Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #141  
I was offline for the weekend and I amazed at how many comments have been made on this thread. Several of you have echoed support for family friendly businesses, and thank you for the kind words! Many have mentioned liability issues. Some have said it isn't fair to write off the dealer in the original post because of one bad experience, especially since it wasn't a salesman or owner that was being "kid unfriendly".

First, I am aware that the typical kid that comes in to our business is not the typical child in the USA, and that makes me sad. Folks that work the land, have horses, raise crops, etc., even just as a hobby are often some of the nicest families and I bet they raise their kids purposely. Generally the parents will ask if their kid can climb up on a tractor before they do it. When I say yes, the kid sits up on the tractor like it is his favorite ride at Disneyland. It is just really rare to have a problem child. That being said, we do occasionally get them and we deal with that as required. But we do that with adults as well. If a guy comes in here and makes "clever" remarks to the secretaries or gets crude with his remarks in front of the employees or becomes aggressive....we ask him to leave. Those kind of weirdos worry me more than kids. But that is rare, maybe once every few years.

As far as liability issues, I worked in that particular field before I quit my real job, tossed my suit/ties and briefcase and started this business as a hobby out of my barn 12 years and several thousand tractors ago. I am very aware of litigation issues, and these things should not be taken lightly. But I refuse to run my business based principally on fears of lawsuits. Having said that, care must be taken for sure.

As for writing off the original dealer - based on what we know, they should be given another chance. We all have our grumpy days.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #142  
If my kids break something by being negligent, then I do the responsible thing and pay for it. My kids aren't any more likely to scratch a vehicle than an adult getting in an out. I don't let them run like wild animals, but I do take the time to play with them or supervise closely.

Typical tractor customer, and I mean that as a compliment. As for your comments on universal healthcare and society as a whole bearing the costs....that is a can of worms I'll not wade into! I'd discuss it over a cup of coffee, but I think I'd wear out my keyboard with that debate on a forum....

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #143  
As for your comments on universal healthcare and society as a whole bearing the costs....that is a can of worms I'll not wade into! I'd discuss it over a cup of coffee, but I think I'd wear out my keyboard with that debate on a forum....

:laughing: No doubt. I wasn't trying to bring that into the debate, I've made that mistake in the "friendly politics" section before!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #144  
I have to drive the BX for a few 100 feet on the street to get to the back yard. One very nice little guy with training wheels on his bike followed me. It is hard to drive and keep track of just where he is.

This little guy showed up frequently, One day I stopped the tractor and asked him to stay further back. I was polite and tired to put it in terms he would understand. A few days later he was back saying his mom said he did not have to listen to me.

I worried about these kids getting run over by the traffic in general. This road/state highway is one of the secondary road into town and more then a few people speed.

Why don't the parents see the danger ?

I understand not all people are like that.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?
ultrarunner. Why is it fair to judge the dealership based one what might have infrequent or one time event. You mentioned you liked the father but not the son. What is the reason behind the dislike and how deep is it. Could that be the true motivation here and you see this visit as the straw that broke the camels back? Were you looking for something like this to happen.

The father knew the business inside out and was always very helpful... I was on the fence which post hole digger I should buy and the Dad explained the benefits and made suggestions...

I ended up spending $1800 for my BX23 Post Hole Auger because the dad asked a lot of questions and I decided on buying the more expensive Pengo Augers and Landpride gearbox due to my soil conditions.

Also, the Dad would order a part with just a phone call and I would pay when I picked it up.

I now need to pay in advance for anything not in stocked. It seemed to me the Dad really enjoyed what he was doing and confided in me it was taking a toll on the mariage of the next generation.

My Deere Commercial Dealer didn't know me from Adam and apologized for not stocking the cutting edge I needed and said it would be on the next truck and would deliver to me at no charge... I said I'm just happy to get it and will stop by on Friday afterwork to pick it up...

Peterson Tractor is my CAT dealer and they have always been super kid friendly... always take a minute to make conversation and it's not like I'm ever going to buy one of their million dollar machines...

I realize things often change over time... for all I know the receptionist could have said here comes trouble... instead of driving up in my 91 Silverado... I was in my brother's new Range Rover?

In college I had business Professor that was on exchange from Japan... I really enjoyed his insight and perspectives...

One of the things I learned from him is in Japan doing for a client's/customer's family is the same as doing for the client... I found this to be very true...

Nothing in my post is meant to excuse bad behavior... child or adult.

I respect other's property better than my own and signage with company policy regarding children would be welcome.

As a child of 3... I was with my Dad picking up a car he had just bought for resale... as I was sitting in the car while my Dad was exchanging paperwork I got the idea to see what it would be like to take the cigarette lighter and put it on the tip of my finger... How anyone would think of suing the dealer for my stupid actions is just crazy.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #148  
Nothing in my post is meant to excuse bad behavior... child or adult.

I respect other's property better than my own and signage with company policy regarding children would be welcome.

As a child of 3... I was with my Dad picking up a car he had just bought for resale... as I was sitting in the car while my Dad was exchanging paperwork I got the idea to see what it would be like to take the cigarette lighter and put it on the tip of my finger... How anyone would think of suing the dealer for my stupid actions is just crazy.

Ultrarunner you will have to remember that is "Ole School" thinking. Todays thinking is lets sue and see what we can get. Somebody needs to pay for the pain and suffering endured because of the burn on that poor child's finger. As an aside I also discovered what cigarette lighters were in basically the same way.

Go purchase something today. It takes a long time just to read the do's and don't. I especially liked the one on the trim mower I recently purchased, "WARNING DO NOT INSERT HAND UNDER DECK WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNNING, SERIOUS INJURY WILL OCCUR". The fact the manufacture had to place such a label on the mower indicates to me, someone stuck his/her hand under the deck with the motor running and won a law suit because such a label was not attached to the mower.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #149  
There is a warning label on some of our Mitsubishi built Mahindra models regarding tipping or rolling the tractor over, in part is says "...tractor can become upset....". I had a lady tell me she did not want to buy a tractor that was so emotionally sensitive. :rolleyes:

^^^ That's a good one!