found

/ found #1  

plumbstraight

Silver Member
Tractor
5300 John deere,53 harry ferguson, ck20 kioti, 135 ferguson, 350jd dozer, k40 kubota excavator
Many years ago I posted that a tractor had been stolen. The old fellow that lost it has passed. Was talking with a fellow and he was telling me about a nice one he found on craigs list. It had a rollover cage and a nice winch. I asked him about some of the particulars about the winch and be damned if it wasn't the rigl. I built the cage and that winch. It's been over 10 yrs and in the next state over so I guess nothing can be done. Sure would like to string up the fellow that sold it to him though.

/ found #2  
Nothing can be done? If it's reported stolen and the serial matches, why not go get it?

/ found #3  
I would sure look into getting it back, The guy that has it now is in possion of stolen property. I would think something can be done about it.

/ found #4  
Nothing can be done? If it's reported stolen and the serial matches, why not go get it?
I agree 100 %. I don;t think that there would be a Statue of Limitations involved in this incidence. Even though the original owner has passed, I would think that your identification and the work you performed, would add credence to the case. Just a thought.

/ found #5  
Story in the local paper of a corvette that was stolen in 1963 and recovered 45 years later at the port as it was being loaded on to a ship...

/ found #6  
Stolen property is stolen property. The statue of limitations only deals with indicting someone for a crime. The cops could still interview him about the tractor, and see where it leads. The problem is going to be that the person it was stolen from has passed, so who's the victim?

/ found #7  
It's yours call the police in that town and pick it up NO PROBLEM, it's that simple.

/ found #8  
Stolen property is stolen property. The statue of limitations only deals with indicting someone for a crime. The cops could still interview him about the tractor, and see where it leads. The problem is going to be that the person it was stolen from has passed, so who's the victim?
The victim is the 'original owners estate' which would include all heirs to said estate. And as was posted previously, it is stolen property and as such is recoverable, no matter the time frame.

/ found #9  
Many years ago I posted that a tractor had been stolen. On this site? The old fellow that lost it has passed. Was talking with a fellow and he was telling me about a nice one he found on craigs list. It had a rollover cage and a nice winch. I asked him about some of the particulars about the winch and be damned if it wasn't the rigl. I built the cage and that winch. It's been over 10 yrs and in the next state over so I guess nothing can be done. Sure would like to string up the fellow that sold it to him though.

Some good advice in the posts above. Did the guy you were talking to actually buy the tractor, or just see it on CL? Follow up on it, at least for our entertainment. :D If the current owner didn't know it was stolen, I will feel bad for him/her.

/ found #10  
Many years ago I posted that a tractor had been stolen. The old fellow that lost it has passed. Was talking with a fellow and he was telling me about a nice one he found on craigs list. It had a rollover cage and a nice winch. I asked him about some of the particulars about the winch and be damned if it wasn't the rigl. I built the cage and that winch. It's been over 10 yrs and in the next state over so I guess nothing can be done. Sure would like to string up the fellow that sold it to him though.

That tractor could have had a few owners since it was stolen. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's likely that the person who stole it 10 years ago sold it off for cash as soon as possible. It is still likely recoverable if it was reported stolen and the tractor still retains serial numbers or someone has old pictures of the tractor with the custom work. I would notify the heirs if you know them, and know where the tractor is now located. Let them pursue it further if they choose. It may not be worth the effort to them, especially if it was covered by insurance for the theft.