IH 684 - Looking for Opinions

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions #1  

tarkio

Tractor
JD 2940
I posted earlier looking for a mid-sized tractor to do utility work and perhaps run a small square baler and maybe even a round baler.

Just came across an IH 684 with loader.

Anyone with experience with this tractor. It is fairly low hours and comes with a loader.

Thanks for your input.

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions #2  
If it's nice and the money is right .Personal experience of running many tractors of that size and age side by side.... Possibly better engine than a ford ...better hyd than a JD ...Clutch and brakes maybe the weak points and that stupid fuel tank . If it has the cascade gearbox definatley the best to use as a loader tractor as it's in the left hand but they can be a ***** to jam between gears if worn out !

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions
The tractor and loader are about $8,000.

What do you mean by: "If it has the cascade gearbox definatley the best to use as a loader tractor as it's in the left hand but they can be a ***** to jam between gears if worn out"?

I don't know what a cascade gear box is and why this would be best for a loader tractor.

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions #4  
The tractor and loader are about $8,000.

What do you mean by: "If it has the cascade gearbox definatley the best to use as a loader tractor as it's in the left hand but they can be a ***** to jam between gears if worn out"?

I don't know what a cascade gear box is and why this would be best for a loader tractor.

Gearsticks are on left side of the seat leaving right hand free to operate loader controls . L and R are opposite each other acting somewhat like a shuttle making it a fast and smooth loader tractor .

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions
The seller is motivated as he is relocating out of state and is willing to take less than $7000 for the tractor.

Sounding better to me.

If this thing is listed at over 60 hp, should it be able to run an older JD round baler?

Thanks.

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions #6  
I bought a new 584 years ago with a 2250 loader. loader goes on & off in minute or 2. Decent tractor and loader for the time period. Dealer upgraded the trans in mine with a kit to make it shift easier, also put a better aftermarket clutch in at the same time, under warranty, I paid the extra for the better clutch over std.

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions #8  
I had a 624 for 10 years - had over 8000 hours on it when I sold it ... was a darn good tractor.

/ IH 684 - Looking for Opinions #9  
The seller is motivated as he is relocating out of state and is willing to take less than $7000 for the tractor.

Sounding better to me.

If this thing is listed at over 60 hp, should it be able to run an older JD round baler?

Thanks.

Personally i would say too small but depends on acres size of baler etc .I dont like less than 90hp on a 4x6