MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060 #1  

TractorBob1529

Silver Member
Tractor
MX5100DT
I currently own a MF 1529. It worked great when I first bought the tractor, but I now need a bigger more powerful machine, either the MF 1643 or the Kubota L4060 (new model that just came out, I think). I have not had any experience with either of these tractors, aside from sitting in them at the dear. The biggest reason for posting is that I want to know more about the controls of these tractors. I have gotton use to the SyncroShuttle of the MF and looking at the HST transmission has made me confused more than anything.

Disclaimer*** I am not out to bash any brand. In fact I would love to own either one. I just want to know from all the MF 1600 series owner and Kubota Grand L owners out there about their likes and dislike. I would have gotten another MF, if it wasn't for the the fact that I bought a Kubota KX 121-3 excavator and love how long it has lasted. And it seems that I hear more from Kubota owners vs MF owners. So everyone, post something!

Thank you.

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060 #2  
Last year I bought a MF 1635 cab with Power Shuttle, I tried the hydro and found the to whine too much for my liking. I also didn't like how the engine rpm on the hydro would rev up every time i touched the hydro pedal. In short, the power shuttle just felt better, maybe it was because I was used to driving a gear tractor. I have used it for mostly for mowing and snow blowing, sometimes I can see where a hydro would be nice, but I don't think I would change if I could do it over again.

I did look at the Kubota Grand L, but the price scared me from really getting too serious about them.

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060 #3  
HST requires you to rethink how you operate a tractor. The engine RPM is not tied directly to the speed. Before you get use to the idea of HST you will naturally push on the pedal and expect the engine to rev up, most HST tractors will not. You need to first set the engine RPM and then use the pedal to adjust the speed you want to go. Kubota's Grand L 40 series has the best of both worlds (I assume the 60 series also has it) with what they call the auto throttle. If you're tractor is at idle it will rev the motor up like a non HST tractor as you step on the HST pedal.

Kubota makes the best HST system on the market today. Yes I know that's a strong statement but it really offers more useful features than any other brand. You will pay for those options but IMO they are worth it. It has a two speed HST motor matched to a 3 speed gear box. This gives you 6 speeds, 3 gears which each have a high and low range. You can switch between high and low range while the tractor is moving. What that means is if you are trying to fill your bucket from a pile of dirt you can just drive into the pile and start to fill the bucket. Once the resistance of the bank starts to dog the tractor down you can simply push a lever (like the high/low beam on a car) and you drop down to low range. It really is a time saver.

Other features include a way of preventing the tractor from stalling of you put too much of a load on it and being able to control how quick the HST system responds to the pedal. For most tractor uses HST really is the best. Any operation where you are going forward and backward often HST can't be beat. Any operation where you are changing between two gears Kubota's HST+ can't be beat.

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060
Thanks for the replies. When I first looked at the HST setup, I admit, I was quite confuse and scared of it. Having only used the MF SyncroShuttle, I had nothing to compare it too, except an old 8N four speed. I would have to assume that Kubota makes a decent transmission, since they sell so many tractors. Guest I am going to have to "test drive" both tractors and go from there.

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060 #5  
I agree with crazyal pretty much on all points. Here are a couple of things that might help: http://www.toplinetrailers.com/documents/L60.pdf

Kubota HST-Plus Transmission - YouTube

The two primary tractors for me are an M8540 Hydraulic Shuttle Shift and L5740 HST+. I honestly like them both and can see why the decision is hard especially for someone who is unfamiliar with HST operation. Until 2010 I used only geared tractors on anything bigger than a lawnmower. I got a L5030 then and this summer bought a L5740. While I am quite comfortable using either type transmission, in this size I find the HST+ easier to use and less tiring after a long day of moving dirt, back and forth, precise maneuvering etc. If I am just running a bush hog going in, it doesn't make a of of difference.

You can do anything with the hydro shuttle that you can with the HST and my son can keep up with me doing dirt work with me on the L5740 and him on the M540, but it is more tiring long term.

Like most on here, I don't bash brands or types and I am sure either will work well for you and I always recommend looking at all different brands. I consider the HST+ the most versatile HST out there, but it is expensive as a package and you can do quite well with a standard HST. To me it is worth the money and everyone must make that determination.

One caveat, I did not initially like the HST+ trying it out on the lot as it "seemed" too complicated and you may not fall in love with it right off the bat. After a few hours I really earned to appreciate the features and really like it.

I figure there is going to be a learning curve with the HST. When I first got the MF 1529 I mostly pulled a box blade and such to maintain my driveway. Now I do alot of "shuttle" work witht the FEL. Just moving dirt from one spot to another.

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060 #7  
I figure there is going to be a learning curve with the HST. When I first got the MF 1529 I mostly pulled a box blade and such to maintain my driveway. Now I do alot of "shuttle" work witht the FEL. Just moving dirt from one spot to another.

For that type of work you'll love HST. Kubota's HST+ just makes doing dirt work easier than you ever thought possible. You'll never have to anything more than flick a lever and slightly move your foot while moving a pile of dirt. No shifting of gears to get a little extra grunt while digging into a bank, no shifting of gears because that low gear that you used to get the force you needed to get a good scoop of dirt is too low now while transporting it.

One more thing. Because of how HST systems work you'll be using your brakes less. When the HST pedal is in the middle position it's not in neutral. It's more a case of the hydraulic motor is trying to go both forward and reverse at the same time. The result is the tractor may creep slowly but over all it's more like having the brakes on.

Looks like I might be getting an L4060. It all depends on how much it cost to fix the KX121-3!

/ MF 1643 vs Kubota L4060 #10  
I can not say enough about my MF 1643 HST. I've had it since September back blading my 1/4 mile long driveway, bush hogging tall grass, tilled my garden and food plots and it pulls an old 9' double row disc just fine. Pushes snow like crazy also, it's done everything I've asked it to do. The hydro trans is so simple to run there's practically no learning curve.

That said, I have never been on any Kubota. No dealers near me.