Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Default Re: Used John Deere purchase - hours question.

UURRR! The short version is I lost the tractor to another buyer.

Is this messed up? I call a John Deere dealership, about 5 minutes away from the seller, I live about 2 hours away from the seller. I talk to the owner of the dealership, tell him my situation and he says that's a great deal, but don't worry, I'm not in the market for that kind of tractor. He also agrees he'd help me out (meet me out at the sellers ranch to inspect) for a small fee. I call the seller and fill him in and we set up a time for the next day. The seller calls me back two hours later and tells me a guy came in and picked it up on the spot for his asking price...

Granted, it could have happened but I can't help and think this dealer is involved...

On to the next one!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

The good thing is there are more out there.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    What is so funny about that short throw? You jd owners pride yourself on going to the overpriced dealers for work, they don't give receipts?
    Who in their right mind is going to pay 80-100 an hour for routine maintenance work? Now if you have a major problem or need something technical sure. Otherwise Im in the do my own maintenance work and save the hourly rate group. No-one records when they grease the bushings/wear points either. just my $.02
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40

Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    Who in their right mind is going to pay 80-100 an hour for routine maintenance work? Now if you have a major problem or need something technical sure. Otherwise Im in the do my own maintenance work and save the hourly rate group. No-one records when they grease the bushings/wear points either. just my $.02
    I keep track of all maintenance and record it. Each machine gets a book.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    I keep track of all maintenance and record it. Each machine gets a book.
    I'm with you Murph. Easier to remember things when all maintenance items are written down in the book.
    Rick

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I suspect there are lots of people who take care of their equipment but don't have a book filled in with all the details. Plus the fact that anyone could make a fake book for a good or problematic machine to make it look as it had excellent maintenance. I feel better buying based on overall condition that I can see.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

I put a lot of faith in my meeting with the last owner. I bought a JD 2030 from a guy 30 miles away in 2001 - it was then 28 years old with 2,100 hours. But the guy really knew his tractors and, in conversation, it turned out he had been a JD mechanic for years. The tractor was rust-free and worn where you would expect, and not worn in any unusual ways. Getting a JD mechanic to check things out is awfully expensive and takes scheduling. I have found a local farmer who has multiple JDs and years of experience is actually a better bet, and enjoys the experience... Although I usually buy him a meal.

BTW, I kept the2030 for 10 years - with only one mechanical issue and that fixed quickly - and sold it for just under what I paid for it. Got a JD CUT that is easier for my old legs to get me up on.

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    I suspect there are lots of people who take care of their equipment but don't have a book filled in with all the details. Plus the fact that anyone could make a fake book for a good or problematic machine to make it look as it had excellent maintenance. I feel better buying based on overall condition that I can see.
    That reminds me of a friend that looked at a dog that had papers. A day or so later he called the owner , and asked him if he still had the dog. Yes, he still had the dog, but he had sold the papers.
    A book would be nice, but the condition would need to match.

Bill

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3032E

if you get another deal like that I would grab it
    you were worried about how many hours it had on it but you were going to put more than that on it
    300 hrs/yr x 8 2400 hrs.
    hrs shows you it has been use not sitting in a barn
    look over for leaks, drive it around and see if it works like it should, see if all the fluids look good not burned or discolored
    then make your decision

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Septemberwheat View Post
    UURRR! The short version is I lost the tractor to another buyer.

Is this messed up? I call a John Deere dealership, about 5 minutes away from the seller, I live about 2 hours away from the seller. I talk to the owner of the dealership, tell him my situation and he says that's a great deal, but don't worry, I'm not in the market for that kind of tractor. He also agrees he'd help me out (meet me out at the sellers ranch to inspect) for a small fee. I call the seller and fill him in and we set up a time for the next day. The seller calls me back two hours later and tells me a guy came in and picked it up on the spot for his asking price...

Granted, it could have happened but I can't help and think this dealer is involved...

On to the next one!

Thanks for all your help guys!

If it was a good deal someone else might have recognized it and bought it quickly. Lots of guys here have had this happen, when you find the right tractor for the right price you need to act.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast