Dilema!!!!

/ Dilema!!!! #1  

Porkie

Bronze Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC40D-HST
Hello!

I haven't posted in quite a while but I'd sure like some sage advice regarding a few things but first here's some history:

I bought a new Holland TC40D HST, in 2000, with the NH loader and a Bushhog 72" Squealer cutter, an 84 inch finish mower, a 6ft box blade, 6ft scraper, 3 point seeder etc and it has done the job well but I'm looking for a change. It only has 1384 hours since new.

My local New Holland and Kioti dealer has offered me $12,500 trade in so I'm looking at 2 models right now, a Workmaster 55, in 4WD, shuttle, with loader for $27,795 total OTD and a Kioti DK 40SE HST, in 4 WD with loader for $22,950 OTD.

I have a 40+ acre Farm and some other farmer bales my hay so I just mainly use a tractor for fence line maintenance, gardening and perimeter brush cutting and do use the loader a lot.

The Kioti pros are: Operation is just like my TC40D, with PTO HP about the same, which is in my opinion minimal for the Squealer 72. Having the HST is a lot easier for any family member that may use the tractor. It's cheaper also but it is smaller too, like my TC, which has some advantages.

The WM 55 pros are: Bigger and more full size, with more HP and torque, which means I won't be beating a smaller tractor to death. The shuttle feature for reversing is nice but I've never had a manual tractor before but it may offer better choices in speed and load over the smaller tractors.

What say you???????

Thanks, Sam:)

/ Dilema!!!! #2  
Well, i guess it depends on what your plans are. If its only you using the tractor/someone who can operate a standard trans the shuttle shift isn't to bad as long as you can up/downshift on the fly. The HST is by far better for loader work but the standard trans I think does tractor work alot better. I imagine that the tractor isn't really that much smaller if your comparing wheel base to wheel base but I could be wrong as i'm not familiar with either.

The other thing I would be comparing is the features each machine has. Some tractors are just alot simplier/have those little perks that make using it so much nicer. Have you test drove either machine yet? That would be a great starting place! One may have something very annoyingly placed that you wouldnt notice just looking at them side by side.

/ Dilema!!!! #3  
When I look at your worklist it would seem the tractor you have is a good size. Still if looking for a new tractor I recommend you look at and sit in all the new models you can. Kubota and Deere both have hst models that would be a good fit, I have been well satisfied with a Deere 4520 60hp hst cab and know Kubota has a very similar sized machine. Most of the brands out there today have a strong following and are good tractors so try them all out.

/ Dilema!!!! #4  
Is that the only DKSE the dealer has on the lot? I see Kioti has a 45 and a 50 SE HST. From what you have written it seems you are questioning (a little) the power of the Kioti model you were quoted. Can you get a price on the larger Kioti models? There is quite a difference in price between the two tractors you listed and maybe you can find a happy medium. If you are not in a huge hurry, a little more research with your dealer (or another dealer or model line) might help your decision.

/ Dilema!!!! #5  
I would look at the DK45 over the DK50. Only pto 2 hp difference between them. Pricing should be max. 2 - 3k more per model. DK55 is manual synchro-shuttle only. Should compare more to the NH but with the operation you are more familiar with.

/ Dilema!!!! #6  
Sam, I don't understand what you hope to gain by trading your TC40D. Certainly, the Kioti is a lateral move with only new paint being an improvement over your TC40D. The Workmaster 55 is a step up, but the dealer is asking full retail so he can offer you a higher dollar on your trade-in. Even so, you are spending around $15k for a 15 hp gain and going to a shuttle shift on a tractor that weighs about 600 lb more than your TC40D. Are you looking for more pulling power and a gain at the PTO? Will the extra 2 gpm hydraulic flow be something you need? Do you currently have any rear remotes? I think both the Kioti and the Workmaster come with one rear remote.

I just see the Kioti as a lateral move with a new warranty and a fresh new tractor. The Workmaster is a step up and away from compact tractors to a small Ag tractor. Either of these moves will cost you $10k to $15k. You have to decide if it's worth it. If I were you, I'd at least look at Mahindras in the same size as the Workmaster to see how their features and price match.

/ Dilema!!!!
Hi Jim and the others that have responded. Jim, I have 'talked' with you on this forum many times over the years and have appreciated your responses and input.

I basically just want something new and different to work on the farm with and a person can always use a little extra HP and torque and a shiny new toy. I really used my Boomer a lot on the property BEFORE I started having the Fescue harvest (HAY) handled by a local Farmer whom I trust so now I don't use the TC that much anymore.

With so many choices, it makes it difficult to make a decision on a new tractor. So far here's what I think:

New Holland Workmaster 55 with 4WD and a NH loader is a somewhat nice but really is bare bones tractor, that isn't much bigger in any way than my TC40D HST but it does put more PTO HP to the implement (12) than my TC and much larger 4WD front tires so it should ride smoother. The manual gearbox will take some getting used to as I haven't had one in a tractor before. I also fit well in it with my 6ft-5in, 325 LB+ superbody:) :) Some tractors like cars and pickups don't somehow fit me!

The Kioti's I've looked at in the same HP range, make the New Holland look anemic. The Kioti's in every way are more substantial, except for the smaller FWD front tires.

I've had really good luck with my Boomer and in the 13 years I've owned it aside from a few little things that I easily took care of, I only had a hydraulic pump go out and I fixed it myself.

I'm lucky because the same dealer, S&H tractor, in Lockwood, MO, handles NH and Kioti, so that will be nice no matter which I decide to buy.

Sam:)

/ Dilema!!!! #8  
I would look at the LS tractor models like the U5030 or the new XU models with a cab. I think you may find you can get one of those much cheaper than the NH and get more power, more amenities including a cab for the $27K difference. That seems to be about what many folks have paid for their U 50xx series with out trading a tractor.

/ Dilema!!!!
Gary, I have the 'Big Nickel' newspaper in front of me as I type this and a new LS U5030, 50 HP, with loader and bucket, 16x16 synchro shuttle and 4 hydraulic remotes is on sale for $27,995, including all discounts and rebates---no Cab.

I found this today in a Kioti: New DK45SEH, 45 hp, hydrostat, 4x4, loader AND CAB, for $27,995. This is a deluxe tractor with lots of cool stuff.

So many choices and so little money:)

Sam:)

/ Dilema!!!! #10  
i have to agree.

I think I'd look at that 10-15k$ number and simply ADD a 2nd tractor with HST for the other family members to use. certaintly a 2nd tier machine could be had in that #

you are simply taking too much of a hit.

unless the machine is ragged.. I don't think you are getting good trade on a low hr 40 w/ loader.. vs those options..

Sam, I don't understand what you hope to gain by trading your TC40D. Certainly, the Kioti is a lateral move with only new paint being an improvement over your TC40D. The Workmaster 55 is a step up, but the dealer is asking full retail so he can offer you a higher dollar on your trade-in. Even so, you are spending around $15k for a 15 hp gain and going to a shuttle shift on a tractor that weighs about 600 lb more than your TC40D. Are you looking for more pulling power and a gain at the PTO? Will the extra 2 gpm hydraulic flow be something you need? Do you currently have any rear remotes? I think both the Kioti and the Workmaster come with one rear remote.

I just see the Kioti as a lateral move with a new warranty and a fresh new tractor. The Workmaster is a step up and away from compact tractors to a small Ag tractor. Either of these moves will cost you $10k to $15k. You have to decide if it's worth it. If I were you, I'd at least look at Mahindras in the same size as the Workmaster to see how their features and price match.