Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Husqvarna YT46LS

Thank you everyone for your advice and recomendations so far. As for the larger walk behind mowers I think the property is too large and it would take too long with one of them. The 2/3-3/4 lot size estimate was from the landlord but he wasn't 100% sure.
    Are the Husqvarna mowers sold at dealers different than the ones sold at the big box stores? I saw one at a local dealer for around $1700 that I like.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Default Re: Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase

Quote Originally Posted by DPuro329 View Post
    Thank you everyone for your advice and recomendations so far. As for the larger walk behind mowers I think the property is too large and it would take too long with one of them. The 2/3-3/4 lot size estimate was from the landlord but he wasn't 100% sure.
    Are the Husqvarna mowers sold at dealers different than the ones sold at the big box stores? I saw one at a local dealer for around $1700 that I like.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

Dave,
    Welcome to the forum. Do you need something for snow removal? Thought I would mention this for your locale, most of the guys seem to need a mower with snow removal capabilities as that is cheaper than hiring it out in most cases. If all you want is a mower that is cheap right now I would recommend you look for a good used model something that was about $5000 new selling used for $1500 to $2000.

Tractor
    Husqvarna YT46LS

Thanks for the welcome! As far as snow removal, my trusty Ariens snowblower made it through the winter just fine. My main concern with buying used is that since I have never bought, owned or even used a riding mower before I have no idea what a good used mower would be or what to look for in one and I would be afraid of what I was getting in a private sale. Also I would have no way to get it home and the shiny and new factor is fun too. I would consider a used, last year's model, or scratch and dent mower from a dealer but all the ones I've gone to so far only have new mowers on display unfortunately for me and my wallet.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

A quality 10 year old riding mower that has been taken care of is better than what you will get new for $1700. Do you know anyone that mechanically inclined that could look at a used one with you?

Tractor
    Husqvarna YT46LS

Unfortunately no, we moved to the area a few months ago and don't really know many people yet.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

A few years ago I bought a 14 year old John Deere LX176 from my local John Deere dealer for $650 for my 1/2 acre yard. I was able to buy a new mulchig kit for it from them as well, although I had to order it through the sales department. Now, at 20 years old, it is still running fine and looks like new. I would recommend you go to dealers for the major brands, look at what they have available, get a feel for the dealer and how they treat you as well as the machines, sit on the machines and try them out to find out what you like or don't like. I had looked at all the dealers around here, and the John Deere dealer was the only one who could really help me. I still have a good relationship with my salesman, even though I did not buy my tractor from him for my new property.

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Thanks again,
    Dave
    I believe they are basically the same machines......good products for the price. I believe some Craftsman riders are made by Husqvarna....
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Tractor
    ex450

If you like your dealer go with him. If you do have a problem, all the chain store will do is send you to a dealer anyway. The dealer is there for service and support. Personally, I don't care what brand you buy, because no matter who you are or what color you drive, either you'll do something wrong or the equipment will go wrong. It's who has the best service, not product. What kind of warranty do those mowers come with?

Tractor
    Husqvarna YT46LS

Yes I definitely want to stay away from chain stores. I've found 2 dealers locally that I like, one very close, 1 a little further away. The waranty on the model I'm seriously considering (Husqvarna YT46LS) is 3 years everything, 5 years drivetrain, 10 years for the deck.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Yes I definitely want to stay away from chain stores. I've found 2 dealers locally that I like, one very close, 1 a little further away. The waranty on the model I'm seriously considering (Husqvarna YT46LS) is 3 years everything, 5 years drivetrain, 10 years for the deck.
    On the Husky site that mower is $2200 msrp, I'd say your doing well at $1700 and that warranty.

Foster Center, RI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast