Buying Advice Around 70 hp range

/ Around 70 hp range #1  

buck boost

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 4500 LB, M7040HD, B2920
Hi guys, new member here. I have been lurking around here for a while, and figured it's time to get the action. You guys here offer great advice.

I'm looking for a new or like new(ish) wheel machine for the farm. I have 60 acres under till, but that is leased to a farmer. I have water-way maintenance to perform (6' woods brush bull) and snow plowing (with bucket) and general lifting requirements (FEL). The new tractor will on occasion pull a three bottom 14" 3-point moldboard and good sized disc harrow(drawbar).

So far this is what I had in mind (in no particular order):
All 4x4, rear cast iron weights and FEL

• JD 5065E
  • NH Workmaster 75
  • Kubota M7040

Also looking for a draw bar, canopy, snow blade and aux rear hydraulic ports.

R4 tires are a must.

I'm currently still shopping for prices. A local NH dealer is currently the most economical.

There is not a 5065E or Workmaster anywhere nearby to look at. I stopped by a local kubota, and really liked the machines I saw, but no M7040.

I have reviewed the tractor specs throughly, but still not sure which one would fit my needs the best.

Any information the experiences and knowledge of TBN is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking more for info on build quality at a reasonable (to me) price.

P.S. I have some great dealers around in my area, so dealer service should not be an issue with any of the brands.

/ Around 70 hp range #2  
These threads usually turn into a recommendation for the tractor one owns. Unfortunately, I can offer no better. I have the M7040 and love the tractor, but I've never driven the other two so I can offer no comparison. I chose the M7040 because the last Kubota I bought - which was my first tractor by the way - was our L3130 purchased over ten years ago. During it's life the L3130 has never been stored inside a garage, it's sat outside in the weather, and I've been pretty rough on it (brush hogging trees and such). The tractor never skipped a beat until I tried to pull a tree out of the ground and blew the FEL curl cylinder seals (my fault entirely). With a service record like that my FIRST choice was Kubota. All I need to do at that point was find the model that fit my needs...

Our M7040 pulls an 8 ft 3-point disc harrow with ease. It can also pull a root plow that was designed for much larger tractors. I'd hesitate to say pulling the root plow is "easy" - but it did 4 acres and it's still running! As for snow - I have no idea on a plow... We don't get much of the white stuff down here. :)

/ Around 70 hp range #3  
SanDucerro is right... usually you will get inputs that lean to what the poster owns and has experience with.

I think all three of those tractors are great choices, to be honest. I would go sit on and drive each of them, and carefully inspect what one offers that the other doesn't. Because all three could handle the tasks that you're proposing here on a daily basis without blinking.

As far as finding one of the models above to purchase, you can always look further out of your rang on TractorHouse.com to see what's available nationwide, and in a radius that is closer to you. I know that here in TX, you can usually find all three of those models available for sale less than 250 miles from anywhere you are.

Good luck!

/ Around 70 hp range #4  
I will do like SanDucerro and recommend the 70HP tractor that I bought which is an LS P7010C (cab with stereo, heat and AC). It is a very strong running tractor that doesn't require 2500 RPM to produce its power. It has a 3 speed PTO box that will allow you to run 540 implements at 1400 RPM to save a lot of fuel. It still has plenty of power to run even a 7 foot shredder at that RPM. A few days ago, I hooked it to a blown over hollow tree that was still attached at the base to pull it over and loose from the stump. Even at 1200 RPM idle, in M range 1st gear it would spin all 4 tires. It is the best on fuel for that size tractor that I have ever seen @ 2 gallons per hour when running a shredder. LS tractors have a 5 year warranty for powertrain and 2 years bumper to bumper which covers everything on the tractor.
The best part is the price. I paid $35,500 for mine with FEL & Cab about 2 years ago and they can still be bought for that price. They are still keeping their prices down to gain market share and it is working. Lots of folks are finding them to be the best deal, the best quality and most comfortable tractor on the market. The only negative to them is that there may not be a dealer close by to you as the network is still in it infancy so to speak.
In case you haven't heard of LS Tractors, look them up on the internet and scroll way down on the TBN threads for the LS specific thread and read all about them from owners like me. They make tractors for NH in the boomer models, have made them for Case IH and others like Montana. What makes them such a bargain is that they come standard with items that are high priced options on other makes, including the Boomer models which are the same tractor. For instance one TBN member just bought a R4047 (50 Hp) model and saved $4300 over the price of the same Boomer 50 which is identical to the LS tractor because it is made by LS but with higher dealer markups.
I don't think you will find any other 70HP tractor with FEL and Cab for $35K anywhere.

/ Around 70 hp range #5  
Pretty much what San Ducerro and econometrics said, we tend to like what we have and it best met our needs; don't know much about the John Deere or Workmaster beyond good reputations. We looked at all and decided on Kubota, others will look and go in another direction. We love our Kubota and they love their tractors.

gocards1177 just went through a similar process and you might want to read his posts and PM him, I exchanged PM's with him during his decision process. He bought a John Deere 5083E for a variety of reasons one of which is the availability of a buddy or instructor seat.

/ Around 70 hp range
Thanks guys for all the responses. It looks like I have more research to do. As of right now, the bota is in the lead.

/ Around 70 hp range #7  
Why are R-4's a must? For ground engaging work R-1's are so much better it isn't even funny. If your insisting on going with R-4's you will either need to go larger with the tractor or go with smaller tillage implements as the R-4's will slip easier and spin out.

The NH Workmaster has telescopic stabilizers and links for the 3pt making hooking up 3pt implements very easy. It also comes with a single set of rear remotes standard which for running a disc or any trailed hydrualic implement it is a must. Tractor is laid out nice (in my opinion) and is very reasonable price wise. Case-IH has the Farmall 75A which is the Workmaster 75's twin with red clothes. So if you like that particular tractor you do have a choice between dealers and paint and the prices will vary as well. Will help you by giving you another option without needing to do any additional research.

I do not know of any modern tractors that do not have a drawbar standard on the tractor. Are you refering to a drawbar for the 3pt lift arms?