Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #121  
first of all, it's clear we all want to deal with pleasant, accommodating dealerships.
My local JD dealer did not have the time of day for me. Calls left, not returned, and I was interested
in a new 4720. A very surprising experience, and utterly opposite from the local Kubota dealer, that
was marvelous, attentive, friendly, and promptly returned phone calls and emails.

The dealer is a known quantity; the public entering his lot sure is not. Huge investment out there and he sure
doesn't want some angry kid keying his tractors while walking by.
I owned a retail electronics business in my home town for five years. Bought a small business and made it eight times larger by
changing the traditional Radio Shack into an adult toy store. We sold an enormous number of phones, and Mom would come in with two kids trailing, maybe one in her arms. What kid doesn't want to talk into a telephone?
so I got smart, I rearranged everything as best as I could to make it kid friendly, and less likely to be damaged.
The fragile items and attractive nuisances were put an extra shelf higher, so maybe an eight year old could reach.
But not the three year olds who would pick up the phone and bang the handle against the easily scratched plastic.
A one hundred dollar phone is now worth fifty bucks. Luckily most tractor stuff is much more durable.

Maybe it's because I live in what is no longer farmland and is now suburbia, but so many parents seemed utterly oblivious
as to what their kids are doing. I had to have my staff follow the kids around and we had a code word for kids to watch.

What I really love... is to see kids grab a handful of parts out of one bin and put them back in another. What a hassle.
And very few parents would take the time to clean up or fix up after their kids had knocked things about. The problem, as I think we all know, is usually the parent's lack of attention or simply not caring about the store. It's me first and kids will be kids. Very self centered behavior.

I had a toy section at Christmas, science project stuff, r/c everything, and I had one basically indestructible 4x4 truck that I let the kids play with, after setting it (I glued the switch!) on slow speed. It ran a long time until I sold the store and took it up to the mountains for
moving target practice. Boy what fun. But if kids come in your door, you have to watch them, keep them occupied or interested, or if you are lucky, they will walk quietly by the parents. Right. Some did, and I always praised the parents as to how well behaved their kids were.
Always got a big smile in return. Can't really yell at the "bad" parents/kids, but when the parents weren't looking, I had perfected a pretty good scowl that usually sent little miscreants to their mommies. But normally a happy family, including kids, is a buying customer. If you deal with the public, you just have to be a little flexible, and assume some minor damage is going to occur.

have you ever watched what a mess people, including kids, make in Walmart or other discount places. I watched one mother trash an entire aisle of jeans, pulling and pushing, and never did buy anything. Oh, please come back again, soon...

FarmGirl, you could not have said it better. I hope our young member learns from this. We all had to...

Last edited:
   / Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #122  
Anybody ever seen scratches and gouges in paint after kids slide their clothing domes and zippers over anything and everything?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #123  
Anybody ever seen scratches and gouges in paint after kids slide their clothing domes and zippers over anything and everything?

It really bothers me not doing so but after two bad experiences with kid's charity car washes, I had to stop. Though the regular car wash is hard on the car too, but the girls who were washing were wearing a ton of jewelry, belts, who knows what, and of course rubbing up against the car.
I had to get the polishing compound out for the last one, and then I stopped going. C'mon parents, tell your kids to take their watches, rings, bangles, etc. etc. OFF before doing their car wash thing. They can accessorize afterwards...

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #124  
I don't own a tractor dealership, but if I did I don't think I would allow small children to have free run to play with the equipment. If the parent thought it was so nice and entertaining to have the kids play with the equipment, buy the kid one to destroy. What happens when the kid falls and receive a compound fracture.

I am sure the parent facing thousands in medical expenses is going to say, aw thats alright.

I just had an annual sit down with my insurance agent. He advised carrying an additional umbrella policy because of the high number of civil suits being filed over the smallest incident and the large jury awards.

I am sure equipment dealers are faced with how to remain competitive, keep cost low and stay in business. Inviting lawsuits from letting small children play on equipment is in my opinion a quick way to be a former equipment dealer.

There is no doubt in my feeble mind if a kid gets injured while playing on a tractor, someone is going to get SUED, big time.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #125  
I don't own a tractor dealership, but if I did I don't think I would allow small children to have free run to play with the equipment. If the parent thought it was so nice and entertaining to have the kids play with the equipment, buy the kid one to destroy. What happens when the kid falls and receive a compound fracture.

