Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616?

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #1  

LindenBruce

Gold Member
Tractor
Husky GT2654, Branson 4520TLB
Hello all,

I just joined the forum and this is my first post. I have been browsing the forums off and on for several years now. I have learned a lot just by reading what you all have posted. Thanks. I am finally being serious about buying a tractor. I am looking for a middle weight in the compact market. The family has 8+ acres of pasture with a small garden and landscaping trees with fencing etc. in the foot hills east of Stockton Ca. So I have need for a box scraper, an auger, a FEL, and maybe a backhoe and a rear tiller unit down the road in the future. Part of the plan is to put this unit to work part time doing mowing, post/tree holes, fences and maybe a little grading, trenching or mowing fire breaks as well.

So, here are the two deals.

Deal one is a used 2010 CT235 HST with new battery recent service with filter changes and 500+ hours on the meter. With front loader, 6' box scraper and auger the deal is right around $16,200 give or take a couple of dollars. So I'm sure this tractor doesn't have any warranty left but that is not confirmed. I don't know what Bobcat does in the way of transferring warranties on used equipment. I have read some of the reviews on this tractor and they are mostly good. The implements will be new, only the tractor will be used. It's a harvest rental return and they have a ton of them. No independent price listing available for the tractor, but their website lists these used tractors starting at $10,500. With financing I'll pay about $1100 in interest over the life of the loan. Dealer is local.

Deal two is a new Mah 3616 Synchro Shuttle, FEL, auger, box 6' scraper, PLUS a 16' Big Tex CH60-16 trailer also new, for right at $28,500. The trailer is selling for $2150 plus tax and stuff. Without the trailer the deal is right at $25,766. So about $9000 more that the used unit. I have read reviews on this tractor as well and those seem to be pretty positive. The tractor itself is listed as $21,500. With financing I'll pay zero over the life of the loan. The dealer is in So-Cal, but there are dealers in the area here.

The trailer is a plus when I get around to putting the unit to work. I will need to buy one some day anyway. So I guess, is the $9000 difference between used and new and brands a deal breaker with either deal? I really like the Mahindra. Both tractors already have full hydraulics in the rear so no future expense there. Opinions, thoughts, comments? Thanks, Bruce

Last edited:
   / Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #2  
For $21,500 you can get a fair amount more tractor than the 3616 buying new. Bobcat is out of the tractor business, so you'll have to rely on Kioti service/support in the very near future (fellow Daedong product).

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #3  
I don't think either of those deals is particularly good. The Mahindra in particular seems very much over priced... without doing specific research, I'd say that price is $5k or so too high. Maybe someone with more knowledge can correct me, but it's definitely high.

Be patient, keep doing your research. There are good deals to be had.

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #5  
That's not what Bobcat says.

Well, their website also still lists the top news article as "Bobcat compact tractor line makes debut"....

It's possible that they'll still order parts for you in the future, but I doubt they're going to stock parts for something they no longer sell.

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616?
Thanks for the input guys keep it coming. What part of the deal is to high? The cost of the tractor? I believe Mahindra lists the tractor alone at $18,500 MSRP. I just did a quick search and FEL's appear to be starting right around $3000 dollars. And I just had another dealer list me a price of $21,125 tractor and FEL. So both dealers are close in pricing.

So what tractor could I get more of for the same price GManBart? My local BobCat dealer has been around for a very long time. I don't think getting parts for the CT235 would be a problem. While the used tractor comes at a very attractive price, if I will have a costly failure with no warranty the used priced tractor doesn't pay for itself at all. I also just talked to the dealer and was told only a 90 day warranty through them. No factory warranty left.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #7  
It's possible I'm steering you wrong re: the Mahindra price. However, 18.5k is msrp for the tractor, and 3k is retail for the loader, that suggests a retail of 21.5. You should be able to get 15% or so off for an out-the-door price, which would put in you in the $18k range for tractor and loader. Maybe someone who's actually bought one of these recently could chime in, or maybe do a search on the Mahindra forum, if you haven't already. Wait a sec... I'll do it for you:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/234640-3535-vs-3616-one-2.html#post2721812

According to this recent quote, you should be under $18k, although of course there are regional variations.

I also think the 'cat is priced too high, especially since it's an orphan machine (although you'll probably have no problem with parts) with no warranty. If I were in your shoes, I'd consider shopping the private used market for a while.

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #8  
Thanks for the input guys keep it coming. What part of the deal is to high? The cost of the tractor? I believe Mahindra lists the tractor alone at $18,500 MSRP. I just did a quick search and FEL's appear to be starting right around $3000 dollars. And I just had another dealer list me a price of $21,125 tractor and FEL. So both dealers are close in pricing.

So what tractor could I get more of for the same price GManBart? My local BobCat dealer has been around for a very long time. I don't think getting parts for the CT235 would be a problem. While the used tractor comes at a very attractive price, if I will have a costly failure with no warranty the used priced tractor doesn't pay for itself at all. I also just talked to the dealer and was told only a 90 day warranty through them. No factory warranty left.

Bruce
In the LS forum GManBart just bought a new LS 4047 with FEL for $21,500. Check out the LS tractor forum here on TBN for other great deals on these tractors and they have 2 year bumper to bumper warrant and a 5 year powertrain warranty. Bart said he saved $4300 over the cost of the same tractor (Boomer 50) from New Holland. Boomer 50 is made by LS and is identical to the LS 4047.

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #9  
So what tractor could I get more of for the same price GManBart? My local BobCat dealer has been around for a very long time. I don't think getting parts for the CT235 would be a problem.

For around the same price you could get a Kioti DK40SE Hydro, or an LS R4047H (also hydro)....41hp and 47hp respectively. Both machines have more power, are bigger, heavier, have loaders than can lift about 1,000lbs more, and are hydro versus gear transmissions. There's nothing wrong with a gear transmission, but if you do much loader work, it's a huge difference (IMO).

I don't think long-term parts availability is going to be a big problem with Bobcat tractors, but I suspect eventually it'll be easier/faster to just get parts from a Kioti dealer since they're essentially identical machines.

/ Which is the better deal? Used CT235 or new Mah 3616? #10  
In the LS forum GManBart just bought a new LS 4047 with FEL for $21,500. Check out the LS tractor forum here on TBN for other great deals on these tractors and they have 2 year bumper to bumper warrant and a 5 year powertrain warranty. Bart said he saved $4300 over the cost of the same tractor (Boomer 50) from New Holland. Boomer 50 is made by LS and is identical to the LS 4047.

Actually, it was a bigger price difference.....the Boomer 50 quote was just over $30K! I may have been able to haggle them down, but I can't imagine it would have closed the gap enough to make a difference.