Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Default Re: BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing

Quote Originally Posted by CLeman View Post
    We'll have to work on training the kids to leave the racing for the iPods :-)

Comparing the BX-70 series with the BX-60, I don't care for what they did with the ROPS. Yes it's foldable but it's wider and taller when it's there. And the choice of fold point seems a bit strange. It's so low that if you fold it you're not left with any protection at all. It might as well be off.

If we decide to buy new it will be the Kioti.

Can anyone comment on life expectancy for the BX2360? The used unit we're considering has I think 480 hrs on it. Is that 25% life? 10%? How long until major components start failing?
    A couple of comments:
    ROPS: Curious why a wider/taller one would be objectionable. Wouldn't that afford better protection and more room for the operator? Also, any partially deployed ROPS gives little protection and may actually add to the risk of injury. Sorry to sound "preachy", but getting the ROPS deployed fully is an important habit to establish, especially if you're teaching your offspring to operate.

BX life expectancy: Hard to say. The BX's didn't come out 'til about 2000; there are still many early 'Bota's from the 1980's going strong. The major components are comparable to the earlier models, so their life expectancies should be similar. Of course anything can be brought to an early demise with enough abuse, so due caution is always needed with used equipment. Our BX is at 800 hours, has given zero problems over 8 years and operates as new. With proper care, there's no reason one couldn't last for much more than that.

Sickle mower: Don't know if you're going to find one to fit one of these little tractors. Even if you did, I'd be concerned with how close it would be to the operator in the raised position. Would a rotary cutter (probably 48") work?

The kubota would probably hold its value better over time, but either brand should make a good unit for your needs.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Thanks for the input, Grandad4

I'm very happy with the ROPS on the BX-60 series. I think they got it right. As you mentioned, mowing with the ROPS not fully deployed is a concern. What I like about the old style is the fact that it will fit under more trees without catching on low hanging limbs etc. The new one is taller, wider, bigger and will cause more issues with this sort of thing, I am sure. Making it more tempting to remove it completely... If I don't miss my guess, it's government agencies that are forcing kubota to go bigger with the ROPS, not realizing that they're actually hurting their cause.

The BX reputation for reliability is top-notch. Your story adds one more happy customer Reading back over my post shows how opinions can change "If we decide to buy new it will be the Kioti." Thanks to the advice on this forum to try out the machines. I'm glad I did, although I want to say again the Kioti is a fine machine.

I'm very green on mowing hay. First I have to find out how much of my 2 acre pasture two cows leave untouched. May be I won't have anything left for hay. But if I do, I'll try to get some advice from all the fine folks on TBN on how to get it done! I already have some ideas about using my loader to rake the windrows instead of baling it... Can't wait!!

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

You can put a 48 inch sickle mower on the BX. On the MMM mower - it shouldn't be making noise - at least it doesnt make much for mine. Do you just slide the lever to full on or do you use the feathering approach? When I am using a heavy inertia PTO like MMM, bush hog, etc, I feather it in. The feathering is hold the pto engagement roughly two fingers or less away from full engagement and wait for things to start turning. Once its turning - I can go full on. The engine doesnt lug this way and hardly makes noise. With my pto tiller - I rarely feather it in as there seems to be little resistance to starting nor engine lugging.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

I think you are going to like the BX. They seem to be standing the test of time. 1000 hour 10 year old BX's with FEL are still going for 9 or 10K. I think that says something about the durability.

In my mind the ROPS is there to keep you from being crushed. Most rollovers will stop with the tractor on its side. What good is the additional height even if you do go 180? Maybe if one rolls over onto a rock. Far better to have a ROPS that is fixed and always there.

Making them wider I can see. It may keep the operator from getting crushed under the ROPS.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020

A little while back a member had a thread about using a sickle mower on his BX, and actually went with a 5 footer. In his video it seemed to work pretty well...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ckle-bx25.html

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

We just slid the lever full on to start the mower. The feathering is a good idea which I will try.

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    I think you are going to like the BX. They seem to be standing the test of time. 1000 hour 10 year old BX's with FEL are still going for 9 or 10K. I think that says something about the durability.

In my mind the ROPS is there to keep you from being crushed. Most rollovers will stop with the tractor on its side. What good is the additional height even if you do go 180? Maybe if one rolls over onto a rock. Far better to have a ROPS that is fixed and always there.

Making them wider I can see. It may keep the operator from getting crushed under the ROPS.
    The ROPS is actually supposed to stop the tractor from rolling all the way over. It's tall so that the tractor stays on it's side. I'm going to guess that there's some math put into designing the height, after all, less steel = more profit for that type of part.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

More height on the ROPS may be so that they use the same ROPS for machines with backhoes to give the operator a little more headroom when running the backhoe.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    More height on the ROPS may be so that they use the same ROPS for machines with backhoes to give the operator a little more headroom when running the backhoe.

Aaron Z
    If there is a logical reason I would say that this is it.
    Last edited by 3v0; 04-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I wonder if anyone thought about what happens when the operator drives under a tree, the high ROPS catches a limb, the tires keep on a-drivin', and the tractor flips backwards. Sort of like how Absolom met his end...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast