Price Check M7040 or 5083E

/ M7040 or 5083E #51  
Congrats on the new tractor. Sounds like the Deere just seamed to fit you better, that means a lot in my opinion. I can adapt to lots but when it just feels right from the beginning then it makes it that much easier to really bond.

/ M7040 or 5083E #52  
Congrats on the new tractor. I would also suggest you get the cutter you pan on using in the end and if In the mean time yo half to take smaller passes, that's ok.

/ M7040 or 5083E
Congrats on the new tractor. I would also suggest you get the cutter you pan on using in the end and if In the mean time yo half to take smaller passes, that's ok.

i think I'm going to stick to a 10' pull type. I know a 5083E could do a 15' batwing, but it seems like a more complicated set up with more $$$ both initially and in the upkeep, not to mention more parts to break. I think with mowing about 40 acres twice a year or less, a 10' will suit me fine.

Also, I spoke with the dealer today and he said they're putting in the buddy seat and rear wiper this afternoon. The loader is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll post pics when it's delivered- hopefully next week.

/ M7040 or 5083E #56  
congrats on the E was the price your final decision? A 10' full mount is a tad heavy, make sure you get some suit case weights or keep your loader on!

/ M7040 or 5083E #57  
i think I'm going to stick to a 10' pull type. I know a 5083E could do a 15' batwing, but it seems like a more complicated set up with more $$$ both initially and in the upkeep, not to mention more parts to break. I think with mowing about 40 acres twice a year or less, a 10' will suit me fine.

Also, I spoke with the dealer today and he said they're putting in the buddy seat and rear wiper this afternoon. The loader is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll post pics when it's delivered- hopefully next week.

We have been very happy with our Woods DS1260 pull type behind our M8540 and for your acreage it should do quite well. We mow as much or a bit more as you intend twice per year and while it takes a bit longer than a 15 ' bat wing, we like the maneuverability and less weight as we have a lot of hills and some places a bat wing won't fit, plus the 10' stores much easier. Well there is that whole money thing too.:)

/ M7040 or 5083E
congrats on the E was the price your final decision? A 10' full mount is a tad heavy, make sure you get some suit case weights or keep your loader on!

Thanks, yes, the price was the last straw. When I got the JD to within $5K of the priced for the M7040, I figured for that little difference and that much more tractor, I couldn't go wrong. Plus it helps the that the JD dealer is local. I like both the tractors and dealers. I even like my current tractor, it's just on the small side and no cab.

What's a good source for weights? It seems silly to pay for these new, but I'm having a tough time finding anything on Craigslist. I'm keeping an eye out for local auctions.

/ M7040 or 5083E
We have been very happy with our Woods DS1260 pull type behind our M8540 and for your acreage it should do quite well. We mow as much or a bit more as you intend twice per year and while it takes a bit longer than a 15 ' bat wing, we like the maneuverability and less weight as we have a lot of hills and some places a bat wing won't fit, plus the 10' stores much easier. Well there is that whole money thing too.:)

Yes, I think that 10' is the sweet spot for my needs. I missed out on a good deal on MX10 on Craigslist by about 20 minutes yesterday (at least that's what the seller said). Bummer! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. I'm trying to get something not too old, not too rusty, not too abused, not too off-brand, and of course, not too $$$.

/ M7040 or 5083E #60  
Yes, I think that 10' is the sweet spot for my needs. I missed out on a good deal on MX10 on Craigslist by about 20 minutes yesterday (at least that's what the seller said). Bummer! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. I'm trying to get something not too old, not too rusty, not too abused, not too off-brand, and of course, not too $$$.

You might want to tell your dealer what you are looking for, our salesman often acts as an intermediary on equipment. Someone comes in looking foe something and if he knows someone who has one, he gives them the name. He has sent a few people our way when we had stuff for sale. He will also take our equipment in for consignment sales.