs M7040
    By peter_vii in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM
  5. Buying Advice 5083E
    By davel745 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.