Buying Advice Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #11  
Good advice so far.
How about mowing? You'll probably want an 8-ft wide flail mower which may determine the pto hp you need.

Good luck.

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #12  
Good advice so far.
How about mowing? You'll probably want an 8-ft wide flail mower which may determine the pto hp you need.

Good luck.

He will probably be using a 6' mower as you want to stay far away from the vines. In a mature vineyard I can't run a 6' rotary cutter down 9 foot rows.

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard
I will probably be using a 6' flail mower and 200 gallon sprayer to start with.
What vineyard tractors/implements are you all using and any pros/cons?
Robert, I have been reading your very informative posts here on the forums, particularly about the Kubota and I am sorry you are having to go through so much to get a tractor you can tolerate.
Thank you everyone for your input - I am trying to nail down a few model options that have been working well for the experienced users. I really appreciate your advice.

Rich

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #14  
I use the Kubota for spraying with my older fmc economist 400 gallon air blast. I run a Bush Hog 295 rotary cutter also.

Weed spraying is done with a Ford 1920 and I mounted a green hoe company weed spray bar to the front and plumbed it to a 3pt brodcast sprayer.

I use a Case-IH Farmall 45A to replace posts. I have a Shaver post pounder mounted to that rig.

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #15  
Greetings from the finger lakes region of NY.
We have about 55 acres of grapes, and we farm another 20 of our neighbors..
The main spray tractor is a 2005 JD 5520N. 75 HP 2wd, We pull a 300 gallon john bean (FMC) airblast.
It is a good tractor, but we have that and a 2010 JD 5045D, and neither one is even remotely comfortable.

Our grapes are on a 9X8' spacing and we mow with a 6' rotary mower.
I am not sure how ergonomical the Kubota narrow tractors are, but my MX5100 and M9540 are both very comfortable.
We also have a few old fords.. 2 3000's 1 4000 narrow, and a 3930.
It all boils down to what you like.
Jonathan

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #16  
You might want to keep in mind that if you're ever going to get an automatic picker, they don't turn well and require totally exiting a narrow row before turning; requires a large turn area at the end of each row. Not sure if those pickers are tractor towed, or self-propelled though.

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #17  
There is a low hour JD 85F on tractor house now, I would go get it...

HS

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #18  
There is a low hour JD 85F on tractor house now, I would go get it...

HS

The 85f is great for low orchards but isn't very comfortable. Extremely cramped cab with very little headroom.

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard #19  
You might want to keep in mind that if you're ever going to get an automatic picker, they don't turn well and require totally exiting a narrow row before turning; requires a large turn area at the end of each row. Not sure if those pickers are tractor towed, or self-propelled though.

There are both types. The trailed units require more room then the self propelled units.

/ Recommendations for 40 acre vineyard
Went to a Kubota and New Holland dealer today. The salesman was talking about the Grand L40 series. Is the M series overkill for a 40 acre property with probably 30 acres in grapes? Looks like the L series is narrower. Anyone have an L4740 or L5240?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Rich