Used John Deere purchase - hours question.

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #1  

Septemberwheat

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5420
Hi Guys,
So I'm in the market for a used John Deere 4000 series tractor and I've found one that fits my needs, the price is really good, BUT it has 1,700 hours on it. I'm a little concerned about the number of hours on the machine. The seller is the second owner. First owner put on 600 hours, the current owner (seller) put on 1,100. It's a 2005/06, he says that the bulk of the hours are in shredding work. Small loader hours and maybe 2 hours a year in backhoe work. He also says he's maintained it (didn't ask for proof, should I?), and it looks pretty good. The work he's done has been on his 70 acre hunting ranch, he now has a new purchase of 40 acres that he needs a bat wing for so he needs a bigger tractor, which is why he's selling.
So I really like the 4000 series tractor, it fits my needs. The tractor looks good (no major rust, starts up, sounds great, etc..), my only concern is the hours. Is this something of an issue? I see guys using tractors into the 10,000 hour range, and they keep on truckin'.
My use would probably be 200 - 300 hours per year, give or take.
Any thoughts are appreciated!
Best,
Matt
Also, When I'm test driving the tractor, what should I look focus on? I know the clutch can be expensive to replace, how do i tell if it'll need to be replaced soon? What else do I look for?
Thx.

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #2  
Welcome to TBN, Septemberwheat. If it's an '05-'06 model it's got the PowerReverser or eHydro transmission. The PR tranny has a hydraulic clutch - wet clutch. Very long lasting and durable to hard use. The eHydro transmission is a hydraulic system similar to a construction loader or dozer. Very durable transmission and it does not have a clutch.

1,700 hours is not something I'd be concerned about. The JD engine and transmission and running gear should be relatively trouble-free for a number of thousands of hours. Like their bigger iron brothers - I wouldn't be too worried until there's 5,000 on the meter.

Standard protocol for buying used equipment. Leaks, smoke, welds, bends, grinds, wobble-play, and correct functioning. Look for anything that's outside of normal, expected wear. Anything that's excessive or questionable will likely cost you extra time and money to replace or repair.

AKfish

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #3  
I would ask for receipts foe maintenance work.

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #4  
Matt, Welcome to TBN

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question.
Guys, thanks for the warm welcome. Thanks for the great information so far.
Yes, it's the PowerReverser transmission.
So I have another question, would it be silly of me to approach the seller and say we have a deal if I can get it checked out by a john deere mechanic. I haven't called anyone yet, but does this happen often? Pay a tractor mechanic some money ($150??) to look it over and get some feedback? What would put me at ease is if someone with a better eye than me for tractors (btw. I have no eye) would say. Yes, 1,700 hours isn't anything to worry about, tractor looks solid, no major issues, just standard wear and tear, keep an eye on x,y, and z, and you'll be good for 3,000 more hours. AK, too bad your so far away, I'd just bring you along! All the best guys and thanks again for the help.
If I buy it, I'll post pictures.
Best,
Matt

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #7  
That would be normal around here for a major purchase.......hiring a mechanic, that is.

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #8  
:welcome: to TBN! Having a mechanic come along would be great as they would be able to diagnose any problem that may arise, plus their expertise will make sure you are getting a good solid machine. The engine in that tractor is known to be solid, they also use it in Deere skid steers and compact track loaders. :thumbsup:

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #9  
I think having a good mechanic check out the tractor is a good idea. Nothing wrong with that approach and is something most of us recommend whether you are an experienced buyer or not. I have done this a few times and it has saved me money on one occasion years ago when considering a backhoe.

/ Used John Deere purchase - hours question. #10  
:laughing:

What is so funny about that short throw? You jd owners pride yourself on going to the overpriced dealers for work, they don't give receipts?