Buying Advice BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing #1  

CLeman

Tractor
Kubota BX2360
We're looking to buy a SCUT and we've decided on one of the orange brands, mostly because of reputation / performance but also because they have the best dealers in our area. We're moving in July to a property in central Illinois with 6-7 acres, about 1/2 of that is lawn. Part of that lawn is across a creek that we get to by driving down a roadbank, so a ZTR is out of the question for mowing. My boys, age 13 and 12 will be doing most of the mowing. We also plan to have a couple head of beef cattle on pasture and do a fair amount of vegetable gardening. So a hay mower, tiller, and possibly snow blower would be future investments for this tractor.

We really like the CS2410, outfitted with 60mmm, FEL, and turf tires comes to around $15k. Right now Kioti is offering a free fifth year powertrain warranty and 0% financing. Looks like a pretty sweet deal. The other option is $2k cash back which might make sense to buy outright.

The other option I came across is a used BX2360, 2010, around 400+ hours to be had for around $10k. On the downside, there is no warranty left on the unit, and it has R4s which I'm concerend will tear up our lawn with the boys doing the driving :)

Are there any major performance or feature differences I should be looking at between these models? I noticed the BX has a tighter turn radius which would be nice for mowing. How important is the warranty? Should I be worried about the R4s on the lawn? The Kubota dealer said that turf tires are worthless when using the FEL, so I could keep the R4s and always buy the turfs in the future if need be.

Thanks in advance, I always enjoy everyone's thoughts on TBN!

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing #2  
:welcome: to the forum.

One thing I am not sure about on the Kioti is if it is a limited Cat 1 3 point hitch or a Cat 1 3 point hitch. The website says it is a Cat 1 but I don't know if that is right. A limited Cat 1 3PH does not lift as high as a Cat 1. You can buy equipment to make hay with a SCUT but it is costly. You would be best off to get someone to make it for you. I have R4's on my BX and I use it to mow on steep hills and it does not hurt the grass plus I have traction when I need to use it as a tractor. Did you price a new BX? The Kioti was also sold under New Holland as a T1030, it was made by Shibauru but I think they sold their stuff to Kioit. The warranty is only important if you need it. Buying a used machine you really don't know how well it was taken care of. See what tractor feels the best to you.

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing
Thanks, Roger

We did already have someone seed the two acre pasture (was a bean field last year) with pasture mix, including alfalfa. I was dreaming about taking a sickle mower over what the cows don't eat once in a while to put up a little hay. But first we have to see if the cows leave anything! We have another acre we're going to have planted with field corn. We're hoping to put that up in our corn crib to supplement the pasture.

TractorData.com says the NH version is Cat 1 - that would be one thing I could check out in person.

Good to hear your experience with the R4s. I'm thinking about getting back up that road bank - we might need the R4s for that come to think of it.

A new BX similarly equipped is very comparable to the Kioti, around $15k, only not as good of a warranty or cash back option.

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing #4  
I had the Bar tires on my BX 1850 and did not have any problems with lawn damage even with a load of dirt in the FEL. The tires on the BX are wide so unless your kids are cornering at high speeds or doing very quick speed changes I doubt you will have any issues with the R4's. Never been around a Kioti so can't comment on them.

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing #5  
As you appear to be new to all of this a new tractor with a good dealer close by would probably be your best bet. Nothing is more frustrating than being down when you want to be doing something with the tractor. That said, it may be better to buy a good used machine that is larger and less money. If the Kubota was purchased locally and was well maintained. Is the used one on a dealer's lot or is it a private sale? If it is on the dealer's lot see if he will give you a 90 day warranty or something similar. If it is in good shape he might do that to close the sale.

We'll have to work on training the kids to leave the racing for the iPods :)

Comparing the BX-70 series with the BX-60, I don't care for what they did with the ROPS. Yes it's foldable but it's wider and taller when it's there. And the choice of fold point seems a bit strange. It's so low that if you fold it you're not left with any protection at all. It might as well be off.

If we decide to buy new it will be the Kioti.

Can anyone comment on life expectancy for the BX2360? The used unit we're considering has I think 480 hrs on it. Is that 25% life? 10%? How long until major components start failing?

Thanks for the advice, KYDan. I like the idea of a 90 day warranty, that way he stands behind what he's telling me. Yes it is on a dealer lot about 40 minutes from our new home. He's not the closest Kubota dealer, but the one 20 minutes away is into big ag and didn't even return my inquiries by email and phone. I think I'll steer clear of them...

The Kioti dealer is also about 45 minutes away.

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing #8  
I cannot comment about the BX series life, but my first Kubota was a L2900 that I used for 15 years, and it was in great shape when I sold it for about 50% of what I paid for it. It had 1540 hours on it when I sold it and as far as I know it is still performing flawlessly and that was 2 years ago. There are the odd issues on occasion with Kubotas, but for the most part they are well-built, high quality machines, sort of the industry standard for compact and subcompact tractors.

Firm pricing on the BX2360 which is still available new:
$12,800 with 60"mmm and FEL with cash discount

Still waiting on warranty info.

/ BX2360 vs CS2410 for 60% mowing #10  
Good luck with whatever you decide. The R4's are not too hard on lawns, I have them on my MX and drive it on a turf runway and it does not cleat or compact too badly. The don't have the traction of the Ag tires, but they have a whole lot more than the turf tires.