Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #231  
   / Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #232  
   / Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #233  
Some can't differentiate the dangers between a stationary tractor at a dealership and one involved in active farming.

A stationary tractor with all implements (3pt and loader) in no energy state (ie: lowered to the ground, engine off) is not a dangerous thing in any way.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #235  
Some can't differentiate the dangers between a stationary tractor at a dealership and one involved in active farming.

A stationary tractor with all implements (3pt and loader) in no energy state (ie: lowered to the ground, engine off) is not a dangerous thing in any way.

Very true, unless someone is playing "King Of The Mountain" falls off the mountain and strike their head on cold hard steel. Also how many parents are also explaining a tractor is a dangerous piece of equipment and not something to run towards when a small child sees or hears one?

These death stats says to me, not many are: "Farm children are at special risk from farm-related accidents. Most of the 200-plus deaths among children on farms result from being innocent bystanders or passengers on farm equipment. Some farm children begin working in farm environments by age 10, many times without adequate training or supervision."

200 hundred children in one year..................

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #236  

Take a combine for example. The platform is what? about 6 feet from the ground? Try a face plant into concrete or gravel at the height, you might re-evaluate that statement. You want to have your kids to play, take them to the park. I don't take my kids to a dealership to play, but I do take them to do business there. Kids shouldn't be encouraged to play everywhere. Different places, different hats. Play structure = play. Dealership = place of business. I'm not saying to stop curiosity though.

Last edited:
   / Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #237  
I get the feeling that many here think children are animals that should be kept in cages. How else are they supposed to learn manners and how to function in the real world if we don't take them out in it. I think many are missing the point that when Ultrarunner was essentially told to go away and come back later, his niece and nephew weren't running amuck. Sure there are bad kids and parents that allow them to act that way, but if you make the decision as a business that all kids and parents are that way, you have to accept that you will lose a portion of your business. I wouldn't hesitate taking my 10 year old daughter to a dealership, no she isn't perfect, she is all kid, but she wouldn't be allowed to run amuck either. If I was told she wasn't welcome it would certainly affect my relationship with that dealer.

Brian

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #238  
I get the feeling that many here think children are animals that should be kept in cages. How else are they supposed to learn manners and how to function in the real world if we don't take them out in it. I think many are missing the point that when Ultrarunner was essentially told to go away and come back later, his niece and nephew weren't running amuck. Sure there are bad kids and parents that allow them to act that way, but if you make the decision as a business that all kids and parents are that way, you have to accept that you will lose a portion of your business. I wouldn't hesitate taking my 10 year old daughter to a dealership, no she isn't perfect, she is all kid, but she wouldn't be allowed to run amuck either. If I was told she wasn't welcome it would certainly affect my relationship with that dealer.

Brian

I think Tractorbynet and this posting is a children friendly place. All recognize children need to be exposed to different and various thing when young. This is how children learn. I think the concerns on child safety expressed here are directed toward the parent who takes children to a tractor or automotive dealership and turn them loose without any supervision and treats the dealership as if it was a "Child Friendly Theme Park".

In my opinion trips to a dealership should be both, learning and educational. No one I think would object to a well mannered and supervised child. I think a lot would and will object to the "Destructive Terror" showing up with a parent who has been trained by the terror, instead of the terror being trained by the parent.

Terrors are everywhere. One dumped food down the back of my shirt one time in a restaurant. The parents got a real case of face when I objected. There explanation was "Kids are Kids" and one must accept that.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #239  

At rest and on the ground farm equipment is still dangerous. Lots of hard blunt surfaces and sharp ones too. As kids we were not allowed to play on it. I vividly recall the grief I got for crawling up the side of the combine.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #240  
Life is full of hard sharp objects.

How many times do we see people lamenting the bubblewrapping of our children, yet in this thread, many are pushing that we do just that.

Ive never said that a combine is a jungle gym, but my kids are respectful (ive beat it into them ;)) and if they want to have a peek at the drivers station on a machine and it's a "safe" climb then they can. As a parent, the responsibility for any injury is mine alone.