I am sure the parent facing thousands in medical expenses is going to say, aw thats alright.

I just had an annual sit down with my insurance agent. He advised carrying an additional umbrella policy because of the high number of civil suits being filed over the smallest incident and the large jury awards.

I am sure equipment dealers are faced with how to remain competitive, keep cost low and stay in business. Inviting lawsuits from letting small children play on equipment is in my opinion a quick way to be a former equipment dealer.

There is no doubt in my feeble mind if a kid gets injured while playing on a tractor, someone is going to get SUED, big time.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #126  
The lack of discipline today can be partially to blame for this. I see kids at stores tugging on things that are dangerous while the parents don;t show a care in the world. Then when somthing falls and cracks their head, the store is responsible, not the parent. Its the world we have made as a whole. But you **should** be allowed to look without a salesman, this is not accaptable in any way.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #127  
Lots of view points here.

I don't agree with the idea that if an equipment dealer is not child friendly, then they don't deserve one's business. If you step back and consider the logic of that, well, there isn't any.

If a business person is truly happy to have kids around and takes a relaxed and friendly attitude toward that, fine. There are folks who just aren't built that way though, and that should be fine too. People are different and they all have strengths and weaknesses. You are there to buy a piece of equipment, not to seek social acceptance for your children.

It's not a bad lesson for kids to learn either, to be confronted with a situation where the sun doesn't rise and set upon their cherubic little heads. There are situations where a child should learn to exist quietly by their parent's side. We talk about the over indulgence of parents, this may be an example of that.

I'm pretty sure I would have a hard time trying to pretend I like kids running loose if I had a tractor dealership. I guess it's a good thing I don't have to sell anything to anybody.

I'll stick with my original answer, courtesy means you should ask.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #128  
What I find interesting is how polarizing this issue is.

I do not know when it happened but how we treat kids and the freedoms they enjoyed changed sometime in the past 50 years.

Even the attempt to identify what that new attitude is causes grief. But it has changed, and its real.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #129  
Lots of view points here.

I don't agree with the idea that if an equipment dealer is not child friendly, then they don't deserve one's business. If you step back and consider the logic of that, well, there isn't any.

If a business person is truly happy to have kids around and takes a relaxed and friendly attitude toward that, fine. There are folks who just aren't built that way though, and that should be fine too. People are different and they all have strengths and weaknesses. You are there to buy a piece of equipment, not to seek social acceptance for your children.

It's not a bad lesson for kids to learn either, to be confronted with a situation where the sun doesn't rise and set upon their cherubic little heads. There are situations where a child should learn to exist quietly by their parent's side. We talk about the over indulgence of parents, this may be an example of that.

I'm pretty sure I would have a hard time trying to pretend I like kids running loose if I had a tractor dealership. I guess it's a good thing I don't have to sell anything to anybody.

I'll stick with my original answer, courtesy means you should ask.

I want to start by saying I agree with you about they should be well behaved and stay by their parents. Now for what I don't agree with. I am aiming for a learning experience. A farm kid needs to be involved at a very early age if they are going to be a contributing member of the family farm. They only have so many chances of being involved in the purchasing process. How much equipment does a typical family farm buy before the kid is 18. I think you would be surprised how well behaved most farm kids are if they are actively participating in farming. Again I think you miss the point of my previous post. If the kids are misbehaving you ask the parents to control their child. If they continue to misbehave you ask the family politely to leave. If I was at the dealer and I saw an employee ask parents to remove well behaved children I would tell the dealer they will not be getting my business and leave. Because that is not a dealer I want to have a relationship with.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #130  
I think the other issue here is that how many people shopping for tractors at the dealer are actually farmers? How many people on this forum are actually farmers? (I am not) The problems with children that most on here are referring to are not actually problems with "farm" children typically. From what I have seen, most "farm" children have learned respect at an early age. The real question is (as many have eluded to) how to you set a policy that separates the good from the bad. How do you tell one family that their children are not welcome as they are looking over at another family standing there with 3 children and nobody is saying anything? If a family is not able to raise well-behaved children, they probably also can't distinguish the difference between their children and the others, and feel that they aren't being treated fairly.

I do agree that there should not be a blanket policy that indiscrimately prohibits children, it is just difficult to figure out how to handle different families with different circumstances.