Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #91  
I think this is in the top ten of my favorite post ever on TBN. I would gladly give your dealership a look if you were close by.

Yeah, with a disposition like that, it'd be a pleasure to do business there. The Vermeer dealer I do business with are friendly people like that.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #92  
I love people that run their business like this dealer, because it make soo much more money for the GOOD dealers. Every industry has bad business people and I love it. I had a good customer that thought they would see what's out there as far as my competition. They got a better price from my competition, but soon came crawling back to me. After a long talk, then buying me lunch and apologizing they explained how bad they have been treated by my competition and never appreciated the things I did - the little things. So that why I love business that are run by Jerks, because there is another company out there reaping the benefits.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #93  
After seeing equipment ruined by child minded adults and their children running wild without supervision. There should be an electric fence around displayed equipment.
Some ways I have to agree , when I was a kid and my dad took me and or my siblings we always got the ( don't touch, don't speak unless spoken to and definetly don't sit on or touch a new machine -tractor, motorcycle or car unless asked and then to politely refuse, unless told by him it was ok..

He also would make us check our pockets (no combs pens or pencils) then he would check...to make sure ... Some times I think my dad was a little strict.

But when I see someone with a bunch of kids, running around in a dealership and handling everything they can touch- and see The parent isn't paying attention to at least 2 of them at any given time, I cringe a little bit and can feel the blood pressure spiking.. That being said, Most of the time have witnessed well behaved children, but if the dealer and parent doesn't tell the kids it's alright, then they shouldn't be climbing all over a 20k,$+ machine

One more thing when I do see an adult and their well behaved child(ren) and I see that wonder in their expression looking at that new machine, just like I had when I was that age, it gives me hope for the future of farming and for America itself...

Last edited:
   / Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #94  
Not meant to be argumentative...

I know a family with toddler that was injured by a falling bike at a Dealership. I consider tractors with implements pinned or in the down position safer.

Of course a child could be hurt at a motorcycle dealer, but they can be hurt almost anywhere they go. That doesn't change the overall potential for injury at a place like a tractor dealer where there are large, heavy items, that move, and have things like implements, etc, etc.

I've seen lots of tractors on display with buckets up in the air...pretty common, but pretty risky when you think about it. I doubt most dealers do anything to secure implements in the down position, but it's certainly a great idea.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't ban kids from my lot if I was a tractor dealer, but I would try to put some measures in place to keep kids safe...starting with educating all the employees.

People forget how comparatively dangerous tractors are to things like cars (discounting crash statistics). Just the other day my neighbor stopped by while I was running my tractor (he has five tractors, a dump truck, three forklifts, so he's familiar with them). I lowered the bucket, and shut down the engine, because we usually chat for a while. He had his hand on the loader arm, fairly close to one of the pivot points. It occurred to me that if the bucket wasn't all the way down, and if he accidentally had his hand on that pivot point, downward movement could mean loss of fingers....and that was just a loader control bump away. :eek: You just don't find things like that with most consumer goods these days.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #95  
Now, I recognize the liability issues, and some children are destructive, and tractors have some inherent dangers, but I also remember the hours of fun I used to have playing on my dads tractor when I was just a little one. Hours of clutching, gear shifting and make believe steering. (it was parked on level ground, thank goodness) As I got older, I learned how to actually drive it. I sure had a lot of fun "tractor dreaming" on that old machine.

James K0UA

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #96  
I put quite a few hours on a new JD 4020 just sitting in the shed . It's a wonder Ididn't wear the linkage out on that synchro - range .

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #97  
I've seen lots of tractors on display with buckets up in the air...pretty common, but pretty risky when you think about it. I doubt most dealers do anything to secure implements in the down position, but it's certainly a great idea.
The local dealerships dont display tractors with the buckets up, but they do at Empire Farm Days. There if you have anything in the air you are required to have a mechanical lock to keep the bucket.
IMO, if you have anything in the air at a dealership it should have a mechanical lock keeping it up.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #98  
Lol at all the guys saying they are going to stop at the family friendly dealer guys shop. Nothing like blowing smoke up the guys arse like your all in the market for a tractor now all the sudden.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #99  
Lol at all the guys saying they are going to stop at the family friendly dealer guys shop. Nothing like blowing smoke up the guys arse like your all in the market for a tractor now all the sudden.

No kidding. Every bear is out protecting his perfect cubs too.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #100  

I've never seen tractors at a dealer with their buckets in the air. What a safety violation! However, you can get cylinder locks that prevent the bucket from lowering even if hydraulics fail, and that would be a different story. I don't see why you'd need to secure implements in the down position, since they're not going anywhere without the key.