found

/ found #11  
It's not as cut and dry always as one would think. A good friend of mine had a fourwheeler stolen. Years later it was found in the northern part of the state by DNR. Just go get it right well not so fast. It's new owners had a bill of sale and even though he had a title, he paid his fourwheelers new owners $2k. It is what judge decided, he either didn't get it back or bought it back. I had never heard of something so ignorant but whether you believe it or not... It happened. Sad thing is I always run numbers and title and register stuff to check if it's stolen, but I aint forgetting a bill of sale either. Good luck op. I think if someone has stolen property like that they need to go to jail whether they know it was stolen or not. If they don't know it was stolen it's because they didn't check.

/ found #12  
It's not as cut and dry always as one would think. A good friend of mine had a fourwheeler stolen. Years later it was found in the northern part of the state by DNR. Just go get it right well not so fast. It's new owners had a bill of sale and even though he had a title, he paid his fourwheelers new owners $2k. It is what judge decided, he either didn't get it back or bought it back. I had never heard of something so ignorant but whether you believe it or not... It happened. Sad thing is I always run numbers and title and register stuff to check if it's stolen, but I aint forgetting a bill of sale either. Good luck op. I think if someone has stolen property like that they need to go to jail whether they know it was stolen or not. If they don't know it was stolen it's because they didn't check.

That is a really #*+%~€ poor judge. The new owner was in possession of stolen property. I can make up a bill of sale with a form bought at Staples and it can say anything I want it to. The title holder should have gotten his property back then the new owner could seek damages against whoever he bought it from. Of course the new owner probably bought it from his cousin who is also in the northern part of the state and has another cousin that is, coincidently, a local judge. That's why he had to buy his own property back! I guess that crime does pay.

/ found #13  
The victim is the 'original owners estate' which would include all heirs to said estate. And as was posted previously, it is stolen property and as such is recoverable, no matter the time frame.

It's possible there are no heirs, and no estate can be identified....this happens pretty frequently. In a law enforcement stating, I've recovered property that was stolen (this is seen with guns frequently, because of the NCIC registry for stolen firearms), where the original owner passed away 20 years ago, and there are no known living relatives....talk about a pain to sort out. The other thing hat has been mentioned, is that the original owner may have been compensated by an insurance claim, and then it can get complicated, because they gave up rights to said property upon settlement of their claim....what if the insurance company (who should take possession) no longer exists?

/ found #14  
do insurance companies ever just vanish? I would think that they (and their accounts/ assets) are bought by another insurance company, in which case they would have the rights to the property. I am no lawyer, just throwing that out there.

/ found #15  
do insurance companies ever just vanish? I would think that they (and their accounts/ assets) are bought by another insurance company, in which case they would have the rights to the property. I am no lawyer, just throwing that out there.

They do, and have, but most times it only happens to smaller companies. That normally wouldn't be the case with bigger companies, but it could still happen if they went bankrupt, and liquidated everything. Quite a few of them disappeared entirely when the original versions of variable, and universal, life insurance failed (rates based upon unreasonable investment returns).

/ found #16  
There is two sides to every story and dealing with stolen property and "posession" or stolen property is a double edged sword.

WHY should and INNOCENT person who bought a tractor, ATV, or whatever have to suffer if they find out the property was stolen and they had no Idea????

I know I buy and sell several things on craigslist. I bought my 1967 ford back-hoe off there for $6k. Now if someone knocked on my door and said it was stolen and they were taking it back, I wouldnt be a happy camper. Why should I have to pay???

People who mention "looking" up or "running" serial numbers....who actually does that?? And if so, WHERE?? should we all call our local sheriff or police every time we want to buy something?? As if they arent overwhelmed enough. And I dont know of any online database to look it up? And the way things move from state to state......who would manage and update said website??

And even if there was a database....I have little faith. A few years ago we had over $3k worth of chainsaws stolen. They were reported ASAP. A few weeks later, they turned up at pawn shops. BUT WAIT...they are supposed to report serial numbers every week of items to police departments to see if items are stolen....so what went wrong??????

I'm not saying its right. I HATE thieves. BUT, put yourself in the shoes of the person who "may" have recieved stolen property unknowingly.

/ found #17  
There is two sides to every story and dealing with stolen property and "posession" or stolen property is a double edged sword.

WHY should and INNOCENT person who bought a tractor, ATV, or whatever have to suffer if they find out the property was stolen and they had no Idea????

I know I buy and sell several things on craigslist. I bought my 1967 ford back-hoe off there for $6k. Now if someone knocked on my door and said it was stolen and they were taking it back, I wouldnt be a happy camper. Why should I have to pay???

People who mention "looking" up or "running" serial numbers....who actually does that?? And if so, WHERE?? should we all call our local sheriff or police every time we want to buy something?? As if they arent overwhelmed enough. And I dont know of any online database to look it up? And the way things move from state to state......who would manage and update said website??

And even if there was a database....I have little faith. A few years ago we had over $3k worth of chainsaws stolen. They were reported ASAP. A few weeks later, they turned up at pawn shops. BUT WAIT...they are supposed to report serial numbers every week of items to police departments to see if items are stolen....so what went wrong??????

I'm not saying its right. I HATE thieves. BUT, put yourself in the shoes of the person who "may" have recieved stolen property unknowingly.

/ found #18  
If your paying over a grand for something and you can check if it's stolen. You better! What's it hurt to check a model and serial. It happens automatically with vehicles for the most part. If I don't know the history on something I'm picking up, I check. Now a lawnmower who would know but tractor, atv, etc... What's it hurt?

/ found #19  
The auction houses and major trade publications list serial numbers for used equipment listed for sale.

I'm told insurance companies review the data and do find stolen equipment.

Of course if it disappeared many years ago... all bets are off... especially if no police report or insurance.

/ found #20  
It's yours call the police in that town and pick it up NO PROBLEM, it's that simple.

Cat Driver not always so simple. neighbor purchased a new wood miser band saw mill and with in a month it was stolen he was given the license # of a pickup that had parked near his saw mill and checked with the sheriff the pick-up was licensed in another county. driving to given address saw the saw mill and cell phone called the local police . then followed at distance and the pick-up drove away with saw mill into another county and police could not follow . so called that sheriff dept. A year later received notice the saw mill had been sitting in a storage lot of tow truck salvage with fee of 25 a day storage. and then other charges so value of getting exceeded the new price. It is called legal theft here.
ken