Buying Advice Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #11  
It is a bit of a shame to buy new and have the warranty run out with just a few hours on the tractor. If you spend the time looking you can find some very nice like new used tractors.

A bigger tractor is great but it also is more difficult to use in tight spaces. Watch for backhoes that have not seen enough of the grease gun. You can buy a used tractor and a new hoe.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P
Thank you all for the feedback. Going to do some driving tomorrow. Found out the JD dealer I bought my mower from is now a Mohindra dealer so I am going to go see them, Kubota at Norfolk Power and JD up at 146 Supply Center with a great Pull Pork Sand which for lunch. Looking at what I want I think I am going to be over my 30K with the addition of a Snowblower but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for.

FOLLOW UP Question

What is better Factory Backhoe or 3rd party? One dealer I talked to is pushing the Woods Backhoe but I am not sure why, might be better margins for him?

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #13  
Really can't improve on all of the great advice given, hard to pick the right tractor. As recommended take your time, look at all brands, spend as much time as you can and it often helps to rent one to get a baseline for comparison.

We gave up on owning a backhoe years ago and just rent when needed. We find it easier and cheaper, but that is just what works for us and we have several farms.

OK Thank you again. I am very unproductive at work this week.

Rethinking the Backhoe idea. I have read several threads now like this one and have read many people who wish they used the 6 - 7 K they spent on the Backhoe on other attachments or a bigger machine. I really "Need" one for about a weeks worth of work. Maybe I can negotiate a free week with one of their rentals into the purchase price of the tractor with FEL and other attachments.

Wow my head hurts.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #15  
That';s part of the problem with a backhoe;want exceeds need for most people.Im lucky and can borrow one on the rare occasion that I need one.Put the money towards a larger tractor,you won't regret it.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #16  
Just noticed you wanted to move between 1/2 and 1 ton with pallet forks. That rules out the BX.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #17  
OK Thank you again. I am very unproductive at work this week.

Rethinking the Backhoe idea. I have read several threads now like this one and have read many people who wish they used the 6 - 7 K they spent on the Backhoe on other attachments or a bigger machine. I really "Need" one for about a weeks worth of work. Maybe I can negotiate a free week with one of their rentals into the purchase price of the tractor with FEL and other attachments.

Wow my head hurts.

It's worth a try, we bought a used one years ago when we were setting up our houses and used it a lot then no more. We rent stuff like skid steer loaders, excavators and backhoes. We got a cabbed tracked skid steer loader this summer for over a week for $1100, we only need a backhoe for a day or so at a time, so the cost isn't much and if you compare how much a backhoe costs vs how much you pay for rent, renting makes a lot of sense for some.

There are those on here who use their backhoes a lot and wouldn't live without one, you just have to decide which camp in which you belong. Most of us probably"want" a backhoe, but "need" not so much.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #18  
If I had you kind of snowfall I would get a snowblower too. Net says you average 3 feet but I expect it can easily 2X that in wet years. Also depends on how much area you have to move.

Surest way to not get much snow is to buy one. :)

If I had you kind of snowfall I would get a snowblower too. Net says you average 3 feet but I expect it can easily 2X that in wet years. Also depends on how much area you have to move.

Surest way to not get much snow is to buy one. :)

Had over 100 inches this winter. Trying to plow more then a foot with my ATV just doesn't work and we had 4 storms this year over a foot and one of 30 inches.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #20  
I haven't seen anyone recommend checking out alternative brands from JD and Kubota so I will throw out a couple of names that you should check out. Kioti for one, they also make some Case IH models for them. The Mahindra Max 28 might fit in the garage and you just might get the TLB for $30K but likely not the snowblower and forks.
Then there is the not so well known LS brand that just about 3 years ago started marketing their brand under their name but they also make Boomer NH models for them also and perhaps a few others but NH is the best known. Check out the LS Tractor threads here on TBN for some info on prices, operations, problems etc. They are usually thousands of $$$$ less than other major brands. I bought one 2 1/2 years ago and haven't had any mechanical issues to date although I did break the seat mount, (240 pounds bouncing over rough ground) cracked the fuel tank (running over scrub trees and the skid plate was bolted to the fuel tank, that design was changed) and busted off the drawbar attachment bracket( attempting to pull out a 14 yard fully loaded dump truck) all of which was replaced with newly designed components that eliminated the weak spots. You might look at the G series for smaller garage housed machines or the U for the larger 50+ HP (think will definitely not fit in the garage).
If you will be doing lots of snow blowing, you might consider dropping the backhoe attachment from you wish list and rent what you need and instead put the $5K toward a factory cab option with heat and a/c. I love my cab for the comfort(dry, dust free, heated and cooled) and protection from those nasty bees and wasp when you encounter them while mowing.