Buying Advice Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #1  

Bundi

Tractor
JD 1025r FILB
I want a small utility tractor with FEL and Backhoe, have no need just want. I looked at the 10xx JD and the BX25d and they seem a little small for me. I am 6'5 275lbs so I need something that will be comfortable. I have read all day on different posts and my head already hurts. I do not want a monster machine as I want to park it in the garage.

I Also want to add a front Snow Blower and more than likely Forks to move Pellets and other stuff that come on pallets (1/2 ton although a ton would be bonus)

In reading the b2920 looked interesting as did the JD 2520 (God I hope I got those numbers correct). I like the Kubota because you use the same seat for the Backhoe and tractor so I assume it would be shorter then the JD. I am open to any other tractor if anyone has another suggestion.

I thought about buying used and just got even more confused.

Is there a thread somewhere for people like me who also want the Backhoe option? I read several but they all talk about FEL and MMM - WHAT is mmm? Is it a mid mount mower?

One more question - what is the better tractor to add a Backhoe to?

PLEASE keep me under 30K for Tractor, FEL, Backhoe, Snowblower and forks.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #2  
Any tractor with a backhoe,make sure it has a sub-frame and not a three point hitch mount.My son-in-law is about your size and operates a B7800 with a hoe,quite a tight fit.I can run it(and I'm 50lb lighter and five in.shorter) but its not comfortable.B7800 is about the size of B2620-B2920.All the Kubotas as far as I know are sub-frame mounted.
MMM is mid mount mower.You may want to look at the standard L series,Kubota.I.E L3800-L4600.Not familar with other brands ,I'm sure some one will chime in on Kioti,JD,Massey ect.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #3  
On Kubota USA site;I built a L3800,4wd,FEL,HD bucket,R4's,HST transmission,Back hoe.....list for $32,000 should be able to buy for less than $30,000.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #4  
ya going to want to physically set down on what ever models ya end up looking at. to much difference between same company and different models and different models from other manufactures. the controls, seat, etc...

a lot of what you mentioned, you might consider a "skid steer" i tend to see non-knowing folks refer to them as "bob cats". were ya set down inside of a cage, and everything is out in front. it is a little more costly, and more of a "job site" setup vs an actual tractor but. *shrugs* something to think about.

==============
you know what you have and most likely would do with the machine. so going to try and get some more info out of ya, so others might be able to point ya in a better direction.

how many acres do you have?

is this for personal or business?

do you have any hills? if so how steep would you say they are? (degrees, slope, pictures, or something to help denote how steep the hills are)

are you needing something with a finishing mower (to mow yard around your home?) or are you looking at a 2 tractor setup, one finishing lawn mower, and another tractor that does everything else?

what are you going to be moving with the pallet forks? rocks, stone, lumber, firewood, just general DIY projects around the home?

what is the backhoe for? stumps, trenches?, culverts?, just moving stuff around?

what type of driveway do you have? rock, concrete, asphalt? any dirt lanes on property ya take care of, or path ways through some trees?

approx how long are these driveways and lanes?

i realize above, may seem noisy, but having idea of what the tractor will be used for and how big of the jobs the tractor will need to handle. allows folks to get a better reference point of there been there done that situations.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #5  
I'm about your size, and ended up with an L3200. There's 'enough' space in the seat, but my size 12s sometimes get tangled up in the pedals when entering/exiting. I wouldn't go smaller. Be sure and check Barlows for price; Night and day compared to our local dealer.
L3200_1.jpg

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #6  
I'm more familiar with John Deeres but I think you may want to go for at least a 2720 or maybe even lower 3xxx series if you'd like to lift 1000 lbs with forks. As I always tell people, think carefully about the backhoe. Everyone wants one but how much will you use it? For specific jobs you can rent either a bigger backhoe or a small mini-excavator a lot of times for the cost of a backhoe. The big backhoe will do a lot more than a CUT mounted one and a mini-excavator will do a small job much easier. Also, on most machines, a backhoe is not something you can take off or put on in minutes like a blade or loader.

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #7  
In the Kubota line up, based on your size, an L series, MX Series or lower end M will come closer than a BX series for comfort. Maybe a higher hp B series. I felt like a cartoon when I got on the BX series tractors at the dealer.

I am not familiar with other makes as far as size goes. It does sound like you need to be in a compact tractor rather than a subcompact. I have a Kubota MX5100. It has plenty of leg and foot room and the seat is high enough that elbows and knees don't knock.

The advice on the backhoe practicality by KennyG is worth considering. We have a 250 acre cattle farm and for the number of times we have needed a backhoe we couldn't justify the expense. We have spent less than $1,000 for backhoe services in the last 25 years (not counting septic tank installation etc which we wouldn't do anyway).

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P
you know what you have and most likely would do with the machine. so going to try and get some more info out of ya, so others might be able to point ya in a better direction.

how many acres do you have?

is this for personal or business?

do you have any hills? if so how steep would you say they are? (degrees, slope, pictures, or something to help denote how steep the hills are)

are you needing something with a finishing mower (to mow yard around your home?) or are you looking at a 2 tractor setup, one finishing lawn mower, and another tractor that does everything else?

what are you going to be moving with the pallet forks? rocks, stone, lumber, firewood, just general DIY projects around the home?

what is the backhoe for? stumps, trenches?, culverts?, just moving stuff around?

what type of driveway do you have? rock, concrete, asphalt? any dirt lanes on property ya take care of, or path ways through some trees?

approx how long are these driveways and lanes?

Nothing is too personal when you are helping me.

I have 4 acres I live on and 42 up North. Already have a bush hog and smallish tiller that can run on something as small as the 2920 but not much smaller.

Personall use - for fun :)

Have hills but not anything signifigant

Have an old JD LX280 that does a great job mowing but 2 acres of lawn isn't fun with a 42 inch deck :mad:

Palet forks are just a nice to have to move stuff around. We had them on our Old tractor when I was a kid and they really came in handy. Adjustable width allowing me to pick up larger rocks is one of my main thoughts. We also had an 8 x 4 x 4 box we made for moving around large yard debres and leaves etc...

Backhoe would be General use - I have been going back on forth on this point as it is a 5 - 6 K option. I can rent one for a week for under 1K. I have two trenches I would love to widen and maintain. Once widened I could easily maintain with the FEL. I would love one with a thumb so I can pick up rocks and trees (To cut them as I am lazy and would prefer not to bend down) If i do stumps I would dig around them not try to just tear them out. Like I said - no need more WANT.

At the house we have a 600 foot ashphaly driveway I curently use a Polaris Sportsman 800 with a 60" state plow. It is aweseome for small storms but when we get more then 6 - 9 inches it get tough and I rip my lawn to shreds (OPERATOR ERRORS)

Love the feedback so far. I only really know JD and Kubota but have been reading the other forums and learning. Been thinking about this a couple years but just now being serious as I finally have the cash set aside to actually do this.

Please keep opinions and questions coming

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P
O yeah - Love skid steere idea but really won't do what I want. I have looked at a couple used since there are so many around. Also good point on sub frame. I would never do one without it as I have twisted the frame on a car or two when I was younger because of increased Horepower and not properly modifying the frame

/ Don't need but want - but do not know what I want :P #10  
If you are debating about the physical size of tractor that will fit you go by the dealers and sit on them and climb on/off a few times. The dollar difference for moving to a comfortable fit will be insignificant over time.